Topic: Keying/Clicking Not Responding

This may belong in the bug section, but I didn't see this problem listed anywhere in the forums, so I'm posting it here.

Keying and/or clicking simply does not actuate the commands with any consistency.  It requires that I spam 1 to 4 key strokes/mouse clicks to actuate the command.  This creates multiple mechanical problems for game play:
1) the time it takes to spam keys is time I'm not issuing commands - and it adds up fast against PvE targets, and makes PvP not possible.
2) Spamming keys/clicks forces me to focus on the action bar icons for visual feedback to make sure commands actuated, taking focus away from the theater of operations (I can key without looking at the keyboard).
3) It's frustrating to issue commands and not have them work - it feels like drones in EvE, in which "commands" are treated more as suggestions".

The one exception I see is the <tab> key (scroll through targets) - it works consistently with a single keystroke or a mouse click.  Since the tab key always works consistently, I don't really think this is a problem on my end, rather game mechanics.  Nor is it a cooldown issue - all my cooldowns are ready to go.

Any ideas?  This is a show stopper for me.  I'm not really going to continue playing a game that requires key spamming to actuate commands that should only require a single precise keystroke.  This problem renders any personal keyboard skills useless.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: Keying/Clicking Not Responding

This happens to me all the time.

3 (edited by Th0rG0d 2011-07-04 08:42:31)

I get this continually as well. It happens in targeting, activating modules, and also in hotkeys. WASD always works, but double clicking to move does not, it usually takes a quick succession of mouse clicks.

I wouldn't call it game breaking, but very irritating. Realizing that only 3 of 4 weapons are taking down enemy bots when time is critical makes me a tad peeved. mad

:edit: I've been able to isolate this to clicking while I am holding down any of the WASD keys for movement. It also interferes with buttons in the UI, such as Enter and Teleport.

yes, this belongs in bugs, and is almost certainly related to the way the game causes the screen to refresh which is known to break a bunch of other things too (it happens when you click/press a button at the instant it's doing it) aka there is nothing you can do about it.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

how many chat channels do you have open when it happens?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

6 (edited by Alexander 2011-07-04 12:56:29)

I am guessing because most people use WASD with either space or the number keys they won't experience this so much however I attempt to create it by holding W and A and hitting the enter button and it worked every time. Perhaps it's a hardware conflict with the game in some way?

Could it have anything to do with lag I wonder.

i thought it was related to lag, you click the button and it takes a while to respond, you repeatedly spam the button causes it to stop repsonding altogether. i found it far worse last night and it coincided with a lot of lag / rubber banding At ICS alpha so much so i logged off in the end

Crepitus wrote:

yes, this belongs in bugs, and is almost certainly related to the way the game causes the screen to refresh which is known to break a bunch of other things too (it happens when you click/press a button at the instant it's doing it) aka there is nothing you can do about it.

I only have corp and help channels open, but minimized. My ping hovers ~200, and I experience this always.

Crepitus wrote:

I have corp, general, and help.  I'm not sure why having chat chaneels would make keying flaky.  In fact, when I've severe server lag/overload, the chat channels are the last to be degraded due to minimal resources to support those text based functions.

And I thought about the situation of lag--> spam--> turns off button, so I experimented by simply hitting the button and waiting and/or spamming but with larger and larger delays between key strokes.  Bottom line, the problem is not spamming, it's the other way: spamming is necessary to invoke the keyed action.

I think I may have found the issue finally and it is indeed troubling.
When pressing any keyboard button and attempting to click buttons on the UI the buttons become dehighlighted when the key is held down and doesn't register the mouse position over the button until the mouse moves so it can be a fight between keyboard and mouse.

Recreate: Select a tile and move around it constantly. While doing so click the lock button and continue to click it to see how many times you can lock and unlock the tile. Now do the same but use the F and U keys. Using keyboard only or mouse only commands is much faster. Using a mixture doesn't work.

I would love it if the problem seemed to be some bizarre sequence of keystrokes and mouse clicks between 0200 and 0400 on every other Tuesday if the moon is full, but I think it's much simpler than that.  Keying and mousing are not mechanically solid. I've played with issue extensively and key strokes and mouse clicks are simply not logged and acted upon - there is no weird set of circumstances that leads to key confusion.  It is infinitely repeatable with no special setup specifications, no weird hardware or graphics anomalies, and I type with all my fingers intact compared to one of those voice converters.

What strikes me as the most important customer focused issue is that two of the most generic and fundamental game functions, namely keying and mousing, don't work smoothly and cause customer frustration with the product.  Again, a customer focused point of view, is that this problem removes a certain amount of fun and replaces it with frustration.  This issue and the client crashes are adding up to a customer experience that makes me motivated to check out other venues for fun and entertainment.

I hope this problem gets some attention for the global issues I and others have mentioned, despite any personal complaints I may have.