Topic: Weightless arms for EWAR Mechs

I enjoy my zeniths / vagabonds a lot. They look nasty .. and of course they are. tongue

But for weight/speed reason i never fit any weapons.
Which in return means that they never have arms. sad

Cant we/i have some weightless(useless) arms to fix that optical issue?

Re: Weightless arms for EWAR Mechs

that would stop identifying you as Nexus buffer, so i cant agree srry.
big_smile

Well yea .. i forgot remoteamps .. which make my zenith look gay.
So maybe some cool remoteamps arms wink

more "arms" are in the works AFAIK.

i'm still waiting for the Laser arms with hands, that work similar as medum neuts, drainer or Missile launcher (gropho only)

most Mechs should get a empty arm/hand mesh for the two side slots.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Bumping this for further discussion:

instead of adding an armo that has no mass, i would rather see arms that DO have a mass that cannot be unequipped but "upgraded" with weapons or equip.

Equipping a weapon on such a slot would not increase the mass of the robot (or only by the difference between empty arm and module) and not slowing it down.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

instead of adding an armo that has no mass, i would rather see arms that DO have a mass that cannot be unequipped but "upgraded" with weapons or equip.

Equipping a weapon on such a slot would not increase the mass of the robot (or only by the difference between empty arm and module) and not slowing it down.

Sir, I very much like your idea.  It is sad that for speed purposes we are almost forced to get out with only half-fitted ewars.
This would at least allow some ewars to pewpew a bit, and have more fun.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

you have to see the drawbacks too - it would lower the speed of "empty" slot-builds too -> which is imho not to bad either.

Annihilator wrote:

I don't really like this idea. It doesn't seem to add anything, it only removes some customization options.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

9 (edited by 12oz Jesus 2011-06-13 20:55:30)

Suggestion: Give all combat bots weapon "hardpoints" that can fit the bots' "standard" weapons (i.e. Medium EM guns on a Kain, Medium Missiles on Tyrannos, etc) and are included in chasis mass with no penalty to default speed.  Any un-standard weapons (firearms, missiles on laser bots, etc) would have an increase in mass, but would still be tactically pheasible.

Reasoning: The current system encourages bots used in certain roles - artifact scanning (non-combat sites), scouts, transporting, EWAR, etc - to run around the planet unarmed (and rather unaesthetically pleasing).  From a game-play perspective, you want all combat bots to be armed, even when the pilot may not have anticipated the need he now finds himself with to fire them.  Ganking unarmed bots = no fun and having to leave your guns at home to get more speed is frustrating and simply un-fun.

All thoughts welcome, drop them below.

10 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-06-13 22:27:06)

12oz Jesus wrote:

Suggestion: Give all combat bots weapon "hardpoints" that can fit the bots' "standard" weapons (i.e. Medium EM guns on a Kain, Medium Missiles on Tyrannos, etc) and are included in chasis mass with no penalty to default speed.  Any un-standard weapons (firearms, missiles on laser bots, etc) would have an increase in mass, but would still be tactically pheasible.

Reasoning: The current system encourages bots used in certain roles - artifact scanning (non-combat sites), scouts, transporting, EWAR, etc - to run around the planet unarmed (and rather unaesthetically pleasing).  From a game-play perspective, you want all combat bots to be armed, even when the pilot may not have anticipated the need he now finds himself with to fire them.  Ganking unarmed bots = no fun and having to leave your guns at home to get more speed is frustrating and simply un-fun.

I think something of this sort has to be implemented. Currently mass discourages people too much in their equipping. Your suggestion certainly makes good sense, but I also think the same logic should apply to leg and head slots. This would also encourage people to try to use more different types of modules. While there is mass, people will only ever consider equipping something if they really need it.

- Edited to make sense after the thread merge...

