1 (edited by Hunter 2011-07-25 10:32:11)

Topic: Industrial collapse

Corrected version.

This has been made for dev Calvin. It would be very good if he’ll write "I read this" after he will read. This is not the guide to action and it’s only my thought.

Dear developers. I try to speak about balance as little as possible. Mainly because I think that balancing should be done by authors, not players, second reason is that there are a lot of people with whom I do not want to communicate (because discussions with them is reduced to small talks). But your plans shock me and even frighten.

1) Why beginners should be competitors to old production workers?

Extensions: the Old production worker plays from the release, has bought the preorder, played all this time, built server economy. In general, wasted time and also money. And now you will make so that the beginner comes and makes to it a serious competition???
Relations: I, as well as many production workers in our corporation made the big efforts: organized campaigns for a raising of relations of fighting corporations and now you want to cross out with ease these hours? Very interesting.

2) Who has told that it is hard for beginners to play?
In our corporation there are many production workers, which manufacture the equipment for itself. They dig resources, overwork and have quite good earnings. Nobody complains. All understand that it’s necessary to raise relations to manufacture more effectively.
Motivation: the Person should understand accurately dependence of extensions and the relation on efficiency. The first depends only on a subscription, it can raise the second, playing. Playing. While the player tries, while it is difficult, while it will be necessary to organize groups for raising relations it is that what to strive for.

3) What’s the need to make such big changes in the game system? You are going to bring global revolution in the game world with this upcoming patch. What for? I think, it would be wiser to tweak game mechanic more gradually, knowing what was good and what went bad, not rushing like that.

4) Where did it come from: there was a topic at the forum were some alpha players have complained that active beta players have advantage. That to lift reputation is difficult(Especially on beta islands). But you should see that current relation system already works and it is balanced very good. Who wants to play - that plays and receives from game everything that he wants.

5) Why the history repeats?

Certainly I apologize very much, but it looks that way:
Someone started a topic at the forum complained a bit and you obediently have gone to do what those players asked you to do. Don’t you think that failure of such way of reacting is obvious? You deprive of motivation those players which play for a long time and are going to play still for a long time (?) for the sake of those who will enter, will play one month and will leave?

Mine some cents (IMHO):
From the very beginning you didn't pay attention to the fact that only those outposts are valuable which has a refinery, recycling and repair bonus. The bonus of decoding, prototyping and mass production is so insignificant that there is a question between corporations who will posess outposts with bonuses of processings. How to be with other outposts? They are empty because there is no point in living there..

Everyone should understand that any balancing generates only new a disbalance.

Сайт корпорации: www.chaos-online.ru
Раздел приема в корпорацию: http://www.chaos-online.ru/foru....-perpetuum/

Re: Industrial collapse

TL;DR  and i just couldn't make any sense of that at all sorry.

It's OK, he wrote it just for the devs anyway, no need to understand or respond.

for understandig is enough http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

Ok going by what is planed and what i can make out in your post correct me if I'm wrong is that industry change with make the effort you and your corp put in to specialize etc will be all for nothing come patch day.

However as i understand it will only effect primarily tech1 items making new players able to make ammo and standard gear early on. Would that really have a great effect on you, couldn't it make it easier also for older players?

Hunter wrote:

Expansions: the Old production worker plays from the release beginning, has bought the preorder, played all this time, built server economy.

Stopped reading here. Really? What server economy do you speak of? Because in the game I'm playing there is basically none.

So yeah. Defend your 'time spent' while new industrialists have 2 timewalls (ep/standing) before they can 'compete' with you even on stuff not worth producing (cause loot is cheaper anyway).

Has forgotten to apologize for bad English.

It is not necessary to judge game economy, looking at the market. Believe to me, there are huge transactions on inside alliances.

Umm, then why do you care about the impact new producers will have on 'the economy', when you operate basically outside of it?

And why you ask, if the market empty? The road for new production workers is opened.

10 (edited by Hunter 2011-07-25 10:26:33)

Furthermore we also plan to replace all epriton based components in T1 modules. This and the above changes will allow for a much easier and competitive entry to the industrialist career.

- This is really BAD IDEA!!!!
Esptitum removal will remove it and from processing. Hunters will cease to benefit on an alpha islands. They will be useful only to kernels and base components (in PvE).

Industrial extentions are not going to change. The proposed changes only apply to simple items, ammo and basic T1 modules, but most T1 modules come from shooting NPC. Ammo will become cheaper, which I think is good, hardly anything else will change.
Old industrial characters do not make their Nic from T1 modules.

