1 (edited by Annihilator 2011-06-04 23:28:34)

Topic: Passive mode for ECM and Supressor

How about a secondary mode for ECM and Supressor:

instead of jamming my targets locking computer, this mode would only affect someone elses lock on my robot.

Turning those two Modules from offensive into defensive modules, that wont pvp flag myself if someone tries to lock and shoot me.

-passive ECM would have a chance to break the lock,
-passive Supressor would have a chance to slow down the locktime
or break the lock due to locking range reduction.

passive mode would take less AP/s as active mode, and could still be "countered" with ECCM and Sensor amps.

additionally - that would make industrial npcs that are using ecm more logical. (especially Lairds)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Passive mode for ECM and Supressor

I like the idea of passives modules.

But how will passives ECM works? Exactly like active ECM... but only towards people who locked you? This sounds more like an active auto-counter target ECM.

But we don't have that many slots on our bots. Once you fit the passives ones, will you have slots to fit at least a few actives modules? If fights turns into afk/auto, this won't be very interesting.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

3 (edited by Ivor 2011-06-05 03:49:59)

Are you mad bro !

ECM is a major part of the game and winning the ECM war is half of any battle.

Remember ECMing is not a casual part of the game you can throw on any combat bot as you need the bonus' from the bots to be good at this. Making it only remove your lock will mean the EWAR bots would not be needed because they could only stop themselves from being popped and when you have no guns (as all good Vaga pilots do) what's the point ????? You may aswell not be there ......

Without ECM it would be a pure DPS slug fest with no skill required just who can feed the most DPS.

What do you want to do next remove Dmobs ?

The big problem at the moment is there is not enough EWAR's as they in some Corps do a thankless job fortunately for me this is not the case hence we have plenty.

The devs need to look at something here which will encourage more pilots into it , the DPS has a kill board. ECM's and Suppressors need something also which is not exploitable .

Maybe a assist board or something I don't know what will be possible. (Hint : maybe a ECM success ratio board that does not include friendly tags)

However Corps can do there bit by encouraging it as this problem will not go away for you without them.

If you cannot field people into a fight with good ECM / Suppressor skills you have to look at alternatives like sacrificing speed and slots to pack ECCM's .

To close ECM is part of team play and that is what a MMO is about nothing to do with 1 man armies which is what you are pointing at here.

4 (edited by Annihilator 2011-06-05 11:56:00)

Ivor: -10 points for reading comprehension skills.

at least read the initial post, not only the title.

does self repair modules make remote repair useless
do remote sensor amps make normal sensor amps useless?

do injectors, accumulators, rechargers, recharge nexus make neuts and drainer useless?

do active armor hardener make weapons useless?
(should all those modules pvp flag you when you use them?)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Gaulois wrote:

I like the idea of passives modules.

But how will passives ECM works? Exactly like active ECM... but only towards people who locked you? This sounds more like an active auto-counter target ECM.

im thinking about having both otpions on the same modules - like you can switch between auto-cycle and single cycle mode. The calculation would be exactly the same as with active ecm - based on your ECM strength vs. the attacking agents sensor strength.

Because there is no difference between beeing locked by friend or foe - this would also have the disadvantage of breaking lock of Remote-Repairer!

If your attacker has an ECCM fitted, it would not work very often - except if he's under the influence of Interference.

Gaulois wrote:

But we don't have that many slots on our bots. Once you fit the passives ones, will you have slots to fit at least a few actives modules? If fights turns into afk/auto, this won't be very interesting.

Thats the key balancing element - you have to sacrifice a headslot to benefit from this effect. It would be not much different from fitting a shield hardener that is increasing your shield efficiency.

At the same time - it would turn ECCM into a module that someone would want to fit for offense, not only defense. I cant see how this would turn anything into afk mode.
ECMs use huge ammount of AP/s, and its only a matter of self defense and doesnt affect the role of EWAR bots that use ECM and Supressor to break the targets attack possibilities.

I think passive ECM is EECM in some case. So I understand you would like to have "active" EECM with more AP vs more effect.

Seems quite nice to have such a thing, but not the top of my wishlist.

its not on the top of the wishlist of combat agents, but of those Industrials that want to have a chance to survive a roaming gang attack (may it be an npc or player force)

As industrial your always forced to do nothing but running, because any countermeasure aside of shield and armor will flag you and block your last resort - the teleporter or outpost.
you see what the result ingame is (as you can't tank without all head and legslots dedicated for that task): outpost hugging.

passive version of neuts/drainers/transferers please. Greenies need improvements too.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086