Snowstyle wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

I don't really like this idea. It doesn't seem to add anything, it only removes some customization options.

as you can see in the merged in posts - it would do exactly the opposite - adding customization options because bots wont get slowed down by fitting stuff into those slots

Annihilator wrote:
Snowstyle wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

as you can see in the merged in posts - it would do exactly the opposite - adding customization options because bots wont get slowed down by fitting stuff into those slots

No those option already exist. What your taking away is the benefit of not having any modules.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

13 (edited by Annihilator 2011-06-14 12:02:34)

maximum speed - go empty = 1 choice

maximum speed  - only fit two slots =
(number of possible items that can fit into those slots that down have more mass then the default arm has)^2

taking a Kain as example, with 500kg arms:
you can fit EM guns, Gaus, Neuts, drainer, t2 firearms, med laser, remote repair, energy transfer without speed penalty.

thats 63 possible fits more then now.

(sorry if the math is wrong, im in a hurry - fact: its minimum 8 more choices of cutomization)

12oz Jesus wrote:

My suggestion is quite different than the OP's suggestion for ornamental arms on EWAR mechs.  I would appreciate the moderator not meshing posts for rather different suggestions.

15 (edited by Gordon Gekko 2011-06-14 16:11:12)

Edit: err wrong char ;P

.. now on the right char .. wink
While talking about different suggestions within the same topic:

Lol, all i wanted is some arms and thats not a balancing issue but a optical issue.
Please dont complicate things by adding a *** of features around a OPTICAL issue wink

This discussion is like: "Will/should the new robot paint add additional mass to the robot?"

I like some of your ideas .. but all i want/need/had in mind is some arms that dont add additional mass to my robot.

first request:
there should be arms on "empty" arm-slots

-> discussion: should it have a mass or not?

second request:
there should be default slots that can be equipped without slowing down your bot

-> combine both and you get:
default arm with mass that gets replaced by equipment.

result= win + win situation.

the Topicstarter can go out with his ewar mech and always has arms or weapons, and isn't slower then any1 else because he fitted something there.
All robots/mechs lwf-empty-fitted top speed would be slowed down by ~5% globally, but the customization options for an effective/usefull build will be increase drastically.

speed is king -> leave slots empty -> incraese group member count to compensate unused slots without slowing down -> blob.

Robot Prosthesis?

Really, nonfunctional arms for aethstetic reasons only? IMO, I'm a robot, if it's not functional I don't need it.

Arga wrote:

Robot Prosthesis?

Really, nonfunctional arms for aethstetic reasons only? IMO, I'm a robot, if it's not functional I don't need it.

/emote middlefinger

wink

*raises pirate hook arm*

Arrrr  *lol* yarr

21 (edited by Annihilator 2011-06-19 00:45:04)

the default arm could do "2*hitsize" spectral AOE damage, with a radius of robots default-hitsize and same AP consumption as damge. yarr

(example: Zenith default arm doing 14 damage for 14 AP in a 7m radius)

I want some arms that can do melee damage to make my ictus more usable big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

im with reducing modules weight too;
no fun riding nude bots, nor good for esentia flow either.
more variability on fits, more versatile bots, more use for modules, more use for fitting extensions; and some real utility to mk2 extra slots.

AgY (brain in hungarian wink ) i understand.

So i think, we can solve this problem, developers can (should) make general looking for bots, without modules and if you dont fit anything they looks like this common looks. And this is dosent change the mass/speed this is only optical question.

So i want to see my Yagel best lookings if just lwf and nexus fit, or Vagabond if only use ECM and so on.

I agree with AgY, but this is not the 1st problem in the problem list so it is not more important now, we should solved the less playerbase problem :S

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

25 (edited by 12oz Jesus 2011-07-08 20:35:32)

Bumping this for input from our influx of most recently arrived and welcomed new players.

To be clear - since a moderator insisted on combining 2 threads only loosley related with very different requested results (original thread title for feature 1 is "Weapon mass: Discouraging the un-game-ly weaponless combat bots": the requests covered by this thread are 2 seperate features. 

Feature 1:  Including standard weapons for each combat bot in the mass of said bot - therefore causing no speed penalty or bonus for armless bots.  Non-standard or "add-on" weapons (i.e. the 2 missile slots on a Kain) would affect mass/speed as they do now preserving tactical variations.

feature 2:  Simply cosmetic arms added to EWAR bots that typically don't mount weapons due to speed concerns.

Discuss away.