1 (edited by Calio 2011-05-02 14:55:09)

Topic: Kernel changes, Roamers, Infestations, and Unintended Consequences

An MMORPG is an extremely complicated integrated system and changes to one aspect of the system will have a ripple effect through other parts of the system, many of which will be unforseen.

The devs are clearly trying mightily to add PvE content to the game in the realization that it will help greatly in retaining players, reducing the "churn" rate and start the sub rate climbing.  The coming new islands aside, the addition of roamers and then exploration a while back were fun steps in that direction.  Then came the kernel changes (reduced to 50% average drop rate). The changes were beneficial - on balance, but...

Since then, exploration for salvage, science, and observers has remained fun, but infestations are now a borderline waste of time and roamers are now a complete waste of time. 

When the kernel drop rate was 100% roamers were worth tracking down and killing because they represented one of the few chances on alpha islands to get mech kernels and bronze assault kernels.  If you spotted a convoy (or were told of one), and took the time to change bots and track it down, you always got a reward  for the effort: the kernels.  Now, it's no longer worth the effort.  They drop lousy loot and if you're lucky, you'll get 3-4 kernels from the entire convoy (half of which are from T3 lights/assaults, and can be gotten anywhere).  I don't know how many convoys I've seen since the kernel changes that have been completely ignored by players. 

The same with infestations.  I personally now only use my combat bot for observers and use a fast small bot for all other explorations. For infestations I spawn them, grab the loot and run. 95% of the time I never go back, because the few times I have I got crap from the drops most of the time. I only go back now if the infestation is lev 2 or 3 and near enough to a teleport or outpost to endanger someone zoning in.  What's more, many of the lev 2+ infestations I've spawned could be spotted from trafficed areas and they were still there hours later, so I'm not the only one ignoring them.

In sum, the kernel changes made it no longer worth while to go through the bother of hunting down roamers or infestation spawns.  The loot drops are normal and represent stuff that drops from every other normal (and easier to get to) npc spawn and the kernel drops are not reliable enough to make the time and effort to kill the associated mech (50% of 1 = zero 50% of the time) worthwhile.

So, by making the kernel changes (which were worthwhile), the devs accidentally gutted 2 other aspects of the game.  These are special (non-repeating spawns). It should be possible to code them for 100% kernel drops (like observers), a better chance of T2 loot drops, or anything else that will make the travel time and effort to kill them worthhwhile again.  It's a shame that a significant chunk of their earlier effortss has been effectively harmed by their later efforts.

Re: Kernel changes, Roamers, Infestations, and Unintended Consequences

Calio wrote:

An MMORPG is an extremely complicated integrated system and changes to one aspect of the system will have a ripple effect through other parts of the system, many of which will be unforseen.

The devs are clearly trying mightily to add PvE content to the game in the realization that it will help greatly in retaining players, reducing the "churn" rate and start the sub rate climbing.  The coming new islands aside, the addition of roamers and then exploration a while back were fun steps in that direction.  Then came the kernel changes (reduced to 50% average drop rate). The changes were beneficial - on balance, but...

Since then, exploration for salvage, science, and observers has remained fun, but infestations are now a borderline waste of time and roamers are now a complete waste of time. 

When the kernel drop rate was 100% roamers were worth tracking down and killing because they represented one of the few chances on alpha islands to get mech kernels and bronze assault kernels.  If you spotted a convoy (or were told of one), and took the time to change bots and track it down, you always got a reward  for the effort: the kernels.  Now, it's no longer worth the effort.  They drop lousy loot and if you're lucky, you'll get 3-4 kernels from the entire convoy (half of which are from T3 lights/assaults, and can be gotten anywhere).  I don't know how many convoys I've seen since the kernel changes that have been completely ignored by players. 

The same with infestations.  I personally now only use my combat bot for observers and use a fast small bot for all other explorations. For infestations I spawn them, grab the loot and run. 95% of the time I never go back, because the few times I have I got crap from the drops most of the time. I only go back now if the infestation is lev 2 or 3 and near enough to a teleport or outpost to endanger someone zoning in.  What's more, many of the lev 2+ infestations I've spawned could be spotted from trafficed areas and they were still there hours later, so I'm not the only one ignoring them.

In sum, the kernel changes made it no longer worth while to go through the bother of hunting down roamers or infestation spawns.  The loot drops are normal and represent stuff that drops from every other normal (and easier to get to) npc spawn and the kernel drops are not reliable enough to make the time and effort to kill the associated mech (50% of 1 = zero 50% of the time) worthwhile.

So, by making the kernel changes (which were worthwhile), the devs accidentally gutted 2 other aspects of the game.  These are special (non-repeating spawns). It should be possible to code them for 100% kernel drops (like observers), a better chance of T2 loot drops, or anything else that will make the travel time and effort to kill them worthhwhile again.  It's a shame that a significant chunk of their earlier effortss has been effectively harmed by their later efforts.

