Topic: Market bug - Purchase from any seller

Not sure if this is intended or not, but I've noticed that you can select which sell order to buy from, instead of the cheapest being bought first.

While this is possibly not a bug, I just feel it could be used as an exploit for money laundering. Also newer players might get caught out as well.

Re: Market bug - Purchase from any seller

it was requested to be able to sell or by from all availiable offers, not only the max/min one,
and got granted in one of the recent patches

care to explain how this could be exploitable...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Fair enough if it was requested, just something odd I noticed.

Money could be siphoned around using specific sales which look rather innocent compared to direct money transfers. I'm mainly referring to Real Money Trading of course, I just see it as a way to make tracking a little harder.

Also not sure how the market trends are calculated, but it could also be used for manipulation of prices by someone selling to themselves, if it is calculated by sales and not orders anyway.

Since this is a requested feature and not a bug, feel free to close it.

Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

Also not sure how the market trends are calculated, but it could also be used for manipulation of prices by someone selling to themselves, if it is calculated by sales and not orders anyway.

Good point, can anyone confirm?

Thats always going to happen in any game with a auction house or market such as the one in game.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:
Rodger Wilcoe wrote:

Good point, can anyone confirm?

Yes it is calculated by sales not orders. Of course it is or we would not have min, avg, and high price graphs to look at.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Go ahead and try to manipulate market averages, but be prepared to pay the taxes on those sales, even at 2% it can get pretty hefty if you want to make any significant changes.

I was one that wanted to be able to buy/sell to any order.  I personally dont like 0.01 NIC bids, and will sell to the square number over getting 0.01NIC more per item.  I know its competition, but at least make it a few NIC more, or a few thousand for larger items.

->You just lost The Game<-

There are a lot of reasons for this to be very very bad.
I'll just list a few.

- It make it possible to trade on the market at a value that is not the current market value. In other words the market will not work as a market but like a contract system.
- No matter how much the market develops (forget the fact that this very mechanic may prevent it from developing), it will make it possible to use it to launder money (and for that reason you'll never be able to let trials operate on the market).
- No trader with more than two active neurons will provide liquidity to a contract system: you need a real market where at any given moment in time the call and put valuations are known. There's no way to assess risk of providing liquidity and leveraging a spread if the spread is not certain.
- There is no way to place blocking orders.

Note that this impacts not only the market, but also the other things that depend on the existence of a solid market. Like production and the economy in general.

Avatar Creations have a lot to learn about economy
-- Snowman