Topic: Changes to Intrusions!

I <3 the Devs!! the new intrusion system is going to rock!!

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

Re: Changes to Intrusions!

I agree it looks awesome.

AXE JOKE ECORP N-A CIR

*edit: He wanted to say he's overly enthusiastic. - DEV Zoom

*edit: Removed non-appropriate quote. - DEV Zoom

I agree with almost all of this!

AXE JOKE ECORP N-A CIR

oooh, big_smile, I've played this game before =]

Did the acronym start with W and ended with an R?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I posted this elsewhere, but I figured I'd share my thoughts on the forums here as well.

I like the idea, it's a solid foundation that actually nurtures activity in the beta areas. It also serves as a proxy for creating PvP as people seek these SAP's for their own OP or to harass the opposition. I still don't think it will solve the disparity of beta interest though. They need to buff up the perks to owning an OP or being on beta so that people actually want one. This release should go hand in hand with the new auras or something else in reflection of making the OP's more appealing. This change however is not unlike what I've mentioned before. The Dev's keep altering existing systems which is keeping them from actually adding new content to keep players interested. If they simply add just this, it will only really change how people control OP's. It still won't touch on actually getting people to want one. In fact, without better perks this new prolonged capturing and control system could deter people from putting in effort if the reward seems lack-luster

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

8 (edited by AeonThePiglet 2011-07-29 00:22:52)

itt, I am very *very* "excited".

Remember the end of the DoW2 intro? Where the Eldar witch is dying and pointing towards the oncoming Tyranid hive fleet?

I feel that a certain island will find the look on the Space Marine's face captures how they feel about this change.

Man we just went from beta in a few months to "we are coming" all in the space of one amazing change. And the best part? We ain't the only corp that feels that way.

It is soooo on.

Edit: FOOM duder is right that it will be a pain in the nuts getting value out of it, and that logi will be miserable. But the thing is this change makes it possible for us to take something without really needin allies or heavies or any of that. We can just go out and do what we love doing and win. That right there? That tight.

That also is exactly what people have been begging for in eve for years.

9 (edited by Mammoth 2011-07-29 00:36:54)

Grim Faust wrote:

They need to buff up the perks to owning an OP or being on beta so that people actually want one.

How many outposts have no owner right now? Looks like people want them to me. Now they'll have to live there if they want to hold them too. Plus:

"getting paid when other groups use the outpost"
"block other corporations from entering"
"high discounts for services"
"maximum relation benefits"
"lock the Outpost docking mechanism"
"Aura-type bonuses"

On top of higher level facilities plus fast access to epriton, t4-5 kernels, higher level decoders from ratting and better artifact sites. There's a long list of advantages to outpost ownership. If you can't figure out a way to use them effectively that's not the games fault.

There needs to be a balance between enough incentive to take one, and so much incentive that you can't take one unless you have one.

Also, the mechanic probably ought to turn the outpost over to whoever captured the most once 0 is hit. Otherwise the owner can ignore sap fights until the last day, have a bunch of allies show and cap it to zero and then take the next that pops while covering the gates.

That's how I'd exploit it, personally.

11 (edited by Friedrich Psitalon 2011-07-29 00:30:13)

AeonThePiglet wrote:

Also, the mechanic probably ought to turn the outpost over to whoever captured the most once 0 is hit. Otherwise the owner can ignore sap fights until the last day, have a bunch of allies show and cap it to zero and then take the next that pops while covering the gates.

So you want to ignore the benefits and lose every reason to hold the outpost until the last day when it's basically worthless, count on your allies to show up and stay there for an unknown period of time that might be up to 24 hours, and do full gate duty for you while you capture the last SAP?

Instead of just running maintenance on your outpost and capturing them yourself once in awhile to maintain maximum benefits?

You never know when the SAPs are going to spawn, according to this. I'm not waiting around for 24 hours after it hits 0% hoping to get it the very next time. I'd rather keep my outpost at full blast and full benefits all along.

Mammoth wrote:
Grim Faust wrote:

They need to buff up the perks to owning an OP or being on beta so that people actually want one.

How many outposts have no owner right now? Looks like people want them to me. Now they'll have to live there if they want to hold them too. Plus:

"getting paid when other groups use the outpost"
"block other corporations from entering"
"high discounts for services"
"maximum relation benefits"
"may also lock the Outpost docking mechanism"

On top of fast access to epriton, t4-5 kernels, higher level decoders from ratting and better artifact sites. There's a long list of advantages to outpost ownership. If you can't figure out a way to use them effectively that's not the games fault.

There needs to be a balance between enough incentive to take one, and so much incentive that you can't take one unless you have one.

For the record I accidently reported this post. I thought I was writing a reply, yet ended up writing a report instead. Hooray for the effects of long work days! Lol

Anyway, what I was generally saying ( as my brain has pretty much already forgotten ) however many OP's that are vacant right now is really a moot point. If you want to make a point to enforcing OP's being appealing at the moment you'd have to look at how many have actually changed hands due to people contending for them. Sitting on an OP because no one else cares to fight you for it and the actual contention of the land for beneficial perks are two very different situations... and I'm leaning on our situation as being the former.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

Well they already provide a massive logistical advantage, and it's growing, along with some minor tactical advantages being added. Any further additions are going to result in 'no one cares to fight you for it because the only people that can already have one'. In fact, I'm inclined to think that's already the case.

It strikes me that perhaps some more incentive to holding more than one outpost would be a good idea though. Particularly with these incoming changes increasing the difficulty of doing so.

