Topic: RP Channel: Relay M54

I saw a need for a channel for in-character interaction here in Perpetuum, so I took the initiative and created one.  The channel is called "Relay M54" (after the M54 globular cluster, where Nia is located).  Conceptually, this is a quantum text communication channel, or Quantum Relay Chat, provided by the Syndicate for Perpetuum Project participants.  It operates by sending bits of data via 'entangled' particles, a nuance of Quantum Mechanics that allows particles to share information with each other instantaneously, regardless of the distance between them.  As a result, entangled networks become a perfect engine for communication tools.

Right now it's only me and a couple of corpies, but feel free to pop in and RP a bit with us.

Re: RP Channel: Relay M54

Not sure what all your "Quantum Mechanics that allows particles to share information with each other instantaneously" have to do with chat since it is humans controlling the bots across space but coolio.. good deal.

(particles sharing information??)

Toku wrote:

(particles sharing information??)

Yeh that's quantum entanglement, or as Einstein referred to it, "Spooky action at a distance."  It's basically how a particle light years away from an entangled partner can recieve stimuli simultaneously.

In other words, instead of a signal reaching a bot through a wormhole in 20,000 years, and the signal coming back 20,000 years after that, it happens instantly.  (or at least in 50-200ms tongue)

It's .. quantum.  And stuff.

I suspect any confusion is likely being caused by lore being fuzzy at the moment.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

The trouble is that the particles need to be together to get entangled, you can't entangle at a distance.

This sounds sexual...is it??

Either way best of luck to the RPers out there. To make it super hardcore you should communicate in binary only big_smile

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Arga wrote:

The trouble is that the particles need to be together to get entangled, you can't entangle at a distance.

Poo upon you, this is a game about humans controlling robots 80,000 light-years away in real-time, you can suspend your disbelief for a communication network powered by entangled particles. big_smile

Besides, the entanglement is just the excuse for the "Quantum Relay Chat" moniker.

Predator Nova wrote:

This sounds sexual...is it??

Either way best of luck to the RPers out there. To make it super hardcore you should communicate in binary only big_smile

Sexual?  No.  At least not in the public channel.  I'm sure that sort of thing may happen eventually but that's what private comms are for tongue

It's just a venue for in-character interaction.

Arga wrote:

Also they become untangled if you take them too far apart... at least with current science.

Marina Fallon wrote:

Poo upon you, this is a game about humans controlling robots 80,000 light-years away in real-time, you can suspend your disbelief for a communication network powered by entangled particles. big_smile

I'm just saying we'll need entagle the particles, then travel back in time, launch a sublight rocket containing the particles to Nia, where they'll arrive just as the invasion is starting, so they can be used to generate quantum communications. Easy-peasy.

10 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-12 19:12:25)

Arga wrote:
Marina Fallon wrote:

I'm just saying we'll need entagle the particles, then travel back in time, launch a sublight rocket containing the particles to Nia, where they'll arrive just as the invasion is starting, so they can be used to generate quantum communications. Easy-peasy.

Unless the Syndicate just invaded an existing communications relay from the native robot residents, ya?

edit: or really, wouldnt there already be entanglement between the sparks on nia, and the implants in the agents?

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

I'm trying to figure out how would you role play in this. some of us may be in the same control room. so far, I see it as people in their homes on their computers controlling robot. The lore is kinda unclear how we are controlling our robots.

12 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-12 21:40:04)

Well I suppose it depends on perspective of what information is there. hmm It does require a bit of mental extrapolation. 

If I think of supercorporations controlling things as a pseudo-government, and with neurointegration being rediculously costly and skill intensive for the agent, its not necessarily the sort of thing they'd a) toss around willy nilly or b) necessarily let people 'telecommute' to (ie. sitting at home on the 'internets' piloting a bot with minimal supervision.)  I imagine brainwashing, closed communities, intrigue, etc. 

(http://www.perpetuum-online.com/The_Project)

Eyeballing it it is likely agents are: on earth uplinking to a space station or are within said space station, experiencing stimuli in a virtual environment in one way or another being transmitted from Nia.  This could be as indepth as jacking into a complicated matrix-like scenario to something more 'lightweight' like simply wearing a visual apparatus and controlling the bot through neural impulse.  (The neural part is a given, or 'neurointegration' wouldn't be necessary.)

If they're in the station, then some agents apparently are released from the program without a removal of the neurointegration chip, are sent home, and then are able to uplink some other way from earthside ("The Syndicate denies the information that the Earth-Nia connection can be cracked and some Agents are connecting to the Perpetuum Project this way to avoid local authorities and to gain independence from the Syndicate.").  That mention makes it seem more likely that Agents are likely housed in closed communities planetside, data is uplinked and then transmitted through the station through the wormhole down to Nia, etc., and that some agents are able to link into the Syndicate network 'illegally - likely even while still doing their 'legal' work, for their own ends.  (Alts, lol.)

----

Well, technically the worm hole is open still. So there's no need to use quantum communication, if matter can be sent through, then so can energy (E=MC^2) and hence spectrum based comms, laser or even radio, should suffice. I just like having excuses to time travel.

This said, unless the syndicate is somehow able to sheild the entire wormhole, it would also be possible to bean said neuro-control in a new beam, or even to hide a subcarrier in an existing photonic source (like the sun's rays).

<.<
>.>

*poof*

14 (edited by Winter Solstice 2011-07-12 22:08:49)

Well either way the Syndicate itself is going to just be a conglomerate of people.  All it takes is a couple of SPAIS!!! wink  in the programming / R&D dept to bypass any 'shielding' of a tech nature wink

----

Winter Solstice wrote:

Well I suppose it depends on perspective of what information is there. hmm It does require a bit of mental extrapolation. 

[Stuff]

(http://www.perpetuum-online.com/The_Project)

ok I understand it better now. thanks.