Topic: Geoscan result folders discussion

As mentioned in our devblog, we want to introduce folders for the geoscan results.

I'd like to have some feedback about some ideas, as there are many ways to do it, but it is of course you who will be using it and I'm sure you know better than me how you use the results. So I'd rather avoid the "but...but...that's not what I wanted *sadface*" situation smile

As for the representation of the folders, see the market categories, that's pretty much what I have in mind.

So here are the options that I thought of:

1. Completely free folders

Just like the current system, results will get into the root of the list after uploading, but you can freely create folders and move them into those folders.
Plus a sorting dropdown, with scanning time, zone, and ore type options. (with folders being always at the top of the list in alphabetical order)

2. Semi-automatic folders

Results are primarily sorted by zones and secondarily by ore type, as subfolders. (New Virginia -> HDT, Epriton; Attalica -> HDT, Epriton; etc.)
Results get moved in the appropriate folder after uploading, but you can create additional custom folders and move over results into those.

3. Mixed style

There would be 3 tabs, all sorted by time:
By zone - results grouped by location folders (New Virginia folder, Attalica folder, etc)
By type - results grouped by ore type folders (HDT folder, Epriton folder, etc.)
Custom - Lists all results but you can create your own folders and move any result into them

The 3 tabs are using a common result database here, so one result will appear in all three tabs.

Thoughts?
Of course you can also post your own concepts if you think you have something better smile

2 (edited by Annihilator 2011-04-08 16:03:12)

Re: Geoscan result folders discussion

Actually, i dont want folders - i want to have geoscans of the same ore and same zone merge into a single scan result,with an option to "write" files from two coordinates i type in.

thats option 1 with "folders" beeing the merged results

(but hell, i've been blackmailing you with that idea for a year now wink)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

3 (edited by Crepitus 2011-04-08 16:06:42)

I voted for mixed but I'd also really like to see an easier way to share results as well. 

For example, have uploaded results (optionally) automatically added to all squad member's results on the map portion for mining ops.   Maybe also a right click result in scanning window and share with -> agent search box or something.

I'd also REALLY like to see a toggle for auto-deleting EMPTY results; they clutter everything ;/

P.S. great work on fulfilling player requests (minus the kernel nerf ;P)

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Crepitus wrote:

I'd also REALLY like to see a toggle for auto-deleting EMPTY results; they clutter everything ;/

Empty results are kinda relative, since due to the scanning noise you can't be sure if it's really empty, unless your accuracy is 100%.

But as said in the devblog, we'd like to turn the whole system around, and you will be able to see the result right after the scan in some way, so you can then decide whether it's worth uploading it or not.

I vote for completely free folders, with sorting capabilities ( i will be able to sort them by zone, type etc), and with really important buttons: check\uncheck all. As you supposed, i want move and delete for single results and for groups. This will be awesome!

6 (edited by Annihilator 2011-04-14 22:27:21)

please, more advertising of this topic - 22 votes only?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I voted semi-automatic, since I'm always going back to where I found a specific ore on a specific island. Semi-automatic does it all for me.

I personally delete all scans after use. Waypoint the ore location and do a fresh tile scan each time.
One good option would be to disable the map from appearing each time you do a tile scan as it tends to lag the game big time and crash some peoples game.

Agree with The Omen, but there is a generic issue when displaying map I think.

Not too much scans in my geoscanner is a good rule (I use delete a lot).
I bank decent mining spots (after giving the green thingy an intelligible name) to re-use them later.

I like semi-automatic.  But, I think that regardless of personal preference it is the best choice, because completely free requires you to do work to get it to be useful, and not everyone wants to have that level of involvement.  And mixed will be overwhelming for some people, who just want a nice list of results (especially new players potentially). 

Semi-automatic includes the ability to create custom folders, so those who want separate tabs or whatever can do so, those who don't care will have something usable out of the gate, and those like me who just want Area --> Ore will have that.

I would like to be able to have a directory of folders if possible, so that I can organize by Island->District->mineral/plant type

Alright, I've closed down the voting. Not a big number of votes, but the semi-automatic option is clearly in favor, so we'll do that.

Thanks for the input everyone!

13 (edited by Annihilator 2011-05-21 13:55:37)

one major thing that i'm sure other would also appreciate - seperate that geoscan result list from the map window, and merge the terrain overview selection functionality into the list.

no need for two seperate location to do similar things (overlay on map and overlay on terrain)

Semi-Automatic is good, but sorting by island is too crude, sorting by nearest outpost would be better.
If someone is at an outpost they want to see all mining spots near that outpost.

I may be late coming here, but in the sorting options, we should be able to sort by current distance also.

I.E. In in folder New Virginia, sub folder Titan, and click sort=distance so I can see which of the titan fields have I not been to lately (based on scan date which should always be shown) and go check them to see where I need to check.

Mouse Tiger wrote:

Semi-Automatic is good, but sorting by island is too crude, sorting by nearest outpost would be better.
If someone is at an outpost they want to see all mining spots near that outpost.

If someone wants to do that, he can create manual subfolder just to do that.

DEV Zoom wrote:

2. Semi-automatic folders

Results are primarily sorted by zones and secondarily by ore type, as subfolders. (New Virginia -> HDT, Epriton; Attalica -> HDT, Epriton; etc.)
Results get moved in the appropriate folder after uploading, but you can create additional custom folders and move over results into those.

Phi Dunar wrote:

I may be late coming here, but in the sorting options, we should be able to sort by current distance also.

I.E. In in folder New Virginia, sub folder Titan, and click sort=distance so I can see which of the titan fields have I not been to lately (based on scan date which should always be shown) and go check them to see where I need to check.

i wonder if they implement columns to sort the results by date/location/coordinates anyway.
The exsiting ingame interface that has subfolder tree's (player assets, researched items) has no option to sort.

Well I have some management ideas here.

(1)  Have the ability to shift left click over a group of scans then right click and delete.

(2) Right click a scan folder and delete all scans in that folder

(3) Sort area scans by high percentage find to low percentage

(4) Input a skill that not only shows percentage of tile scanned but estimates total units based on skill. ( yes I am dreaming but oh well its idea time)

(5) Having different colors for each scan type I admit would be nice.. green is cool and all but meh

(6) Be able to update scan on tile and possible unit amount mine amount updated.

Just some to start with im sure i got more.

/signed
Esspecially for 1,2
+ Ability to move selected scans with a single action to a folder