Friedrich Psitalon wrote:
AeonThePiglet wrote:

So you want to ignore the benefits and lose every reason to hold the outpost until the last day when it's basically worthless, count on your allies to show up and stay there for an unknown period of time that might be up to 24 hours, and do full gate duty for you while you capture the last SAP?

Instead of just running maintenance on your outpost and capturing them yourself once in awhile to maintain maximum benefits?

You never know when the SAPs are going to spawn, according to this. I'm not waiting around for 24 hours after it hits 0% hoping to get it the very next time. I'd rather keep my outpost at full blast and full benefits all along.

No bro, you misread. I said exploit, not use. Example: a tiny group holds an outpost they cannot possibly protect on one island purely to prevent another corp from grabbing it. Buuuuut they have a big protector on the other side of the map. They can't stop the saps, but they don't have to because no one really lives there anyway.

When the outpost gets to near zero their distant protector calls a cta and puts a bunch of toys inside while keeping a couple people out looking for saps. One gets found, they lock the island and do it.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Remember you can stop a snowball by showing up and interrupting one cap. Just one.

Would it be difficult? No doubt. Also for the attacker. Can you imagine it happening in the near future? I can think of a spot where it would. And in the future when perp grows? Definitely.

By that logic, Pig, the Corp that successfully organises and implements such an operation would deserve to hold it IMO.

I really like these changes.

Will make owning an outpost mean you've been able to defend it and you are actively inhabiting the area... great change.

This also creates the opportunities for ad-hoc small scale objective based pvp engagements with meaning.

Digging it... Great job Devs.

No more "dockup & wait for them to leave" with no consequences, awesome. My corp now has an actual reason to bring everyone for the roam. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Hopefully these changes will provide certain allainces sufficient reason to reset some or all of it's parts. I'm still seeing alot of reasons for wanting to be friendly with people because at some point you might need their help. This will give them less incentive as now you don't have to have so many friends you'll be protected at a certian time, every 3 days.

Best thing about this system is the room for growth. New players and corporations will be able to move in. I don't currently think there's a corp around that could manage to consistently control the area around 2 outposts, all the time, espically if they're under attack at either outpost, on seperate islands. I'd certainly enjoy watching someone try to prove me wrong about that tongue

This seems like a good change. Hopefully ego will do what ego does best and piss someone off soon, or people realize that with this change they don't have to follow egos orders anymore...

Reset each other yet?

This should hopefully clear the way for more trade too. Having corporations with live operations on the Islands makes then safer for travel, since there's eyes out working the area's, instead of just 1 guy on the teleporter and who knows what on the interior.

Of course, trying haul during a roam or active SAP is still going to end poorly, but that's what intel is all about.

I don't know about that Arga. ATM there are advantages to letting neutrals use your territory (not that anyone has realised or is taking advantage of that, but it's beside the point). Post changes, if you're anywhere near someones outpost, you're automatically a hostile (again, this is currently the case, but through player behaviour, not game mechanics).

So, now if I am neutral they're going to shoot me and with the change they're going to shoot me...

At the moment, if someone rolls up to your outpost with a Lithus, they could be carrying a belly load of bots and refits to stash at the outpost.

Once you can set relations, you can allow known traders such as myself, to dock knowing that even if I do have war material (which I may be delivering for that outpost to use), that the enemy couldn't dock there and buy that item to refit with.

If an area isn't stable, then it's less likely to have steady trasnport traffic anyway.

But there's a difference between roaming up to an outpost with pew pew and rolling up in haulers or miners. If your there to exploit the area, farming or mining, and the area is stable, then you know that they are controlling the area and you should get permission at minimum and probably pay. Since the owners now get income, you'll actually want to encourage players to come mine and refine as a source of income, not all corps of course, but the ones that encourage it will be richer for it.

Arga wrote:

So, now if I am neutral they're going to shoot me and with the change they're going to shoot me...

At the moment, if someone rolls up to your outpost with a Lithus, they could be carrying a belly load of bots and refits to stash at the outpost.

Once you can set relations, you can allow known traders such as myself, to dock knowing that even if I do have war material (which I may be delivering for that outpost to use), that the enemy couldn't dock there and buy that item to refit with.

If an area isn't stable, then it's less likely to have steady trasnport traffic anyway.

But there's a difference between roaming up to an outpost with pew pew and rolling up in haulers or miners. If your there to exploit the area, farming or mining, and the area is stable, then you know that they are controlling the area and you should get permission at minimum and probably pay. Since the owners now get income, you'll actually want to encourage players to come mine and refine as a source of income, not all corps of course, but the ones that encourage it will be richer for it.

Agree to use their facilities, as that will bring profit, and will be an incentive for the owning corp to keep stability high, ensuring maximum benefit and reassuring that you are safe in operating there.

->You just lost The Game<-

Big thumbs up from me. Great improvement to the mechanic.

ownership appeal is likley to be dictated by this 'relationship benefit'

Currently having high relations only actually benefits production by a small percentage.  If that improves substantially with the new system then outposts could be way more appealing.

if indeed the new system generates a lot more pvp, then its going to become a battle of resources and those production benefits will be really important.

But if 'maximum benefit from relations' is still only a few % then it probably wont effect appeal that much at all.  Just go alpha.

I can't see anything bad in these changes but I do think that holding off on implementing them until they can be put out along with the enhancements to Outpost ownership (auras, buildable defenses, etc.) are ready would make outpost ownership that much more desirable.