Topic: High-Rez World Map Image

Hello, I'm looking for a copy of the in-game world map, preferably with all the icons, the jump points and outposts and such.  Or just the map itself if that is easier.  I was talking to Dev <GargajCNS> in IRC and he told me to make this post as he can make the map image.

My reason for wanting it is that I have a large color plotter at work and I want to print the world map out for my wall.

Thank you.

Kynes

Re: High-Rez World Map Image

This map should have a cool logo and signatures from all the DEV's on it too...make it look a bit cooler hangin on that wall....

Just to add this: My plan (eventually) is to add this as a console command into the client so you can later do it yourself. Can't promise icons or labels though.

Oh and note that the image will be HUGE so such exports might take a while and possibly hang the client.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

GLiMPSE wrote:

This map should have a cool logo and signatures from all the DEV's on it too...make it look a bit cooler hangin on that wall....

As far as signatures go, we started signing the posters Kalsius sent us, so as soon as we can get enough of the DEVs to do their errands in the office, you'll prolly get a piece - given that you show up for the next podcast recording wink

DEV Gargaj wrote:
GLiMPSE wrote:

As far as signatures go, we started signing the posters Kalsius sent us, so as soon as we can get enough of the DEVs to do their errands in the office, you'll prolly get a piece - given that you show up for the next podcast recording wink

You, me, squaring off on the podcast -- things would get discussed, matters would get resolved, world hunger would cease to be a concern.

6 (edited by Gut Punch 2011-05-16 18:47:29)

Isn't it possible to extract the high rez images out of the datafile which comes with the game?  Read the right table and build a map?

GLiMPSE wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:
GLiMPSE wrote:

You, me, squaring off on the podcast -- things would get discussed, matters would get resolved, world hunger would cease to be a concern.

This I would definitely hand out signed posters for!

"like Kalsius, a shameless carebear and jitalover" - Syndic
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com
http://www.perpetuum-intelligence.com/killboard/

Gut Punch wrote:

Isn't it possible to extract the high rez images out of the datafile which comes with the game?  Read the right table and build a map?

even then, it would need to extract those maps.

each island is 2048x2048 pixels, 12MB as bitmap. thats only the colored altitude map.
there are several layers that would be intresting to get them seperated - like the buildings layer, impassable terrain, minerals (only the already scanned one, not the server data ofc), etc.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Oh, and just throw in all the mineral spawn sites too ... thanks

Ok, it doesn't hurt to ask, really smile maybe they are sleepy and click happy

Ask, and ye shall receive. smile

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19280483/Stuff/HiRes.zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19280483/Stuff/HiResPrint.zip

Both zip-files contain the terrain maps for all 12 islands, using the altitude coloring and hill shading as explained in this blog post. Next step is to add the static landmarks (terminals, outposts, teleports, ...).

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/~gargaj/fullmap.png (29MB, 10k * 10k, might wanna watch out opening this in a browser.)

Automatic export from the client, lossless, full map. Will add icons + labels if I can.

You guys are awesome!  Thank you!

Gut Punch wrote:

The map data is there, but the zone positions aren't.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Quick question about the mapdata; what's the Z resolution? smile

hmm, a greyscale raw of all islands without the embossing would be a great foundation for a supreme commander 80x80km map big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Alatari wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:

16 bits.

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Alatari wrote:

16 bits.

Sorry, poor wording of my question. The world-distance between X and Y points in the grid appears to be 10m, what is the world-distance between points along the Z axis?

2.5m I think, but I'm not sure.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Thankyou. smile

So with today's patch, the command renderhugemap in the console will dump the very same image out for you.

It will occasionally get updated when I feel energetic and youthful.

Is there a map of the teleport routes?

Alatari wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:

Thankyou. smile

2.5m doesn't make sense, at least with my maths (or do I need to interpret the altitudes as fixed point munbers, i.e. 24.8)?

23 (edited by Alatari 2011-06-29 09:00:09)

Deleted (duplicate post)

Troubleshooter wrote:

Is there a map of the teleport routes?

Apart from the ingame map? Not that I know of, but I should add it to the FOOM wiki.
In the meantime here's a spreadsheet with all the landmark (station, teleport) locations.

There is a map of teleport links on the wiki, but it's not that great.  It's just a grab of the in-game map without labels, since turning them on pretty much obscures everything else.  I'd like to see a nice, clean map with stations/outputs and teleports nicely labeled.  *hint hint*  big_smile

Visit the FOOM Wiki!  Submit changes or requests via the suggestion box, or PM me.