12 (edited by Bankir 2011-07-25 11:16:42)

My personal position.
1) I agree that removing relations with combat corporations from the eficiency % may look as a good idea. The only thing that needs to be clarified is the question - does this game solo-oriented or it is more corporation-oriented. Because if it's more of a solo-game now, then it's a brilliant idea. New manufacturer will need only month or so to get a shielded termis and run through all missions like a rocket(I already planned the mission route with the featured Zombiepilot). In this case btw forget about making beta islands and beta outposts at least a bit attractive to the new players. But if it's more of a corporation-oriented game, then I don't understand this "tweak". Making combat missions with industry-char is kinda long and hard way. You need corpmates to make it + you need some specific extensions to be able to do anything there. It's hard, but it's nice to feel yourself a part of a corporation when you gather your corpmates to help someone with relations raising. Still, if the game has gone to solo-style, I won't say anything except #2(see below)
2) I want to thank the person, who "invented a wheel" in relations system and the one who is implementing it now. Especially I am grateful for those useless extensions on industry characters, and for the time which I lost trying to do those combat assignments.
3) About removing espitium from t1. I suggest to remove the high-grade recycling skill from the game or reset this skill after that patch. I think I am not the only one who doesn't recycle t2-t3-t4. And without espitium in t1, I think that this skill will be pretty useless.
P.S. BTW relation changes make it attractive for anyone to become single-guy-corp middleman. Alpha islands ftw...

Bankir wrote:

3) About removing espitium from t1. I suggest to remove the high-grade recycling skill from the game or reset this skill after that patch. I think I am not the only one who doesn't recycle t2-t3-t4. And without espitium in t1, I think that this skill will be pretty useless.
P.S. BTW relation changes make it attractive for anyone to become single-guy-corp middleman. Alpha islands ftw...

Totally agree "High grade recycling" aint a cheap skill so a reimburse would be very welcome if it becomes uselss as Bankir pointed, same as diplo or parallel assign extensions if u ask me; imo keep it as it is now, as i doubt these fixes will help much younger players, as T1 modules are mostlly feeded by loots and artifacts and farming them for recyling or as produciton step would become pointles.

In order to ease the new producers way, i would bend more towards manufacturing assignements; the required product can be easier/cheaper to produce than the non assigned one, maby provide 1 use CT, or old one (more expensive then), where once produced the required item it would get buyed by syndicate for a "x" amount of cash or simply let the manufacturer sell it on market.

I don't understand this thread... I doubt beginners will be competing with new players for a long time on the market due to the kernel nerf. Actually, the first players had an easier time than these new players will have.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

While the additional boost to refining is important when competing against similarly advanced characters, it's not an issue for new industrialists when compared to the advanced.

Having 10/10/10 in factory effciency extensions provides 60% reduction in factory materials before relations are even considered. Getting (3) extensions to 10 is not something that a new player would be capable of doing, while at the same time increasing Refining to level 10.

Where the relation bonus comes into play is when the small alpha producer with 10/10/10 - 10, is competeing with a corporate beta producer with the same extensions, but with access to level 3 refining AND maximum relation bonus.

And none of that has anything to do with why the combat relations are being removed. In fact the arguement has passed beyond that into WHY is there even a relation grind for Indy players and none for Combat players. This thread does nothing but attempt to revert the argument back to a single item of the relation system, while its the whole system that needs to be reviewed.

First of all, I strongly disagree that the developers should do whatever they want and not listen to player feedback, on the contrary I believe that is one of the strongest appeals of this game. It's also funny that you're directing your post to the DEVs, and asking to not listen to others, but they should listen to you?

Secondly, if your complaint is about the relation changes, you do not seem to realize that this is a change that benefits new players heavily. However, note that the reasoning that ‘Oh I have high relations, so therefore this is a great system and must stay’ is not a valid point, and that sort of conservatism it what can if anything creates the newbie-vs-veteran difference you seem to despise in the first place. Also, though I can a bit see Bankirs point of Corp VS Solo, here I would like to point out the already insanely long kernel grind (from a solo perspective), would it hurt having one grind that's doable for an individual at least? Large corporations will also have access to level 3 factories and refineries, already gaining a large advantage over solo alpha producers (which I have stated in other threads I am fine with, as this is a gain for increased risk).

Thirdly, have you missed that the upcoming changes (in terms on introducing complexity on modules and bots) will make it far easier for new producers to compete against the veterans? Correct me if I'm wrong, but how it's phrased it seems as if this will be gradual increase in complexity, and not at all only affect standard items. It will allow newcomers to first compete in the low-end goods, and as they gain EP, capital and experience they can start expanding into higher-tiered goods and bots. Without having seen the fine details yet I applaud the DEVs for this system.

Finally, about removing espitium on standard items. In large, I am not too bothered. Note that some standard items are difficult to obtain from NPCs, and they have quite high prices, the change will facilitate production of this, which will drive down prices and make them more accesible. In my opinion a good thing, I might agree that high-grade refining EP should be reimbursed.

TL;DR: A lot of whine and no substance. The new changes are making it significantly easier for new producers, and the DEVs are making powerful changes which ensures they can compete well.

17 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-25 19:17:35)

Arga wrote:

Having 10/10/10 in factory effciency extensions provides 60% reduction in factory materials before relations are even considered.