You can spawn these roaming spawns with artifiact scanning now...so it's fine..

GLiMPSE wrote:

You can spawn these roaming spawns with artifiact scanning now...so it's fine..

However they can be generated, they are NOT worth generating or killing since the kernel changes. That's my point.

Infestations are part of caches to defend the cache that could hold -T3 items, not as additional loot.

Grand observers still drop kernels 100% of the time, as well as having a nice cache. This is acceptable because GO's do not have a fixed spawn point so can't be farmed.

To compensate for the kernel removal, the game needs to increase or add another extension to improve the amount learned per kernel. Increasing the drop rate is not required, and would simply make NPC farming much too profitable per hour since the NIC 'bounty' was added.

Arga wrote:

Infestations are part of caches to defend the cache that could hold -T3 items, not as additional loot.

Grand observers still drop kernels 100% of the time, as well as having a nice cache. This is acceptable because GO's do not have a fixed spawn point so can't be farmed.

To compensate for the kernel removal, the game needs to increase or add another extension to improve the amount learned per kernel. Increasing the drop rate is not required, and would simply make NPC farming much too profitable per hour since the NIC 'bounty' was added.

Yes, Infestation NPCs defend the cache, but they are not worth killing and they once were. That is my point. 

Infestation caches have no more a fixed spawn point than GOs do. And the caches on both types suck consistently. I have never (to the best of my recollection) ever gotten a T-3 mod from an infestation cache (always from salvage chaches)  Some missles, ammo, fragments and that's about it.  The loot from a GO spawn is the T2 mods the GO always drops, along with the kernel, not the cache, which is the same basic crap as an infestation cache.  The infestations drop no such T2 loot. You don't want them to drop kernels, then make them have a DECENT chance  (not the usual 1:100) chance of dropping good mods.

I never suggested that the drop rate for NPC kernels be increased! I don't know where you got that from at all.  I suggested that the drop rate on kernels for infestations and roamers be increased to make them worth actually killing. That's all.

I'm still not sure you have made a point of why these Infestation NPC's need to have better loot. Just like any other mob, they now drop 'goo' and still have a 50% kernel drop rate.

The NPC's spawning from infestations are not special the same level and types are available for farming from known spawn points. The drops from the infestation wasn't better before the removal of the kernels, why should it be better after the removal?

Saying they aren't worth killing now is saying that none of the NPC's are worth killing without kernels; hence the conclusion that your asking for the kernel reversion.

I'm not saying your incorrect, only that you havn't supported the arguement that Infestation NPC's need better loot. The only valid arguement being level III spawning Mechs on alpha that you wouldn't otherwise have access too, but those mechs are now going to be available on the Alpha-II Islands.

I didn't make a point of saying infestation PNC's "need" to drop better loot. I made a point of saying there needs to be a reason for people to invest the time and effort to kill them (and roamers).  That reason can be better than average loot drops, better than average kernel drops, or anything else the devs can dream up. I'm agnostic on what the solution is. I just mentioned some possibilities that came immediately to mind. I am not wedded to any of them.

P.S. Leave it to the random number gods to prove me wrong as soon as i open my mouth (my last post) yesterday.  A T2 infestation cache just dropped a T3- module for me for the first time instead of the usual T0 and T1 versions.  But that's the cache, not the mob, and it doesn't make the guarding mob any more worth killing.

In fact, I grabbed the cache and ran, leaving the mech standing there. He was still there over an hour later when I next passed through the area, meaning that all the other people who had seen him hadn't gone to the trouble of taking their non combat and low level combat bots back to their bases to get their mechs to take the npc out. It just isn't worth the 10-15 minutes to go get their mech on the 50% chance they'll get a kernel and even smaller chance of getting a decent loot drop.

The Devs have invested time and resources in creating these aspects (infestation NPC's and roamers) of the game and since the kernel drop rate was reduced they are being ignored by way too many people.  In in essence this is a waste of the time and resources the devs invested in creating them. That's a shame. PO is a bootstrap operation and they don't have  that many resources that they can afford to waste a bunch by letting an already-existing aspect of the game atrophy away.

That was my confusion, because I'm usually out in a termis doing caches, so always just scooted away from the npc spawns, for me it wasn't worth killing them before either. This is what I meant by them guarding the cache, if your not paying attention, and pop an infestation without planning an exit route, you could end up losing your bot (not much chance, but a little). But of course I was doing this solo.

Are you scanning in a combat bot or dragging a combat alt along with you? A termis with a T3/4 geoscanner is 100% accurate, makes finding caches must faster. The only time I bring my Mech out for is the GO's.

