1 (edited by XrayIT 2010-11-24 10:55:47)

Topic: Missiles vs other

This topic is related with the LOS but I think it deserve a proper discution.

Even if the LOS is fully corrected, I think missiles are far too powerfull at the moment.
They have no fallof
They do great dammage
They have great range
They can fire over obstacles

I dont want a real nerf for missiles, just some kind of counter part like this one :

At the moment missiles are of the type fire and forget, with a specifique LOS calculation.
while during the same time laser or EM, bullet are not.
It will be reallistic and interresting to make them not totally fire and forget.
let me explain what I'm thinking :

select the target
focus to make it your primary target
and shoot
but if during the travel time you loose the targeting, then it has a very high chance to go loosing itself.

it will conter part a little, the big advantage of being able to shoot over and the ability of the missiles to follow you whatever happen.
because currently they can shoot anyone from behind "add an object here" and retreat or stand while not being worried even if you try to avoid to be hit during the course of the missile.

NO it's not a rage post wink

Re: Missiles vs other

XrayIT wrote:

At the moment missiles are of the type fire and forget, with a specifique LOS calculation.
while during the same time laser or EM, bullet are not.
It will be reallistic and interresting to make them not totally fire and forget.
let me explain what I'm thinking :

Like in 99% of any MMO i know, the LoS for Missiles is calculated at the moment they are fired. If the target moves into cover AFTER that, the missile will still hit. At this point, missiles dont have any advantage over Turrets.

Actually, the missiles having a slight disadvantage because their DAMAGE is dealt later, and can be absorbed by a shield that was activated After launch.

Projectile weapons do instant damage, but got a straight line LoS, where the Missiles having an arc LoS calculation.

When you say, Missiles got great range, than that is only half true:
Missiles having great range on cheap equip and low tech, but it doesnt expand whith better launchers.
Lasers and EM guns on the other side, get the higher ranges on expensive equipment only.

so, you think the current unbalance is only due to the LOS calculation for other weapons ?
In fact the arc LOS for missile is way too permissive and allow firing from unprobable places. while other weapons can't fire even with a clear LOS and currently we can't use our range advantage.

however, I think that others mecanisms to improve the gameplay or add strategy to the game can be considered

long range for Lasers and EM guns .. what is this good for when almost all terrain is somewhat curved? The only area where you can make good use of the guns range advantage are the beaches. And don't forget that the long range guns have lower damage than their short versions.

Add some automatic missle counter measure like miniguns, chaff or some small counter missles. They should have a very short range, a high fire rate, a very high cpu usage, low accumulator usage, and a high failure chance which could be improved by a new extension.

And if a missle is distracted/destroyed it should explode before it hits your bot.

I'd like to have some "missiles are useless" people in here smile

On a slightly more serious note, if one half is saying that missiles are the weakest weapon and the other half is saying that they are too powerful... I think that indicates that it's just right.

DEV Zoom wrote:

On a slightly more serious note, if one half is saying that missiles are the weakest weapon and the other half is saying that they are too powerful... I think that indicates that it's just right.

Missiles are useless.

Well.. even though i do not mean that, i hope it qualifies me as a "missiles are usless" person, and as such allows me to be of assistance. smile

I do not believe that missiles have a problem. Not from what i have seen so far. They are a decent weapon, but nowhere near best.

- They have average range: longer than magnetics, but shorter than lasers from what i have seen.
- They have maybe the lowest damage over time of all the weapons.
- Guns require clear LOS when firing and so do missiles. Except that you do not realize that, as there is a delay between the firing of the launchers and the actual damage. If you fire your missiles while the target is "hidden", then the missiles will hit the obstacle even if the target moves out from behind it in the meantime.
- Delayed damage means that the target has time to activate countermeasures, like shields, resist modules and the like..

The big advantage of missiles right now is that it is less effected by the LOS bugs. Other than that, it is inferior to most direct damage weapons, especially so in PvP.

DEV Zoom wrote:

ups, i just realized how negative my previous post sounds .. wasn't meant to be that way wink

Your point is why I didn't post the counter measure in the suggestions forum when I had the idea. First we need to see how it works out once the LOS problem is fixed.

8 (edited by XrayIT 2010-11-24 16:54:25)

I haven't really say that missiles are too powerfull (or too weak).

but currently there are still balance issue.
in theory the difference betwen the different weapons are good and well balanced, but in practice it's not.
direct los weapons (and mainly laser) can' t really use their advantages with the current LOS calculation or the current terrain.

so, if we (and I mean the DEV team wink ) can really solve the LOS problem good for me.
but if we can't really find a proper solution, then maybe we can think about other LOS, dammage,... calculation for missiles (and other weapons too) like not Fire&Forget, counter mesure,...

or maybe I haven't tested enough (high end equipement, extension,...).

edit : for DEV ZOOM
I don't think that half are saying that missiles are too weak, cause more than half of the server are missiles users (if I'm not wrong).

and if you have an advantge in a game don't you try to protect it ?

or maybe the 2 groups are not pointing the same problem wink

So when you are talking about the LOS problem, are you talking about the current state, after yesterday's fix?

