26 (edited by Alexadar 2011-09-03 09:34:04)

Re: Player built/owned structures - suggestion collection

Reserved for something.
Read post below!

for more basic PoS discussion -> http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topic/1904/pos-why/

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I do think the defense subsystems need to be autonomous in all incarnations. This enables some defense even if nobody from the owning corporation is online.

Scanner arrays/watch towers need to work as a warning system. If a non-corporation entity is detected, every corp member in the tower range gets a warning and the ofending item (whatever it is) appears on the radar. This is updated in set intervals (so not continuous) like 20-30 seconds to prevent server performance problems.

I'll work on a list of modules and descriptions to add to the thread and add more posts.

I didn't see this while I was scanning.

Player owned structures should be based off of Water Platforms.  I don't like the idea that players can "corner" a piece of the land and therefore the game board by dropping a structure on it.  Island area is already small and does not need to be cluttered with various structures.

I propose:
All 3 races of water platforms that give mild bonuses to the structure and activities that take place inside.

Why water based?  Well the lore is that the water is energized and therefore eliminates the ability to cross it.  So I see an Organic Generator that feeds off of already existing plant bases that can be harvested.  This generator would eat for example 2 units of Noralgis, 10 units of Heliopis and 15 units of Triandlus every hr.  The mixture of the waters energy and the decomposing of the plant fuel would be the power supply for the structure.

Water is all around every land mass so we won't be cluttering up the land with structures.

Entry to Player structure should be an electronic ramp that emits when the password is correct and retracts when it is Closed.  Make the ramp energy color the color of the specific race platform.

Structure should only be anchor able where access to the waterline permits it and add some nice buffer between structures like 1200km so no two structures can be seen at one time from land (don't want to clutter up the beaches!)

I don't like the idea that plants can be grown in them.  Noralgis market will crash and the whole idea is to ninja garden.  If we allow anyone to plant inside a POS, then the whole Noralgis thing looses it feel.  There are better improvements to growing Nor that can be implemented.

Make Alpha pos only achorable by standing and make them EXPENSIVE but not able to be destroyed.  Also let them be disassembled and moved (lots of work to do this btw).

Some bonus ideas per race:
Nuim: -2% ammo material production
Thel: +3% ore refine rate
Pel: + 5% storage capacity in storage module.

I think that each structure should be limited to the number of modules (love a bunch of the ones in this thread already)

For instance: Alpha structures: limited to 40sqkm footprint, one Organic Generator, one storage module, one refinery.

Or option: one organic Generator, one repair station, one production module.

(Idea is that you have to leave to do things, not a do all, control all base)

Beta islands: 80sqkm footprint and like 6 modules...adding defenses, radar, and others mentioned again in this thread.

TL/DR: player structures based over water, limited in activity to keep players on the game board.

30 (edited by Beasty 2011-09-29 23:23:16)

Secure Teleport relay:

One unit per POS (outpost) as it it using the main power of the POS any POS can only operate one at any given point in time. 

This item should take about 5 minutes to deploy and have about ~80U in mass. This unit is designed to be deployed within 5Km of POS and act as a two way teleport that has a life span of 30 to 60 min. This item will be designed to be used for Flanking / defense of POS and or logistics.

Could even separate this item in to two items that are direction based one that takes you to the POS and one that takes you away from the POS.

In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone.
~Bill Gates~

31 (edited by Yohey 2011-09-30 01:09:26)

So many structures and not a single one for gathering, wtf seriously smile ?

Automatic mine.

S: You place it, it mines %) , needs some fuel, yields more than mining bot, stores gathered in itself, can be placed only on Beta, can be destroyed by bots.

L: Explained the idea in "making beta more lively" topic. Such things should be implemented as a whole new system of territorial warfare with Outpost changes and other things.

32 (edited by Arga 2011-09-30 01:32:48)

<.<

[Begin Message Topic: 4]

Just say No to automated resource gathering

[/end Message:4 ]

Edit: The arguement for this hasn't changed since piglet brought up the subject months ago. Mining/harvesting is a profession in the game. Having devices that perform that function without needing a player present highly devalues that profession. POS's that enhance mining/harvesting like auras or remote storage sheds are great because they add value to those professions.

