Re: The Dire state of PVE combat.

Arilou wrote:
Wraithbane wrote:

Things

Niche is the way to go in a saturated market. There is absolutely no shortage of PvE grindfest MMOs. There is a shortage of good PvP MMOs. Would you rather AC risk competing directly with the established WoW and friends? Or would you rather they fill some gaps in an untapped market?

Believe me... I've been in WoW since late beta. Coming up on 7 years now(six 85's). Blizzard and WoW have very little attraction for the major player base of EVE and Perpetuum... ^^  That being the case, their audience is pretty much the same as EVE's. Which CCP themselves admits is quite a bit more than half CareBear.  Given the niche status of the game, driving away those CareBears doesn't make good business sense.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

PvP in this game doesnt work without PvE backup. You cannot build youre mechs from PvP loot AFAIK, and most PvP nerds are not intrested in mining either AFAIK

HOLD on here...yes you can...its been done...it will continue to be done.

See my sig for more info.

Do you remember a game called Shadowbane?... Do you remember what happened to it? How about Darkfall (known to some as Darkfail). Or Mortal Online? All of these games BADLY niched themselves from the very start. Why? One of the major reasons was an almost obsessive focus on FFA PvP. There is a rather limited audience for that in the modern western markets.

The typical ganking and/or griefing that warms the hearts of the Goonies (and other such) is NOT tolerated very well at all in the vast majority of the modern western market. This has been demonstrated time after time, after time.

It was a factor in Aions (NCsoft) limited ability to retain players in the western markets. I liked the art style, but the lack of PvE servers kept me from playing it.  So even AAA titles from major companies like NCsoft are no exception.  FFA PvP (full loot or other wise) is simply a non starter in the modern western markets.  Especially if the Dev's (and their investors) want a good ROI.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

153 (edited by Sesshu 2011-09-21 05:17:27)

Snowman wrote:

The system is 'un-forgiving' because its designed from they get go to be a multi-player game.

Really, the only people who have a problem with PO are people that have a problem with playing with anyone but themselves.

squad up or GTFO

"squad up or GTFO"

Lol, are you serious?

Since this is a game with a server population of 500 at best, your attitude is self-defeating unless you like playing with yourself. Do you? PO isn't going to keep it's doors open because you and your 15 buddies demand it.

154 (edited by Sesshu 2011-09-21 06:12:48)

TokTok wrote:

The only real big learning curve is that the game has high levels mixed with low levels all over the island instead of say diffrent games where you would expect the mobs to get progressively harder away from hubs.

That's what makes potential customers delete the game instead of subbing, that and losing their 2nd "reward robot" in an early level 0/1 (whatever it's called) mission that sends you to your death (yes, lol, a little QQ from me).

I think the mistake this game is making, as Darkfall did, is that hardcore PvP is a very niche market, yet game developers expect hundreds of thousands of subscribers (and they expect to keep them). They won't get it. CCP was lucky that they survived and thrived. Sometimes, a company gets lucky.

Things have changed since the UO/EQ (and the later, somewhat odd and bizarre EVE) grind mindset. I'm not going to never wear/equip my "rare" drops because I don't want to lose them if I die in PvP. What's the point of getting it to begin with if you can never wear/equip it? There are plenty of PvP games out there, MMOs, FPS and such, where if you die you don't lose your gear. And the PvP is just as competitive. (If I sound like I'm attacking you, I'm not--your post just made me "remember" past PvP/PvE experiences, so I guess you can charge me for therapy wink

And almost all players want that. A few don't. That's okay. They have their niche game which will probably close its doors soon, and I have endless, mindless, poorly crafted "MMORPGs", if you still want to call them that, which will close their doors in a few years instead of a few months (and which I quit in 2 months since there's no content after that).

Arga wrote:
Xyberviri wrote:

Also in every game i played with pvp and pve, the carebear pvpers always end up ruining the game for the pvp players.

This statement really depends on the 'game' that your're playing, and by that I mean the style of play your engaging in. If your idea of PVP is jumping out from behind a tree, roboganking, and corpse sitting some dude out trying to complete a quest; then yes I agree, carebears are always trying to ruin that for you.

See, the issue here is the perception that Perpetuum is just a PVP-Fight game. Sure it could become that, in fact it almost went that way, as 60% of the carebear population left within a few months of launch. But that also made getting bots too much of a grind, so 60% of the PVP'ers also left after that.

Posture and bluster if you want, but the game needs both types of players to be great, so the devs have to balance the content releases accordingly; which means both sides have to wait longer to get anything too.

You could easily replace "PVE" in the title with "PVP".

Just as I make cases against PVE changes that I feel would make PVP worse, like Auto-targeting, not every PVE change does, just like I support PVP changes that make it better, even if it's not an improvement for PVE. Carebear or PVP you can't let yourself get so myopic that the trees block your view of the whole system.

DAoC was a fairly good PvE/PvP mix with the RvR. Games need both, as you say, to make significant money (and not just "chump change").

You can't have player generated economy in a game where you don't lose your items when you die.

There is a fundamental divide in the way some games handle character development. Some games divide the combat and non-combat skill trees, while others merge them.

This creates a certain type of environment in the games. For games with the trees seperated, your not required to choose between advancing combat or non-combat, which means all characters are capable of combat even if they choose to only do non-combat roles. The world is balanced around it, so non-combat skills like gathering can require you to directly fight for resources because you have the full combat set available to you. This also means that 100% of the population can particpate in PVP or PVE if they choose to, with no penalty for also improving non-combat skills. Typically those types of game label non-combat as "secondary skills" or "professions", but really the main focus of the game is the combat (PVE and/or PVP).