DEV Zoom wrote:

So when you are talking about the LOS problem, are you talking about the current state, after yesterday's fix?

It is better but direct damage weapons still have problems, you can see your target and still hit the ground, while with missiles it works perfectly even over small hills.

11 (edited by Styx 2010-11-24 17:31:51)

DEV Zoom wrote:

I could quite easily put together a well worded post with plenty of facts as to why missiles have been nerfed too much. However why would I bother when Alf seems to change things at the drop of a hat not listening to any logical reason but instead the mass whiners on the forum and his experiences of very small scale PvP. So really, why should I bother?

Benos wrote:

It is better but direct damage weapons still have problems, you can see your target and still hit the ground, while with missiles it works perfectly even over small hills.

That can be deceiving though, since most of the time you are observing the terrain from above, not aware of the slight bumps on the terrain.

Please don't forget that the missile faction is one of the slowest bots/mechs.

I don't think missiles are over powered or even under powered.

But at times it does suck to do the lowest dps and the slowest in the game at the same time.

With that said though, I think the waspish is the best assault bot in the game.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

14 (edited by Michael J Caboose 2010-11-24 18:38:22)

DEV Zoom wrote:

That can be deceiving though, since most of the time you are observing the terrain from above, not aware of the slight bumps on the terrain.

thats a matter of the plain shading for 75% of the playtime (night, and around midday)
without propper shadows, its hard to see a bump...
and those with deactivated shadows its 100% of the time.

since this thread tend to turn around the LOS problem merge it with the other thread please.

Yes I'm speaking about the LOS problem after the 23/11/2010 patch.
as I've said, even when you observe the terrain from the lowest point of view (max zoom in and from behind the bot) and you have a clear LOS (or you are seeing most of your target) you still hit the ground or invisible wall.

I don't want a missiles nerf, I want a more balanced game.
missiles are not overpowered by themself, but the addition of small advantages and game bug, make them, at this moment, too unbalanced.

again, maybe I haven't tested enough.

XrayIT please do a screenshot of problematic LOS situations the next time you see them if you can please.

To counter what the OP said:

- Missiles have no falloff, therefore their range isnt as high as others can get.
- They only do spike damage at best.  Missiles actually have lowest DPS of any type.
- They only have good range on bots.  With mechs the range is worst.

The LOS is the problem here, not the balance of weapons.  If the Devs start balancing the game based on the buggy LOS, then once they finally fix the LOS they'll have another balancing issue to deal with again.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

EM guns out spike missiles, lololol.

Magendart ammo KABLAM!

Siddy wrote:

EM guns out spike missiles, lololol.

Magendart ammo KABLAM!

Yeah true..... I just wish missiles had some sort of damage use....

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

I've made screenshots, try to post them ASAP.

again IF we can't found a proper solution to the LOS problem, then we have to find other mechanisms to balanced the game, mechanisms applied to missiles and other weapons.

plz merged the 2 topics, thx

DEV Zoom wrote:

As you wish. I gave up giving a damn about missiles a little before early launch. And after using them for a year and a half in closed and open beta, found they royally sucked in 90% of all pvp and 100% of all pve. In my opinion they aren't even a viable option currently for the game. I'm glad I switched to one of the better choices at launch, and have not looked back. At least I now fill a role in pvp other than bait.

Even so, I will always have fond memories of the pre-doomed-nerf missiles and their awesome anti-small bot role.

Neoxx wrote:

To counter what the OP said:

- Missiles have no falloff, therefore their range isnt as high as others can get.
- They only do spike damage at best.  Missiles actually have lowest DPS of any type.
- They only have good range on bots.  With mechs the range is worst.

The LOS is the problem here, not the balance of weapons.  If the Devs start balancing the game based on the buggy LOS, then once they finally fix the LOS they'll have another balancing issue to deal with again.

this is totally true, its only on the light/assualts you notice a range difference, otherwise they have the shortest range, and only do burst dmg[making them low dps]. a gropho all maxed out and stuff is looking at pushing 750m if its lucky, but a seth as 1km+ with its laser and a mesmer etc.. is looking at 800+m. if you want a gropho to fire that far you need range boosters on sensor amps too because it can target that far, and they you nerf the dmg to the point that actually you arent even an annoyance to the players you are shooting at.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

I am completely new to the game

But am i right in guessing lasers don't require you to buy constant ammo unlike missiles?

all weapons need ammo , em = slugs , missiles = compact [short range] and Ballistics[long range] and lasers = energy cells [otherwise they would need more ap usage then they already do]

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

fuzion wrote:

I am completely new to the game

But am i right in guessing lasers don't require you to buy constant ammo unlike missiles?

No, they do.