33 (edited by Yohey 2011-09-30 23:48:56)

>>> Mining/harvesting is a profession in the game. Having devices that perform that function without needing a player present highly devalues that profession.

Not true.

- People are already leaving their bots AFK for night\lunchbreak etc to mine on Alpha so it's already "semi automatic".
- You can make it so that your extensions that affect gathering efficiency apply to POS in a way they work with bot. Better miner will always mine better with POS. Don't have extensions? Can't place\operate POS.
- No POS on Alpha. Attackable POS on Beta. Means it won't be that simple to mine with POS as well.

It's not that game breaking if properly balanced...
\\\\\\ Just killed afk mining Argano while writing this topic LOL %)))
So as I was saying if mining abilities of POS can be properly balanced with extensions and bots imo it should be all fine. It's not a question of yes or no but of balancing the numbers.

As long as the character has to be online and active at the POS, then it's not automated and then yes its just a matter of balancing it.

AFK is different from drop it and leave. This POS idea is a DIRECT replacement for a mining bot, not an enhancement to it. Ore is one of the basic items in the game, and has direct sale value. Allowing this type of POS would be the same as dropping a combat POS at a NPC spawn and having it kill and loot while your not even logged in. Or, in simpler words, its a POS that just generates NIC while you sleep.

POS should never replace bots (which are characters). I know that other game does it, but that doesn't mean its a good idea.

>>> its a POS that just generates NIC while you sleep
I can do that with bot right now. Just leave it at good mining spot and go watch TV, SLEEP, do anything I want. I have no need to actually PLAY the game. It's already automated.

The best implementation of such gathering system was in the release of Star Wars Galaxies. It was neatly balanced and gatherers were doing just fine as well as crafters. No "devaluation" and economy was working fine. My point is that this whole thing can be optimized much better and make Beta more lively and interesting place to be.

Mining is boring. Please automate with POS.

Acutally, driving out and emptying the POS is boring too, how about it just teleports the material to the nearest outpost.

On the other hand, the nearest outpost is a factory, better it teleports it to the nearest refinery.

Mining, hauling, PVP, PVE, ... these are all roles that are full-filled by robots in the game, not by structures.

And to clear up the mining thing for new players that may be reading this.

AFK mining is limited by your cargo space and the number of cycles per tile. Liquids are the only resources that can be effectively mined using a cargo bot with a single tile targeted. The largest multi-tile mining bot, the Riveler, will still only hold 21U of ore max if you set it and walk away. Single tile mining on ores are limited to 255 cycles which is about 190K of titan or 10U without yeild bonuses.

Yohey wrote:

>>> its a POS that just generates NIC while you sleep
I can do that with bot right now. Just leave it at good mining spot and go watch TV, SLEEP, do anything I want. I have no need to actually PLAY the game. It's already automated.

The best implementation of such gathering system was in the release of Star Wars Galaxies. It was neatly balanced and gatherers were doing just fine as well as crafters. No "devaluation" and economy was working fine. My point is that this whole thing can be optimized much better and make Beta more lively and interesting place to be.

You still need to be logged in and mining with a bot which is fine. Not logged out  and gathering resources,that's what Arga is saying.

RIP PERPETUUM

38 (edited by Syndic 2011-10-01 02:36:22)

Um, but mining IS boring. We can argue that its something that should be done by players, but I personally run 8 separate Riveler Mk2 accounts when my corp is mining. Another guy is running 6, that guy is running 2, that guy is still sitting in his Termis, main two producers are running some 20-25 Rivelers between them... Hell, thats like 5-10 guys running 30-40 miners.

It's mind-numbingly boring and tedious.

I personally have NOTHING at ALL against player structures like automated mining/harvesting facilities. It gives something to fight over anyway, I assume it would be open to player damage so as long as it wasn't something you'd destroy with 2-3 light bots in a 5 AM alarmclock raid, thats fine.

Only condition would be make it not usable on Alpha. Only on Beta, where its open PVP.

Roaming would have a tactical purpose again rather then "lets go roam and hope someone's dumb enough", people would have a reason to undock & protect their stuff. As it is now, its just useless.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Actually if mining is boring or not is not a concern for me cause I won't ever mine, I'm pvp for teh life guy smile . My goal is to try and come up with ideas that can give Beta more purpose and activity.

