Re: Perpetuum Online on the wiki

Well besides spending time duplicating information?  The FOOM wiki is available for edit by any member of Perpetuum.  We encourage people to signup and help contribute.

The more information out there, the merrier. Even if its duplicated, who cares...

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

The FOOM is blind or what?

We don't want to compete with your wiki.

We want a neutral place for people to see and the more links the higher is the worth of the game's website in google tongue

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Obviously it makes sense to have a comprehensive article on Wikipedia. Besides, Wikipedia and the FOOM wiki play in different leagues. Calling it wiki is where the comparison stops really.

30 (edited by Friedrich Psitalon 2011-07-21 19:42:24)

Well gee, Syndic, pardon us if we think that CIR's reasons for wanting to get another Wiki running might just be motivated by something than the higher ideal you claim to have and are often mocked for your failure to uphold. Gasp.

The wiki is neutral. Your determination to ignore that is not our problem. Your inability to get Wikipedia to accept you is also not our problem. If you also lack the sufficient numbers of motivated people to start your own wiki and make it thrive, this, thirdly, continues to not be our problem.  One wonders why, in the last seven months of your sizable corporation, you never had an interest in this venture before, or why you chose to do so now. Hmmm... roll

Create what you want, duplicate what you want, do what you want. We think having multiple wikis instead of one collaborative effort when there's been no demonstrated problem with the original is shortsighted and self-serving (it's not hard to create a backup, after all), but then again, we think a lot of what CIR does in and out of game falls excellently under that label, so why should this be any different?

Our wiki is intended to be a resource for people who play the game, not an advertisement on Wikipedia. That's the bottom line and the only thing we care about, and that's where our interest ends. If you take the material and try to do something else with it, have at it. Either way, not our problem. Have a day.

Friedrich Psitalon wrote:

Well gee, Syndic, pardon us if we think that CIR's reasons for wanting to get another Wiki running might just be motivated by something than the higher ideal you claim to have and are often mocked for your failure to uphold. Gasp.?

You can move that particular discussion to where it belongs:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/foru … dialogues/

Whatever you perception may be of an in-game corporation or a few of it's more prominent members, it should have nothing to do with hard-working individuals working on community projects. That same bias could drive people away from the FOOM wiki because of potentially short-sighted comments such as those of yourself.

32 (edited by Syndic 2011-07-21 21:45:45)

Friedrich Psitalon wrote:

Well gee, Syndic, pardon us if we think that CIR's reasons for wanting to get another Wiki running might just be motivated by something than the higher ideal you claim to have and are often mocked for your failure to uphold. Gasp.

The wiki is neutral. Your determination to ignore that is not our problem. Your inability to get Wikipedia to accept you is also not our problem. If you also lack the sufficient numbers of motivated people to start your own wiki and make it thrive, this, thirdly, continues to not be our problem.  One wonders why, in the last seven months of your sizable corporation, you never had an interest in this venture before, or why you chose to do so now. Hmmm... roll

Create what you want, duplicate what you want, do what you want. We think having multiple wikis instead of one collaborative effort when there's been no demonstrated problem with the original is shortsighted and self-serving (it's not hard to create a backup, after all), but then again, we think a lot of what CIR does in and out of game falls excellently under that label, so why should this be any different?

Our wiki is intended to be a resource for people who play the game, not an advertisement on Wikipedia. That's the bottom line and the only thing we care about, and that's where our interest ends. If you take the material and try to do something else with it, have at it. Either way, not our problem. Have a day.

What caused this load of butthurt to be unloaded here? Whats the big deal about more wiki's being open out there, Im not sure I get your point?

You seriously need some therapy dude. ^^

EDIT:

P.S.

Its not a CIR wiki, we have no interest in managing a wiki site as we have better things to do with our free time. What our members choose to do with their free time is their choice and doesn't represent the corp.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

33 (edited by Norrdec 2011-07-21 22:03:06)

Since day one I am talking about this wiki post as an advert and not a full fledged thingy to help people.  Srsly wtf is with you? Only thing I want for people to have a short article to describe the game.

Sorry, but butthurt much?

I've added a Perpetuum page to Wikipedia. If someone like to get in there and clean it up a little, add some citations, much appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetuum

Awesome job Doek smile Kudos!

Nuked again. Surely there are enough 3rd party references to the game to warrant inclusion?

Seems more than a little bias on their moderator's part, maybe due to previous attempts. I was given a warning of 'G11. Unambiguous advertising or promotion', while I pretty much copied the EVE Online article and mostly changed details (okay, it took me a while, especially with the game's background story). Still, I'm sure it was neutral, unbiased and fairly informative. Oh well, their loss I guess. If they nuke a few hours of my time that easily, I'm not willing to risk investing more.

