1 (edited by Norrdec 2011-06-30 09:34:27)

Topic: Perpetuum Online on the wiki

I can't really do much atm because I am at work, but I made this placeholder for Perpetuum.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … /Perpetuum

Let's make it grow, shall we? wink

/edit
Added the link to the draft. We will make it an article when it's mature enough.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Re: Perpetuum Online on the wiki

is this where my wikiwhat? thread went?

/warmfuzzies

/witty sig

Don't mean to be a nitpick, but the name of the game is Perpetuum, not Perpetuum Online.

Indeed it did wink About time, there was one article like in January, but was deleted.

5 (edited by Norrdec 2011-06-27 15:47:13)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetuum is this better?
Sorry  about that, I was hasty wink

well looks like some one on wikki does not think this game warrants an article it just got deleted.

7 (edited by Kronic 2011-06-27 16:44:38)

Indeed. I believe it was more to do with the fact the previous iteration of the article not having any references or links to show notability.

I've started a new draft here, but don't instantly have the time to flesh out the body text; if anyone would be able to help it'd be greatly appreciated, and I'll clean up and add myself as time permits: with a better article and such, it should easily pass the conditions for inclusion.

EDIT: Should probably point out I've never edited Wikipedia, so I've likely not done it well. tongue

Yea I think the claimed problem notability though the user that came down hard on it seems to be some what trolling probably unintentional. Not supposed to delete an article before the author has reasonable time to justify it. With such issue if it was filled with gibberish I might not be so hard on the person but it was a pretty dumb delete do to how fast it happened. roll

Checking the deletion logs, it was deleted as an "Article about an eligible subject, which does not indicate the importance or significance of the subject" so it would appear we need to include content to show notability, such as my RPS/Massively links, any other coverage people can find by recognised sources would be good, plus body text.

Atlas wrote:

Yea I think the claimed problem notability though the user that came down hard on it seems to be some what trolling probably unintentional. Not supposed to delete an article before the author has reasonable time to justify it. With such issue if it was filled with gibberish I might not be so hard on the person but it was a pretty dumb delete do to how fast it happened. roll

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of Wiki... Filled with shadow politics, back stabbing, power trips and all of the rest of the political dynamics that such a system encourages.  There have been quite a number of articles about what goes on behind the scenes. Its not pretty. ^^  The best thing I can suggest is to get links to game sites like MMORPG, Massively, Ten Ton Hammer and other such. But if one of their internal editors has taken a dislike to the game, good luck keeping anything you post from being deleted.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

umm, hate to point this out but there is already an established wiki. http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/
its being actively improved by a small team, but it IS an open wiki. There is a section for all corps to put in their information as well.

Trayk wrote:

umm, hate to point this out but there is already an established wiki. http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/
its being actively improved by a small team, but it IS an open wiki. There is a section for all corps to put in their information as well.

Is it really 'open' if it is administered by an involved party?

I appreciate what you guys have done and continue to do -- but at the same time, having useful information published in a place that can't be as easily censored is a better solution IMO.

13 (edited by Friedrich Psitalon 2011-06-27 19:45:24)

You find any censorship there, you let me know. The wiki is open to anyone to edit, and the logs would clearly show if someone started screwing around with it, and the logs are also open to view.

More knowledge base is good, though, so I don't mind seeing another one spring up. Anyone who plays Perp is an involved party, btw - and if you think Wikipedia doesn't have censorship and manipulation, I have an oil derrick in New York City for you. wink

Ninja edit: FWIW, we deliberately included a section for corps to describe themselves as a way to hopefully encourage others to get in there and edit. We really wouldn't mind other hands in the mix. There's a lot of game here for one corp to document, and we surely don't know all of it.

Friedrich Psitalon wrote:

Ninja edit: FWIW, we deliberately included a section for corps to describe themselves as a way to hopefully encourage others to get in there and edit. We really wouldn't mind other hands in the mix. There's a lot of game here for one corp to document, and we surely don't know all of it.

IF you have a corp and are unsure how to edit the wiki feel free to contact me. I will work with you to get your information posted. You can even if necessary send me text documents and I will add them to the wiki myself for you. We ran a huge wiki for Fallen Earth(http://www.suspicious-cheese.com/wiki/i … =Main_Page) and it was one of the best out there. So much so that even now almost 8 months after we left it is STILL the leading wiki site for the game. We believe in community. Helping the community with knowledge helps it to grow strong. We aren't here to "win" we are here to have fun, and a strong and growing community will enhance that. Hording information and tools that could help others is detrimental to that goal.

it's not about politics, it's about having a good source for other people to see the game. I will try to help with Kronics draft and I would really like everyone to help it.

Trayk if anything, the game needs more places to be seen. Having a wiki.org article gives some weight to everything smile

Did some work on the draft here https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … /Perpetuum . So many people, not enough work! Come on! big_smile

i would contribute, but my wiki fu is weak. and yeah, the idea is not as much spreading detailed knowledge, but more about advertising.

/witty sig

Feel free to contribute, if anything you can go back to the last know version of the draft.

Edited the first post with the draft location. You can write it while you mine guys! wink

The french wikipédia : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetuum

Equipe Perpetuum

I updated the draft with the image and some info from the infobox.

I had more than what there is on the french wiki and it was deleted pretty fast tongue

The trick on keeping a Wikipedia article (speaking as someone who is at about 7000 edits now) is to put as many journalistic references in it, news coverage, big numbers, reviews, stuff like that. Ironically, the final article will end up being less a description of what it is and more what people say about it.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Bump for great justice!

I can give you a quick rundown on what you would need the article to look like to be plausible against a speedy deletion, but I think if I'd edit it, that'd turn it to a quick vanity debate.

In the meantime, you could also try adding it to http://www.mobygames.com.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Trayk wrote:

IF you have a corp and are unsure how to edit the wiki feel free to contact me. I will work with you to get your information posted. You can even if necessary send me text documents and I will add them to the wiki myself for you. We ran a huge wiki for Fallen Earth(http://www.suspicious-cheese.com/wiki/i … =Main_Page) and it was one of the best out there. So much so that even now almost 8 months after we left it is STILL the leading wiki site for the game. We believe in community. Helping the community with knowledge helps it to grow strong. We aren't here to "win" we are here to have fun, and a strong and growing community will enhance that. Hording information and tools that could help others is detrimental to that goal.

Actually when i was running Exile we decided to highjack most of the SC wiki content to create the exilegamers wiki for FE incase you guys decided to make it go poof like the TAO wiki. did.

also for the OP i think you shouldn't be making place holders on wikipedia until you have the article fleshed out in the basic form at least.

Is there any reason, besides vanity, that there should be only 1 wiki? Surely the more information out there the better for the game. Viral marketing & all.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice