1 (edited by Khadia Khan 2011-07-06 14:01:01)

Topic: Missions and the good idea fairy

If you have a good idea to post up on how to make the missions funner/more productive/any thing lets do it and let the devs hear our ideas instead of just qq'in about how you can make more doing x-port missions.
Warning the devs can rip the wings outta your good idea fairy anytime they choose.

I want Daily Missions..... Have a set of random missions that must be completed with in 24 hours to reward a large sum of nic and a choice of ammo/raw material at end (Energy stuff thats planed to come to the game?)...
Lore:  The Conglomrates would post up a list of daily needs to be done... and we do them

• All outposts/terminals will have there own set of random daily missions

• Have each mission provides a normal reward for completion

• If you accept your first mission at a terminal all other conglomerates (daily randoms) must be blocked to you for that day

• If you fail to complete the group of missions before the 24 hour period you fail the group and receive no bonus

• Missions maybe strung between island and profession ie. Move this package 12U from TMA to ICSA and accept the next mission there, Next mission has you mine 5U of titan on attalica, Next mission has you kill x amount of x spawn and take data consoles back to TMA

• Make them random dont make 7 sets and just let them run for a week make 30 sets and have them select a few extra random missions from a pool

• Missions may make you go to any island (including BETA) for any reason(farming/mining/transport/indy survey) if you do not complete this part of the mission(abort) your reward will be substancially lowered

• Have the abality to abort or select an alternative Beta mission for a penalty, Large penalty to abort, small if you change the mission but keep the beta danger.

Thats my idea we can discuss this more or post up your good idea lets help the Devs understand what we want from PVE.
My mission attention span is very short to begin with but if you give me a goal to reach I will do them easily. I don't feel this will ruin the game in any way or negativly impact the sandbox.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Re: Missions and the good idea fairy

+1 for most of the ideas.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

As mentioned in another post, add Manufactoring based assignments -RE/CT, Prototyping, and maybe some refining missions - Just to make them a little painful, the missions would all be out of the main terminals but would be required to be completed at a Lvl-II facility (or maybe lvl-III for 5 and 6th level assignments).

I like the idea of one involved mission chain per day rather than grinding a buttload of stupid short ones over and over. So you'd pick a military, indy, or courier mission type, you'd go along the chain for the day and you'd get a fat reward. And that'd be it; no more missions for the day, you're done!

If the amount you get for the daily mission ain't enough for you, well, go out and rat, mine, build, fight, piwat, whatever and make your money doing stuff that requires interaction with other players, thereby generating content.

Add say seven of each to start with, and a few more of each every now and again to keep things fresh. And make it so the daily mission is random for everyone from the list of potential stuff, with a guarantee that you won't get a mission you've gotten in the last three days.

I figure with a combat one you'd go from scanning bots to hitting a fort, or from patrols to defending a location with NPC helpers, or even rescuing some important hauler thing. For indy stuff, scanning mining and building all make sense. The courier ones would be a bit of a pain, but I could see races and such being involved here (with the speed of the enemy racebot scaled to your navigation level so that it's not a godawful nightmare, and a few ways to "cheat" to win).

+1 for daily mission chains but -1 for everything else

My idea:
1. You select which types of missions you want: indy or combat. Both will contain transport but indy will have significantly larger load to haul (ie. to fill a Sequer halfway so you can still carry a mining bot with you for next mission)
2. Select mission difficulty: easy (alpha-only, period, for combat light bot opponents only and easy timers on indy stuff), medium - safe (alpha only, light/assault opponents for combat, manageable timers for indy stuff), medium - dangerous (alpha + beta, 50% of each, same as medium otherwise), hard - safe (alpha only, mechs/heavy mech opponents for combat, challenging timers for level-5 skills industrial), hard - dangerous (75% beta, 25% alpha, otherwise same as safe).
3. Payout depends on how many missions from the chain you have completed and difficulty
4. Each individual mission provides ammo/charges for itself (might be tricky with ammo since there's a choice of 4 different types, might need a selector in there) designed to get through it with skills according to difficulty (easy gives you ammo for completing mission assuming base skills, medium assumes level 3-4 relevant skills, hard assumes level 5-6+ skills)

Result:
- No crying "this game forces me to PvP!" - just pick safe mission and earn less. Income vs safety
- Randomly generated missions are more fun - constant grinding of same thing over and over again is... ugh... soul-crushingly boring
- Better income that actually depends on your skills and time waste... I mean invested

Raavi "The Unforgiven" Arda

Missions where you're looking for a specific drop (like a special mission datafile). Kill bots until you find that one drop. (The game would need to determine if the bot has the drop after you or your group has tagged it).

Simply having more missions available at all levels would help.

I love the idea of terminal-specific dailies.

What if, for example, when you do a recon mission, sometimes the mission-giver contacts you over the comm and tells you the data you relayed back indicated that one of the bots you scanned had something very dangerous/valuable and tells you to destroy the bot? (Like in my first suggestion, though, it just picks one randomly after you've tagged it). And maybe instead of dropping the mission item back at the terminal you got it from, they want it taken to another terminal. Sort of mini chains that can trigger but don't necessarily. With better rewards if the mission chain goes on longer, too.

More lore/backstory integrated into the missions would help. Datafiles you could actually read (even cooler, what if you had to decrypt some of them)? You could probably get the players to help write them. Some people would ignore these, but some like myself would love to find tidbits of data (business emails, personal emails, espionage reports, even spam).

And this is only peripherally related, but when someone accepts an assignment for the squad, every member of the squad should be able to get the datafiles from the bots, not just the person who accepted the mission. We found I couldn't loot the bots and drop the datafiles in a field canister for the squad leader to pick up and turn in.