38 (edited by Doek 2011-07-30 13:00:40)

In the meanwhile, I've asked one of their admins to userfy the page, but it needs more citations. I'd also like to add a public reception page (the game needs to be 'notable'), so that means insurance fraud, duplication exploits, and the EVE exodus, but from a neutral point of view. If someone like to help me out and pull some sources and put some facts down, thanks a lot.

edit: Here's the draft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Doek/Perpetuum

Doek wrote:

In the meanwhile, I've asked one of their admins to userfy the page, but it needs more citations. I'd also like to add a public reception page (the game needs to be 'notable'), so that means insurance fraud, duplication exploits, and the EVE exodus, but from a neutral point of view. If someone like to help me out and pull some sources and put some facts down, thanks a lot.

edit: Here's the draft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Doek/Perpetuum

I like what you did there so I kind of got involved.

tl;dr -- I contacted a member of the video games review team and asked them to take a look at it.

I put a note on the discussion page with some more details.  Hopefully I'll hear back from him within the next couple of days.

Again, nicely done (and yes, there is a stub already on wikipedia - the FRENCH wikipedia version).

Sweet, that's the advice I got from one of their admins too. The French stub also means some of the criteria (e.g. notability) are covered, whether it's more or less self-fulfilling shouldn't be much of an issue.

I added a few more references and a couple of links to other wiki articles.  This page is more complete, better done and has more cited links then a lot of the other game wiki pages.
This article will help get the word out on Perpetuum, so it is a good thing for all corps and players.
Good job on this

42 (edited by Norrdec 2011-08-05 09:18:10)

I want to add screenshots to mobygames.com from the perpetuum website.

Screenshots must not be taken or plagarised from other websites. This includes developer and publisher websites -- they may want to promote the game, but that doesn't give us the right to take their website images without permission.

Where should I look for such permission if possible?

Also, Perpetuum is added on MobyGames, the people reviewing games there are very helpful smile Took a bit tho big_smile

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/perpetuum Tell me if you want any changes, or just login and do it yourself smile

43 (edited by Norrdec 2011-08-29 15:58:07)

I just got a new mail/message on the wikisite.

discussion is taking place as to whether the article Perpetuum is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or whether it should be deleted.

The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Perpetuum until a consensus is reached, and anyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on good quality evidence, and our policies and guidelines.

Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion template from the top of the article. MikeWazowski (talk) 14:30, 29 August 2011 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: … #Perpetuum

Right, notability. In other words, how does one fail at using Google?

He didn't fail, google did. The news tab is kinda broken.

Looking at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: … /Perpetuum
I get the impression that reviews from magazines aren't enough to establish notability. What might be needed are articles that focus on Perp in a discussion of a more general topic, like game design ("Perpetuum is a perfect example of _____ design principle") or game development in countries not famous for their game production ("Perpetuum illustrates just how well the emerging Eastern European tech sector is blah blah blah...")

Stuff like externally verified subscription numbers would probably help, too.

Arilou wrote:

Looking at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: … /Perpetuum
I get the impression that reviews from magazines aren't enough to establish notability. What might be needed are articles that focus on Perp in a discussion of a more general topic, like game design ("Perpetuum is a perfect example of _____ design principle") or game development in countries not famous for their game production ("Perpetuum illustrates just how well the emerging Eastern European tech sector is blah blah blah...")

Stuff like externally verified subscription numbers would probably help, too.

Well, their own GNG (general notability guidelines) state it's not about specifics, just having 'plenty' of 'reliable' sources on the subject (preferably secondary). Although it seems the discussion is going the way of keeping the article, this will also secure the article from spontaneous deletion.

If you look at the amount of cited references of this article compared to other game articles, its obvious, this article is superior.  Lets just continue to add more content and cite more independent sources (vs more perp links)
Good work on this. 
This is a way to get the word out on perp.  I have linked a few other wiki pages to this article for folks searching on a new MMORPG.

Can't really comment on the game politics between the different corporations, nor on Wiki guidelines, but I will say as a almost 3 month player the Foom wiki has been invaluable, as their recruitment channel, where I got a ton of help without actually being ..  Recruited. I'm all for any literature on the game, so this effort is great imo, just thought I would share my Foom experience. I don't know if there is a better resource for new players.

Sigh, The wiki.org wiki is not a new player resource allthingie place.
Why is everyone thinking the opposite? o.O FOOM doing a great job, but not in promoting the game in a mainstream, neutral medium. It's a hassle to create the wiki.org wiki, but that's needed- without it wiki would be full of trash.