Topic: Growing pains of an infant game

This post is dedicated to all those who have posted up that something needs to be changed with anything up to and including; My Bot, Enemy's Bot, Alpha, Beta, Mods or Last patch.

First we will start with my favorite quote that has been posted http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/top … extension/

Alexander wrote:

Stop trying to bend the game to your will and start changing your game play to suit the current modules. smile

This game for all interested parties is still quite young if we view it in terms of time since release or in terms of stable online #s. As a previous stEVE pilot, guild wars, and wow player I can tell you that none of the MMOs I've played were perfectly balanced. How many people walked from these games that are seeming to reach true "end game" walk before the last expansion or big patch. I know I did the only MMO I play now is PO.

This game is still growing if it becomes a 1/4 of the size stEVE or other sandbox mmos are we are likely to see the game come in to balance. There is literally a post in every corner of this forum pleading with the devs about why the game is imba or someone/thing is wtf pwn op. Why is this that we have these threads? Have we all suffered a lemmings curse that we blindly follow the next straight in to the darkness? Multiple posts of assaults imba now, really has any one but the few that have posted up tried a detector, Mech squad with weapon stabs? Next someone with post up something is imba op and the rest of the masses will blindly follow. Passive sheild tank drake ring a bell, yeah its op but it is really imba no its not its been around for years now.

In the Past 3 weeks now I realize there are about 3 people that I truly believe can post up something about balancing with out a personal twist/ reason or other motives. They are Alexander from M2S, Annihilator from BKK, and I hate to say it but Arga from PIE. (don't let that one go to your head Arga) When these people post up on a balancing issue thread they 99% of the time they have the games true balance in thought. I can not even claim to have posted unbiased posts on threads.

The devs and GMs are like the Parents and we are the children in their house. Yeah some people got away with some things and they got smacked. Now your brothers and sisters are killing your favorite toy with theirs,(don't cry to mom and dad) get a new toy or kill theirs/ steal the idea and build your own toy to counter. Some of us are failing to see the big picture that this game is still a lot of fun even if your bots not the lemmings FOTM. Its a sandbox build a sandcastle or go to your corner and play in the water. 

An old saying sticks with me in life, If you do something that does not make you happy at least 85% of the time why are you even doing it? This game has its down falls but from the time I log in to the time I log out I can say I was having fun. Regardless of how they balance this game I will continue to adapt and play. 

TL;DR
Stop crying to the devs about IMBA and play the game your not a dev or a gm you have no true rite to claim a fix for imba(you can merely suggest) . And FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

2 (edited by Annihilator 2011-06-25 10:05:18)

Re: Growing pains of an infant game

thank you for the honor.
I must say, im not fully unresponsible for the current assault imbalance -

i was asking for more speed of them too
and i had the stealth idea probably around the same time or shortly after the DEV - (to my surprise the patch came when i was had in mind to post it on forums)

That both things have been implemented was probably i bit to much. For all those crying "the DEVs know nothing about balancing" - all a balancing DEV can do is "having a goal" "finding ways how to accomplish that" and then "testing it".

The DEV team itself can test features, try to balance it, but only around their playstyle and then they have to release it to the audience. The Perpetuum Populations is WAY to small to support a "public test server". Many of the balancing issues do not arise when you fight 10vs10 or 20vs20 -> they show up when 200 player with creativity and 200 different skill settings get their hands on it.
Even after that - there has to be one who finds the most obvious strong built.

I take the ictus as example:
- it was announced (forum posts about how imba it will be)
- it was released (forum posts how useless it is)
- 3 month later, nothing changed at all - someone found how IMBA that thing was
- after that: 1/3 of a battlegroup consisted of shield-drainer ictusses that could permatank, even with "energy management" and "accumulator expansion" at the minimum level you need to skill drainer...

and now im still wondering why there are no seth+gropho squads out there anymore which could pwn anything in their way during beta... (noone using evasives, so they wont need any stabilizers... )

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

No more balance changes until we get the test server.
Current game goal: Stockpile.

smile

*head expands too much to post relevant information*