Calio:
According to your arguments the only thing infestation NPCs (and thus ALL normal NPCs) are worth killing for, are kernels. Is this really the case? Have we arrived at the point where modules and NIC are completely worthless?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Calio:
According to your arguments the only thing infestation NPCs (and thus ALL normal NPCs) are worth killing for, are kernels. Is this really the case? Have we arrived at the point where modules and NIC are completely worthless?

Thanks for replying, but you misunderstand the problem. 

Normal NPCs respawn. If you take a mission you have to kill some number greater than 1 of them (usually 5-16). If you just want to farm you can kill as many as you want.  In that relatively large number of kills, you will get a some number of kernels (~half the number of kills), some loot, plasma, etc. making it worth the time it takes to make the trip to the spawn point.

Roamers and infestation NPC's do NOT respawn.  A typical roamer convoy will have 1 mech, a few bronze sequers, and a few T3 light combat bots (these last are the same type as any normal T3 alpha spawn).  A typical infestation spawn is 1 mech (lev 2) with 1 light bot (lev 3).  Once they're dead, it's all over.  It's just not worth the investment of time to make the trip to intercept them on the 50% chance of getting just a single mech kernel (and maybe 1-2 bronze kernels and a little of the same basic loot that you can get from any normal npc spawn in the case or roamers).  In a normal npc spawn you can fill your hold with loot and/or plasma as long as you made the trip, making the trip worthwhile whether or not you get lucky on the kernel drops.  Not so on the Infestation NPCs and (to a slightly lesser extent) the roamers.  Plasma doesn't enter into the equation at all. You can get it anywhere, so again, one is better off working a normal npc spawn (which is also usually more convenient to get to than the infestation/roamer).

It's all about the return on time invested in game play.  My point is that if one wants mech kernels, it is now much more efficient to farm a normal spawn or do combat missions, selling the lower level kernels and then buying the mech kernel, than it is spending 15 minutes traveling to MAYBE get 1 mech kernel. Same for the bronze assault kernels. 

My point is that infestation spawns and roamers take longer to get to than normal spawns and (because they are 1-time spawns) the possible reward for making the trip is lower.  So, why bother with them.  Yes, eventually someone will come along and kill them, but you don't see people racing to be the first to get there any more.  You don't even see people slowly walking over to them nowadays.

I remember spawning an infestation 2 mech last week and then coming back the next day in search of an observer spawn and having to finally kill it then (just because it was in my way and I didn't want to fight it and the observer at the same time).  This was despite the fact that the mech was visible in landmarks for over 1000 meters and there were people farming npc spawns and mining in the general area when I first spawned the NPC.

I'm sorry but your points still seem a bit mixed up for me. On one hand your point is that infestations are not the best for kernel farming, and I agree.
And then you say that infestations are not the best for anything else, cause you can get the same NPCs closer too. Well, maybe, but not always.

Infestations are good for those players who would like to fight some bigger robots than themselves, without the danger of constant respawns. You roll in, take them one by one, and you're happy you survived. And even have a chance for modules that you would otherwise only get from spawns that you don't dare to approach. It's sortof our version of a solo raid smile

12 (edited by Arga 2011-05-04 03:46:37)

I still don't see any reason to treat basic NPC's any differently just because they spawned from a cache. The incentive to track down the infestation is the cache itself, if the NPC's were the only prize, than you would have a strong arguement.

edit: in after zoom

I don't know where that mech was spawned, but I always go after them if I'm already out and about on my mech, because the kernels sell for a lot on the market, and even a 50% chance at 500k is worth the time. But I don't interrupt a artifact session to switch to my combat alt.

13 (edited by Ember 2011-05-04 04:51:15)

I think you might also be overlooking the level of unpredictability that roaming spawns add.  To my shame I was semi-afk mining, and making a sandwich yesterday when a grand observer unexpectedly spawned.  A few days before that I was doing some solo PvE on a beta island when a golden hauler started flanking me, it breaks up the monotony. They might seem an inconvenience or even a tragedy but it's nice that the game can offer the occasional surprise outside of PvP.

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

@Dev Zoom

I understand your point, but almost anyone able to take on an infestation 2/3 mech is able to take on one of the solo T1 mechs that are permanent spawns on the alpha islands (and which drop the same loot as the infestation mechs.  So, the people you appear to be trying to appeal to are a small minority of the game population.  But, for the majority of the game population, you run into a problem that is a combination of economics, probabilities, and psychology.  Let me phrase the problem in a different way.

Players have a finite amount of time in which to play and advance their characters' goals and tend to pick relatively efficient ways to spend their limited amount of time.  The hard-core players will calaculate it down to how many NIC/hour various activities yield, but even the casual players get a general sense over time of whether what they are doing is worth the time and effort they spend doing it.  If their sense is that it doesn't pay, they eventually stop doing it.