>>> AFK mining is limited by your cargo...
Actually it's not a problem too smile . You can easily automate moving the resource from cargo to container via simple Autohotkey script or similar soft. It's not interfering with game, simply moves your mouse. Number of cycles per tile can be balanced between bots\pos and alpha\beta accordingly to prevent anything gamebreaking.

>>> You still need to be logged in and mining with a bot which is fine. Not logged out  and gathering resources,that's what Arga is saying.
And what I'm trying to say is that resource gathering with POS without being logged in brings no real harm and the benefits of it (see below) are numerous.

>>> Only condition would be make it not usable on Alpha. Only on Beta, where its open PVP.
That's the main point of the idea. No POS on Alpha means no easy automated resource gathering. More benefits of going and trying to operate on Beta and protect your holdings there.

>>> Roaming would have a tactical purpose again rather then "lets go roam and hope someone's dumb enough", people would have a reason to undock & protect their stuff. As it is now, its just useless.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Scripts like that are bannable. just fyi

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Yohey wrote:

>>> AFK mining is limited by your cargo...
Actually it's not a problem too smile . You can easily automate moving the resource from cargo to container via simple Autohotkey script or similar soft. It's not interfering with game, simply moves your mouse. Number of cycles per tile can be balanced between bots\pos and alpha\beta accordingly to prevent anything gamebreaking.

Thanks for introducing us to CHAOS scripting practices, Yohey. I wonder if devs are still blind to these kinds of activities.

And I was wondering why some people call mining an AFK activity (hint: for legit miners it is not).

42 (edited by Cassius 2011-10-02 21:57:15)

Research Station.

Corps collect kernels and throw them into station (where they are consumed)
Let's say for every 500 4th level Mech kernels installed the station gives out a 1% bonus towards T4 item research. When the corp researcher is in the PoS and the bonus gives him enough to have 100%, he can make his prototype.
Should the researcher leave the PoS or the corp for the matter, he loses the bonus, but retains his personal level. This bonus should be capped to a maximum of 6%, or whatever figures allows it to be a valuable module and enhancment to a Corps' assets, but not make it too easy for higher teir production.

Plus making it a Beta stucture and destroyable makes it a very worthwhile building and a great reason to either attack or defend it, because of the potential massive amounts of kernel bonus that could be lost.  Have the same structure in an Alpha PoS but with slightly lower % bonus, and it still makes a Nic sink like a PoS a worthwhile investment.

And corps don't lose 100% of their research investment when their prototyper decides to quit the corp.

Alpha, beta only, is not the issue.

REPLACING player functions with automation is a bad idea, regardless of how boring it is for some, because other players do like it. Syndic, I'd also mention here that you probably have millions of U of reserve ore too, that is your not mining for a specific need, just to maintain reserves. When your out of something, it feels more relevant when your mining for it, even if the process is boring.

I understand that the POS miner is supposed to 'supplement' ore gathering, but whatever limitations are set, corporations will find away to work around them. This is especially true while server population is low and player involvement is down.

I suppose if the POS was some non-minable resource, like the energy system is going to be, then it's fine.

44 (edited by Sundial 2011-10-03 23:33:08)

I completely agree with Arga here, buff mining via station / POS Nexus modules yes. Automate mining, no thanks.

I personally enjoy mining and harvesting. I enjoy working towards a goal to build some nice modules / bots.

Don't devalue mining as a profession just because some burn themselves out mining for hours on end everyday with 8 accounts.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Need to balance all those defensive structures with something that enables people to attack easily as well you know tongue

even if there is a Defense turret that can shoot at 1km range with missiles on 2s cycletime - there is no reason to implement ANYTHING new to counter it. That would be total fail, as everything necessary to defeat that is already ingame.

sure, you wont be able to overcome that turret with 3 assault bots in 5minutes...

Player could overcome indestructible 1km shooting instant-death laser police-towers during beta (with a shield seth btw) and the tools to do so have been increased since then...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Arga wrote:

Alpha, beta only, is not the issue.

