Re: Sequer.nl - tools and info for Pepetuum

Artifact hunter needs some of the features of the (now lost) scan1app -

Selectable terrain occlusion dependent on mech size.
'Best Guess' fog - not a pinpoint location, but a 'haze' over the most likely areas a particular discovery may be pinpointed.

ZOOM in far, far more closely.  Right now, when I'm down to 500m, trying to figure out what terrain features I should be looking for is impossible due to the scan circle lines.

Thanks for the suggestions! There's a couple of issues though:

- terrain occlusion requires me to, I believe, include 4 maps per map (light, assault, mech, heavy); this is not feasible due to storage (a lot of tile images) and simply how much work it takes to create just a single map (you can also see that for most islands I didn't even separate the layers). Scan1app was created in a time where you could simply export the entire map with one command; the client will now crash due to sheer size of export. This means I need to take screenshots and stitch them together, stripping the UI and such, etc.

- same goes for zooming; it's not possible to simply 'blow up' tiles in Google Maps, so you need to go in and export tiles for every zoom level. That is just a bit too much on storage space (I wouldn't say I'm cheap, just on a budget). The scan circles can be turned off selectively, so it shouldn't be a 'real' issue.

- the 'best guess' option is a nice piece of code in Scap1app.. I wouldn't even have the foggiest (lol) to replicate that in the simple javascript app that's mine. I'd say, eyeball where the scan circles overlap, although, if you're serious about artifacting, you'd get the T4 geoscanner ASAP, which can be had for very little on TMA, for example.

Knowing a thing or two about cognitive psychology (some idiot decided it to be known by the name of UX design, or something), I know the tool does somewhat impose limits depending on how you use it. But, as opposed to using way more than 3 charges per artifact, I'd say 'deal with it' big_smile

Nah, but seriously, if you take a couple of scans on well chosen positions, the tool will just churn out solid coordinates. Or simple increase the radii by a few dozen meters, so they overlap properly, at which point the tool usually is dead accurate (always within 20-30 m). Also, in my experience, if you can artifact properly (without the tool), combining those skills with this tool, makes artifacting a bliss. IMO it's still one of the most amusing activities in the game.

Ahhh, I did not realize that so much had to be done to create that useful tool.  Ahh well, you get used to it.

I have noted that it's triangulation sometimes is off... not just a little off, but completely out of the ballpark off.   I make three scans 2.5km apart in a rough triangle around a target and it gives me a nice pinpoint.  But, even to my own eye I know it's dead wrong because the 'hit' is outside of one 'scan' entirely or deep in the center of all three where the convergence lines are elsewhere.
I'm not sure why that is, so I play it by eye and don't often bother with the 'X marks the spot' until I'm down to 500 meters and deleting the earlier scans as I narrow in.

A video recorder has a hole in the front into which neatly fits a piece of toast.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

A video recorder has a hole in the front into which neatly fits a piece of toast.

But, will it blend?

What I figured would be some nice additions:

- sharing fits is now possible, either by one of your verified agents or anonymously.
- while searching for shared fits (under fittings) you can comment on them, only with verified agents (no fee like on the killboard)
- for anyone logged in, it's possible to copy any shared fit under your own account, allowing you to try it out on your agents or change up modules.

Can you move intrusions to a quick link in the top right?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Can you move intrusions to a quick link in the top right?

That list is already nearly in violation in Miller's law, and I don't see that feature as being worthwhile enough to take front and center. I'd say for now bookmark it for easy access, in the meanwhile I'll look into if it might be worthwhile to make that list customizable.

Modules can now be activated/deactivated by clicking their icon (not all stats get updated properly, but accumulator usage is). Also, I added icons.

I've kicked against the industry tool this weekend. I've added/changed some stuff that was missing (including prototype bots), modified the formulas for the latest patch (material efficiency for factory), added some NIC cost indicators and added the option to include the corporation bonus from the knowledge base. You can now build prototypes, or tell the tool to include prototypes and items from the previous tiers (they're added as virtual items). It's now also possible to copy a fitting to the industry tool, so you can completely work out related costs. I've also improved the backend, so it should be a lot faster.

I'll add MPC buildings soon too.

Added gamma buildings (PBS) to the industry tool.

Register or login attempt: This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

lirahz wrote:

Register or login attempt: This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Try use http instead https