Topic: NPC Rank Icons

It would be useful to see what rank an NPC is without having to click through them all.

For example, a pelistal superior observer would have an "S" by the mech box icon. 1-5 Stars would have a star and then the number inside. Easy enough?

I know most of the people here have at least once gotten to close to a superior observer mistaking it for just another mob in the spawn.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Re: NPC Rank Icons

Meh.  If you know an island well enough you'll realize when theres something where it shouldnt be, or of theres more there than there should be.

Maybe we should just add an auto-distance feature so you are incapable of running within 1000m of an observer unless you uncheck a warning box that pops up every time an observer appears on radar!

.... or you could just pay attention to where you're going.  Theres already enough clutter around the floating UI.  wink

->You just lost The Game<-

3 (edited by Sundial 2011-07-20 21:52:29)

Neoxx wrote:

Meh.  If you know an island well enough you'll realize when theres something where it shouldnt be, or of theres more there than there should be.

Maybe we should just add an auto-distance feature so you are incapable of running within 1000m of an observer unless you uncheck a warning box that pops up every time an observer appears on radar!

.... or you could just pay attention to where you're going.  Theres already enough clutter around the floating UI.  wink

I suppose.

I lost a bot to an observer than was in a spawn of mechs, no one recognized it in our roam until I was demobbed, and a few seconds later blown to peices (only got within 650m or so of the spawn).

Is there a way to filter NPC's on the landmarks window by rank? So I could ignore things that were not dangerous? That would fix your "clutter" issue while still getting the job done.

I'm pretty sure I was with you on that roam.  I lol'd.

Yes, you can miss them if they are inside of a spawn, and tbh I think thats pretty damn cool.

This is just a good reason to familiarize yourself with an islands, and a way you can get the "home field advantage".  Know what spawns have what in them, and how many there are.  The names area already blaringly obvious on the landmarks list.

This just feels to me like an easy-mode solution for something that really doesnt need fixing.  We already have AI/NPC that are way too easy in nearly every case.  Making any changes that would make them easier does not have my vote.

Neoxx wrote:

I'm pretty sure I was with you on that roam.  I lol'd.

Yes, you can miss them if they are inside of a spawn, and tbh I think thats pretty damn cool.

This is just a good reason to familiarize yourself with an islands, and a way you can get the "home field advantage".  Know what spawns have what in them, and how many there are.  The names area already blaringly obvious on the landmarks list.

This just feels to me like an easy-mode solution for something that really doesnt need fixing.  We already have AI/NPC that are way too easy in nearly every case.  Making any changes that would make them easier does not have my vote.

Hmmm.. I suppose you are right. Since I am new the islands, it affects me alot more now than it will in the future.

Poor Waspish sad

6 (edited by AeonThePiglet 2011-07-21 22:35:09)

I gave standing orders to NEX that all NPCs need to be off their landmark window during pvp. Amazingly, we still don't lose people to NPCs on ops. Ok, we did on a couple early ops but come the *** on. This is something you should be able to deal with by avoiding rats. Who, for the most part, won't engage within 500m. And if despite our being terribad we can pull that off, even though mobs aren't displayed for us on our overview, well, you should be able to do it too.

He's not talking about normal NPCs, but observers.  Observers will engage at over 500m and will typically shoot for much over 500m as well.  Even going 70kph with a thermal resist on my tyrannos, the Seth observer still got be down to like 30% before I was out of his optimal range.  They do pack a punch, even at like 600-700m away.  Normal NPCs are stupid easy to avoid, even the ewars, but observers can get you if you're not paying attention, which I'm perfectly fine with.

We don't lose guys to observers either. I think of them as standard npcs that roam further.

Basically, it ain't hard to avoid them and if you're getting whacked by them and NEX ain't you are doing something very very wrong.

9 (edited by Sundial 2011-07-22 16:44:26)

AeonThePiglet wrote:

We don't lose guys to observers either. I think of them as standard npcs that roam further.

Basically, it ain't hard to avoid them and if you're getting whacked by them and NEX ain't you are doing something very very wrong.

The main times I die to them is when they are mixed in a mech spawn, with my luck its happened 2 times already this week.

Demob at 500ish, then comes the 1-2 shot.

I think you have just gotten lucky tbh.

Watch out for those observers guys.... tbh I would watch NPC's on your landmark closer than other players because they are far more deadly lol