The other type of game, which I think of as the definition of a sandbox, doesn't seperate skills or professions so an improvement in one area requires sacrifice in the other. And typically it will always be better to specialize in a specific role in this type of game until a certain level when you can branch out to another specialization.

Because of the fundamental difference in play, it makes no sense at all to try to compare the two generes or even the specific game mechanics, since the games must be balanced differently at all levels.

Sesshu wrote:
TokTok wrote:

The only real big learning curve is that the game has high levels mixed with low levels all over the island instead of say diffrent games where you would expect the mobs to get progressively harder away from hubs.

That's what makes potential customers delete the game instead of subbing, that and losing their 2nd "reward robot" in an early level 0/1 (whatever it's called) mission that sends you to your death (yes, lol, a little QQ from me).

I think the mistake this game is making, as Darkfall did, is that hardcore PvP is a very niche market, yet game developers expect hundreds of thousands of subscribers (and they expect to keep them). They won't get it. CCP was lucky that they survived and thrived. Sometimes, a company gets lucky.

Things have changed since the UO/EQ (and the later, somewhat odd and bizarre EVE) grind mindset. I'm not going to never wear/equip my "rare" drops because I don't want to lose them if I die in PvP. What's the point of getting it to begin with if you can never wear/equip it? There are plenty of PvP games out there, MMOs, FPS and such, where if you die you don't lose your gear. And the PvP is just as competitive. (If I sound like I'm attacking you, I'm not--your post just made me "remember" past PvP/PvE experiences, so I guess you can charge me for therapy wink

And almost all players want that. A few don't. That's okay. They have their niche game which will probably close its doors soon, and I have endless, mindless, poorly crafted "MMORPGs", if you still want to call them that, which will close their doors in a few years instead of a few months (and which I quit in 2 months since there's no content after that).

You are skipping a few key points.

1. Rare equip in other games is never manufactured but needs player PvE grind to acquire. Since everything in PO can be manufactured, there is no rare equip.

2. PvP in cheap gear is definitely possible in PO as it is in EVE. Also the "character level" has little influence on your PvP effectivenes. This again is not true in most other games.

What PO is lacking compared to EVE is player created environments (player owned structures) and instant income NPCs. At the moment it is not efficient to ninja rat on beta if you don't make it back to the terminal to sell the loot. In EVE I made a nice income even if I did not make it back from zerosec to some viable market to sell the loot.

Full loot and mixed deifficulty spawns is a plus of PO actualy. It makes the player think and roam more.

158 (edited by Sundial 2011-09-22 17:25:22)

I couldn't get the same excitement in PvP or PvE if I didn't lose all my stuff when I died.

I remember playing Runescape in middle school back during the good old days of PKing in the wilderness, no game since then has really interested me due to not dropping all my stuff when I died (Ok, well I missed Darkfall and Mortal).

Also player driven economy would be fail without this.

DAoC was on the care bear end of PvP games, no offense. I would not play it for a real adrenaline rush like these type of games give me.

Also, what is not replaceable that you lose when you die? There are no legendary / relic type items in this game... its all made by players and sold on the open markets.

What may seem like alot of NIC to you now won't looking down the road a few months.

I think there is an old saying in EVE, just because you can pilot it does not mean you should. Don't take out what you can't afford to lose, plain and simple.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

159 (edited by Sundial 2011-09-22 19:59:01)

Wraithbane wrote:
0110011100001111001010001 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

PvP in this game doesnt work without PvE backup. You cannot build youre mechs from PvP loot AFAIK, and most PvP nerds are not intrested in mining either AFAIK

HOLD on here...yes you can...its been done...it will continue to be done.

See my sig for more info.

Do you remember a game called Shadowbane?... Do you remember what happened to it? How about Darkfall (known to some as Darkfail). Or Mortal Online? All of these games BADLY niched themselves from the very start. Why? One of the major reasons was an almost obsessive focus on FFA PvP. There is a rather limited audience for that in the modern western markets.

The typical ganking and/or griefing that warms the hearts of the Goonies (and other such) is NOT tolerated very well at all in the vast majority of the modern western market. This has been demonstrated time after time, after time.

It was a factor in Aions (NCsoft) limited ability to retain players in the western markets. I liked the art style, but the lack of PvE servers kept me from playing it.  So even AAA titles from major companies like NCsoft are no exception.  FFA PvP (full loot or other wise) is simply a non starter in the modern western markets.  Especially if the Dev's (and their investors) want a good ROI.

AAA != instant success. Aion had tons of problems, and NCSoft failed at every turn.

I might add if they did change this from a FFA style PvP game and took away the death penalty, near 100% of the population would simply quit.

Stop trying to make every single game like all the others.

We play this game because it is something different than the standard for most MMOs out nowdays.

I don't want another WoW, AION, Warhammer, Rift, WoW, DAoC or any other western carebear style game. I want a sandbox game.

If you want a game with a PvE server where you can carebear it up, there are PLENTY for you.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

I take it most EP was spent to just sit in the mech for the sake of omg I'm in a mech. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The most important skills for new players are the support skills. Having better support skills means more survivability and damage through better accuracy or more HP, faster movement speed etc.

As people said before me, if you kept losing the mech all the time and were unable to kill stuff with it then you skilled up wrong.