Not quite true arga, formula works on 1/(1+0.02*ExtensionLevels), so it's more of a 40% reduction with full ME. If you compare someone with 5/5/5 (which is quite low, even for a new producer), this yield a 25% reduction. If you compare these two the difference can certainly be compensated with through other means (relations, lvl 3 refinery).

Thanks for the correction smile

well, the industrial changes will change the production to be more user-friendly

lvl1 decoder will have a use now. its not about competition - its simply about "worth to produce"

look at ammo: is it worth to build ammo? Its the most basic thing ingame , which all trials or noobs mark as "to expensive".
No, its not worth building ammo as a new player, because if you get your hands on a lvl1 decoder, it still means you have to put twice commodities into it, which you refine from 150% of the ore, and the CT degrades after 1 cycle to need even more material.

They cannont put up a cycle with 8 items at once like an veteral producer: they get less profitable stuff from a single cycle.

This will be adressed. Current Vets in production got:
1. access to high decoder
2. access to high refinery + high extension in refining
3. high extension (ME)
4. high standing
5. high extensionlevel in "more items per cycle" <- totally ignored in most discussion
6. access to market with their funds + tax reduction + hauling capacity

those points cummulate exponentially, which is wrong and is probably taken care of...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

20 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-07-25 22:54:54)

Annihilator wrote:

well, the industrial changes will change the production to be more user-friendly

lvl1 decoder will have a use now. its not about competition - its simply about "worth to produce"

look at ammo: is it worth to build ammo? Its the most basic thing ingame , which all trials or noobs mark as "to expensive".
No, its not worth building ammo as a new player, because if you get your hands on a lvl1 decoder, it still means you have to put twice commodities into it, which you refine from 150% of the ore, and the CT degrades after 1 cycle to need even more material.

They cannont put up a cycle with 8 items at once like an veteral producer: they get less profitable stuff from a single cycle.

This will be adressed. Current Vets in production got:
1. access to high decoder
2. access to high refinery + high extension in refining
3. high extension (ME)
4. high standing
5. high extensionlevel in "more items per cycle" <- totally ignored in most discussion
6. access to market with their funds + tax reduction + hauling capacity

those points cummulate exponentially, which is wrong and is probably taken care of...

Several valid points. However, I do not fully agree on the decoder part, as even the veterans wont use high level decoders on ammo, so not real disadvantage there (as lvl 5's and lower are supercheap). Further, ME advantage will be diminished with introduction of complexity (I hope) on the lower end scale where new producers would produce. Then, hopefully we'll slow get rid of that relations stuff!

The cycle one is a good point though, perhaps increase the base of modules per cycle to 3?

@Hunter:
Correct me if im wrong, but you offer to make production role pointless for all new players? I mean, if they will be unable to compete or sorta, why should they care to play this role? Why they should even spend a single ep for that? As a result we will get a little group of old producers controlling the market. Imho thats bad for economics.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Finally, about removing espitium on standard items. In large, I am not too bothered. Note that some standard items are difficult to obtain from NPCs, and they have quite high prices, the change will facilitate production of this, which will drive down prices and make them more accesible. In my opinion a good thing, I might agree that high-grade refining EP should be reimbursed.

TL;DR: A lot of whine and no substance. The new changes are making it significantly easier for new producers, and the DEVs are making powerful changes which ensures they can compete well.

that should be the main benefit. I was looking for kinetic hardeners and the price os 3x of seismic ones just because seismic and thermals drop a lot from NPCs. I asked a producer in my corp to build me kinetic hardeners since they are realy expensive. the reply was that the market price is below his production cost !!! that's seriously wrong. T1 should be easy to build and available to as broad a producer range as possible.

Right, so summarized we need a economy to begin with (and I'll be perfectly happy to not empty my wallet every time I need a T1 item), and all those capable should be focusing on producing the higher-end stuff.

My guess is, btw, once there's a solid T1 economy, trial limitations might just be lifted in favor of a good experience (especially missiles might just really hurt conversion rates).

with the announced changes on CT creation - even the trials can build their basic ammo cheap.

it really makes a difference if you start with twice the material cost for a single stack, or with 1,1 times from lvl1 decoder.

sidenote: Hugh Ruka - kinetic hardeners drop from arbiter waspish upwards. pelistal robots lack 1 lower slot, so you don't find it very often. Farm the right bot and you get them in same quantity wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

25 (edited by Hugh Ruka 2011-08-02 07:29:08)

Annihilator wrote:

with the announced changes on CT creation - even the trials can build their basic ammo cheap.

it really makes a difference if you start with twice the material cost for a single stack, or with 1,1 times from lvl1 decoder.

sidenote: Hugh Ruka - kinetic hardeners drop from arbiter waspish upwards. pelistal robots lack 1 lower slot, so you don't find it very often. Farm the right bot and you get them in same quantity wink

I do farm arbiter waspishes now just by coincidence. however the market price difference is very visible. this should not be the case for t1 items.

as for the slot, I'd gladly trade one head for a leg slot on my waspish. that's why I'm heading for waspish mk2 atm.