Topic: Rethinking teleports

I know a lot of people will hate this idea but I think we should consider doing away with island to island teleports.

The problem I see is that even though items are stored locally the economy is basically global.  No matter where you are, you are only minutes away from anywhere else.  I can hit all 3 main terminals in a triangle run in under 10 minutes. 

Since you are never really far from anywhere else there is no localized economies.  A person selling at TM is pretty much directly competing with a person selling from Tellesis.  Sure you may see small variations from one terminal to another but such near instant travel from anywhere to anywhere means islands can't develop their own separate economies, which imo would add more depth to the game.

I don't know how I would propose to change the current system tbh.  A series of land bridges connecting the islands maybe?  I'm not sure.  Unless the bridges were significantly long enough, maybe even with mob spawns scattered across them, they would still do little to change the current economic situation.  Any change would also require another huge rebalancing of the transport missions which they are already about to do once.

I just wanted to throw this idea out for discussion and get ideas on.  A major change like this would be something best done while the game is still new rather than 2 years in or some such.

So for discussion: 
Do you think the game would benefit in the long term from true local economies?

If so how would you change the current travel system to encourage local economic growth and variation?

Re: Rethinking teleports

Let the game grow so we have a flexible market and we will talk then, ok?

This could be a good idea, but not possible atm.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

well, travel von shinjalar terminal to tellesis terminal - its good distance.

now imagine another set of island, expanding the circle. Travel times from one end to the other will increase.

sooner or later the distance between the inner noob alpha center and the outer terminals will grow into a very long and dangerous travel that you cannot do in a few minutes.

in two years hauling from one end to the other will take hours...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

make the world round ffs!

Again, market will reborn itself if here will be few giant continents with cities, highways, corporation pos-based outposts etc.

The current island system is compromise between sandbox and multi-server system

Wait, you mean you want it to take LONGER to travel around? No thanks.

Wait until you're in a lithus or other heavy mechs who's top speed with nexus is 64-65. Hershfield -> Tellesis is 1 hour, round trip. That's plenty long enough to me to justify paying more, or selling for less, but plenty of people don't agree. It's the reason I moved to Tellesis recently, as there were more people there buying ores, and the sell orders were better then on hershfield.

7 (edited by Segreto 2011-07-27 14:45:27)

When there are more players, established players, make another set of islands.  Expand the present world; do not diminish it.  I agree, though, I like the idea of different economies supporting areas of the game, and not this seamingly small world connected by insta-travel.  Good ideas.  Lets just wait for a bigger world both in terms of players, resources and playable areas before we start cutting each other off.

The market is just one small part of the game, getting from Island to Island for PVP and resource gathering would be highly negatively impacted by slowing travel; i.e. it would be totally boring and frustating to take 2 hours to get to a beta Island.

The world is still new, this is technically just a regional market. There's no reason to artificially try to make the world larger, in fact highways are making the world smaller and more accessable, and that's better.

Consider too, that there are only a couple dozen players on each Island, there's not enough population either to support local markets.

The world is still new, this is technically just a regional market.

I think that is a great way to understand the current situation. With more people comes the need for more islands, thus the travel distance increases and diversity occurs.

Annihilator wrote:

well, travel von shinjalar terminal to tellesis terminal - its good distance.

I just did that yesterday for the first time in my no-LWF seq at a sluggish 46 kph (armor tanked because I'm a loser)...it took a long while.  I don't think that the game really needs to be fractured any further.  Sure there's incentive to nerf transport missions in doing that, but they're getting the tender love of the DEV's mighty nerfbat anyway.

I'd agree with Arga about the regional market comparison, but I can't for two reasons:

1) I hate comparing Perp to EVE since it's been done to death already.

2) Arga told me that I'm not allowed to make PIE look stupid by posting my foolishness on the forum.

So then, even though he's made a great point, it's clear that everything he posted is utterly wrong.  Nevertheless, things should remain as they are so we can move about as freely as we do now.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

How about just set up another area of 12 or so islands like the one currently in use...  have a central transit hub that actually costs some hefty NIC to use, per the class of bot going through.
Resources across regions would be differently distributed, with a few unique to each region.

That would spread things out, and do so with relative speed with the main terminals being centrally located.   Now, let's say you've got three such archipelagos, each one would have a transit hub on one of the 'starter' islands, turning those three islands into a Central regional market but allow secondary regional markets to build on distant island groups due to the cost of transit between them.

In the future, anyway.

yea just because you can smell the fresh air on another island does not mean your on that island.  All your doing is opening the front (or back) door looking in and then leaving.

Takes forever to roam an entire island even in fast lights.  But thats not to say I dont disagree about somehow changing teleports or rather, some other means to reach islands.

We have, what, 6 Beta islands?  which theoretically means that only 6 alliances / power-bloc's can exist.  Say what you want about blobs but it seems to me the game is designed to encourage it.

Theres no way two enemy's can live on the same island, so there would have to be some mutual agreement for scouting the teleport exits.  so an alliance or some large single corp is the only way it can work.

If and when the game does grow to the extent that all 6 islands are populated, what then?  Slap on more islands, that encourage more blobbing?

Something drastic has got to change!  And the only thing that I can think of is an achipelago of little islands and some kind of sea faring transport neutral

13 (edited by AeonThePiglet 2011-07-28 19:15:38)

You people are insane.

Going from Shinj to TMA on NV takes about fifteen minutes if you don't take the Daoden route, and a couple minutes less if you do. And that in a 60-70 seq. Trips from Shinj to one of the other a2 islands simply aren't viable with a hauler, not if I want to have any time to do anything else that day. A twenty to thirty minute round trip from outpost to outpost of two next door islands is plenty long enough, thanks.

Just hitting the all the prime spots for finding people on a single beta island can take an hour. We've roamed all of Nova (with 50 something on in their alliance channel) and weren't spotted once. Nor did we see more than a couple of people wandering about. If we were able to build structures, we could have put one up and it wouldn't have been seen for days.

If you mostly stick near the stations and highways, then I imagine that the map seems very small to you indeed. To me, pvping off road in an 80kph light fit bot, the map is enormous and filled with local variation.

As far as a lack of economic variation, that's bollocks too. Despite us buying out every corp and public sell order that gets listed in Shinj there's still plenty of unmet demand at above TMA/Tellesis prices. If you're not happy selling there then walk over to our dang island and sell. FOOM, TOG, 62nd, F-Navy, Chaos, SK, M2S, PL, NEX and a bunch of other sizable corps have a big presence on Shinj because we all like to play on the two adjacent beta islands and we all kind of need a place to carebear and such in peace.

So, yeah, take advantage of the actual existing local markets rather than complaining that you don't walk far enough :boggle: while hitting two markets and ignoring the rest.

I mean seriously land bridges? What the heck are people smoking in here!

BugSplat wrote:

How about just set up another area of 12 or so islands like the one currently in use...

While I'm all about growth, there's a point at which the game's population might be spread so thinly that the game turns into a single player version of internet robots with a built-in chat channel.  Perp would probably get too lonely if the land area were doubled.  MMO's need a certain minimum number of existing players per square kilometer to reach the critical mass point where new players would find the world populated enough to stick around past a trial period.  Significant expansion may not be beneficial at this time.  Later, when there are more bots chugging around, then it'd make more sense to grow the land area.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/