Let's say a hypothetical player takes a hypothetical mission to kill 10 bots or decides to go farm one of the solo mech spawns.  The drop rate for kernels is 50% and let's say (for the sake of the example) that the chance of the npc dropping a T2 mod is 5%.  They spend 10 minutes traveling to the spawn, some length of time (say 20minutes) fighting NPCs and 10 minutes returning to base.  They've spent 40 minutes on the activity.  The chance of a kernel dropping is random, but because they had to kill 10 bots, they almost certainly got SOME kernels for their effort.   If they repeat the activity several times, the avergae drop rate for kernels per trip will approach 5 .  If they repeat the activity a few times they may even get lucky and get a T2 mod to drop.  Either way, they have something to show for their effort and at worst (only a few kernels) are satisfied that what they did was productive despite their bad luck  and at best (lots of kernels and/or maybe a T2 mod) are ecstatic about their good luck.

On the other hand, our hypothetical player hears in general or corp chat that an infestation mech has been spotted.  They interrupt what they were doing - e.g., drive their sequer/waspish/whatever back to base (say 5 minutes), travel to the spot (10 minutes), fight the mech (5 minutes), and then have to travel back in order to resume what they were doing originally (another 10-15 min).  The chance of a kernel dropping is 50% again, but there is only 1 'coin toss' possible.  The odds are 50% that they have nothing to show for their half hour besides a few k worth of plasma and if so, are pissed off that they just completely wasted a bunch of time.  After 1-2 bad rolls, the next time they hear about a mech being spotted they just continue doing what they were doing because the activity hasn't paid off for them in the past.

My point is that some kind of reasonably consistent pay off has to be re-established for these spawns or they will continue to be ignored by the majority of the player base.  If you think that's OK, it's not my place to tell you how to structure your game.  I just think it's a shame that something you guys worked hard to produce is not being used by most players for lack of interest, where that interest once existed, but no longer does.

@Arga: You just illustrated my point very well.  You will go after them if it's convenient, but won't interrupt something else to hunt them down.  If the drop rate were 100% then you might very well interrupt what you were doing to kill them. I certainly would. After all, the certainty of getting a 500k drop makes the interruption worthwhile because most other actiivities are less productive.  The mech then becomes a disireable target.  It isn't any longer as things stand now

The spawn was due east of TM apha terminal near the coast (just north of the T3 light Pelistal bots that are part of a lev 3 destroy and recover mission you get in TM alpha and west of the permanent solo blue mech spawn which was being farmed at the time)

didnt read the whole wall-of-text, just the introduction.

like arga wrote - the infestation NPCs are there to guard the artifact container - they are not there to be farmed. If theres anything to complain about, then its the unintended feature of the AI ignoring inactive player bots (making those "guards" useless)

those who want to hunt the observer/infestation artifacts for the robots that will spawn, will use a combat bot or got an combat alt on follow. anyone else doing artifact scanning will go for the infestations probably only to get a new chance for a tech-artifact (like me most times)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Just a note, spawns not attacking stationary players is fixed in the patch/expansion, so be ready to move if asap if you hunting GO and infestation caches!

DEV Zoom wrote:

Calio:

Yes. Quite simply, yes.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Calio:

Yes. Infestations aren't worth the time it takes to spawn. They're two to three robots that can be found just about anywhere. If the stashes held something worth collecting not found or found less in other stashes then we'd bother to find them. Right now they're an annoyance.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Calio:

Modules?  I can grind a static spawn for modules and get better results for quantity.  T2-4 Mods are just a frequent as the T0, if you get any mods at all.

NIC?  If I wanted consistent NIC income, the best thing to do would be those tedious transport missions.

So, yeah the SOLE point of chasing down Observers is the kernals.  All other types of sites are worthless, imo.

i like the t3- modules that i get from artifact scanning, also the mk2 cts and stuff that just doesnt drop from npcs (shields, evasives, nexus)

incubator, briochit, noralgis and epriton drops are also nice things

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

briochit, noralgis and epriton drops are also nice things

That stuff drops from Alpha sites?

if it does, its really rare. I've done hundreds of cache's and I dont recall getting any norgalis... but I do get the incubators.

Also, the infestations drop the MK II cpu's, so they are a 'must' spawn for production players.

i didn't do that much, but once it got 10 incubator + some noralgis in one artifact... on ics alpha

Norgalis does grow on alpha too.

In any event, the volumes of rarer mats is so low as to be negligable. that's to say 10,000 epitron dropping in a cache isn't going to make it so you don't have to go to beta, also industrial drops on beta drop titan too, its just so rare that its not worth the discussion.

But I agree that incubators in lvl III caches are an awesome find. smile