REPLACING player functions with automation is a bad idea, regardless of how boring it is for some, because other players do like it. Syndic, I'd also mention here that you probably have millions of U of reserve ore too, that is your not mining for a specific need, just to maintain reserves. When your out of something, it feels more relevant when your mining for it, even if the process is boring.

I understand that the POS miner is supposed to 'supplement' ore gathering, but whatever limitations are set, corporations will find away to work around them. This is especially true while server population is low and player involvement is down.

I suppose if the POS was some non-minable resource, like the energy system is going to be, then it's fine.

We have 200+ millions stockpiled in Tellesis and Shinjalar each respectively, and another 50-100 mil stockpiled in Danarchov.

That is besides the point tho, I'm not arguing that automated POS mining facilities should be brought in to replace the need for mining, I'm arguing that alternatives should be present. Imagine if that POS mining facility was operating like this:

- When unmanned (to simulate equipment working without supervision) it mines ~1 riveler worth of materials.
- It costs ~10 rivelers worth of materials to build.
- When manned by an industrial toon (to simulate workers utilizing the equipment) it mines ~10 rivelers worth of materials.

That way it stimulates activity (gotta be present on Beta to defend it, gotta undock to defend it, gotta be in it to gain the optimum). It also removes the need for 1 person handling ~10 riveler accounts, which is quite silly really! My corp is the only one with people who have 5-10 mining accounts, results of that industrial advantage are obvious since we're swimming in materials, bots and T4. We view a T4 mech squad as easy to lose & replace as other corps view a T2 speed-fit assault squad.

That way people who actually do stuff on Beta are rewarded for it, and our current playstyle (2 guys online on detectors scouting <-> 20-30 people playing WoT/BF3 waiting for targets) is no longer as efficient as everyone elses. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

It also removes the need for 1 person handling ~10 riveler accounts, which is quite silly really! My corp is the only one with people who have 5-10 mining accounts

This only has an impact because the server population is low. If a corporation had 800 members they could have 200 players with 1 mining account each instead of needing 20 players to have 10 accounts.

But, to your actual POS suggestion. Why have it mine at all when unattended? The issue there is simply that corps with lots of resources then build 100 POS's and then have the equivelent of 100 rivelers worth of material coming in without needing to deploy a single character for resource gathering. Hauling would still be an issue, but there will eventually be a larger hauler, even if not, your still only requiring players to have indy 8 and the remaining EP can be combat or production.

POS's that automatically do something 'replaces' the need for a character to do it. This gives corporations the ability to 'create' more characters; that is if a POS does the same thing a character can do, then it is essentially a character.

Looking specifically at a corp with lots of material now and miner accounts, since you bring it up.

ABC has tons of resources now, so building 10x POS mining units would be negligable impact on current supplies.
Instead of having 10 accounts dedicated to mining, they can reset and have 1 for mining, 3 for production, 6 super sepcific PVP builds. The PVP players with 1 mining account can now produce 10x the amount. The dedicated miner players all keep their 5 miners, but now have 50x the amount.

Let say you can field 40 rivelers now, and it takes the same time/material as 10 Riv to build 1 POS. You could easily build 5 POS's the first 2 weeks, but you'd have 5 POS's running that second week for 35 rivelers + 5x10 = 85 rivlers worth of material, meaning you could easily build 10 the third week, but during the 3rd week you know have 10x10 + 30 = 130 rivelers worth of mats so by the end of a month, you would have all 40 POS's built, and the fifth month be mining 400 rivelers worth of mats a week attended, and 40's worth 24/7. Some of those POS could even DIE, but its' ok since your mining the equivalent replacement value in less than a day.

Depending on how the POS were deployed, you'd more than likely be limited to the field it was mining, but the point is simply how dramatically overpowered something like that would be at scale.

results of that industrial advantage are obvious since we're swimming in materials

Having autmated POS would simply give corps with material advantage MORE material advantage, as well as give them the abiltity to operate at higher effciency with less manpower. Talk about new corps not having a chance, especially if POS was limted to beta Islands where they could never deploy them.

holy crap i never seen this thread!!! anni I love your ideas.... not sure if some 1 said this but.

player built high ways would be awesome to have smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue