Topic: Pioneers in this new world

There are games and there are hobby games.

Back before games were digital, it was easy to tell the difference between a regular game and a hobby game. When you opened up the game of "Monopoly" it took just a few minutes to read the directions and you were off and playing. Then there was that wierd neighbor guy with the table set up in his garage with 100's of little cardbord squares on a huge painted grid. 30 mins in and out for "Monopoly" where that other guy barely even sorted out the infantry pieces in that amount of time.

Nia is much more of that hobby game of the past then of the rainy day distraction board game.

We are pioneers in this new world, nia. And unlike those games in the garage, this one doesn't need to be put away, doesn't get upset by the dog, and is open to players across the world not just across the street.

We are pioneers, so we endure the hardships, we struggle and scrape to gain a foothold. Everything we do, in some way, matters. Hobby games are fun, but they are also demanding. Hobbies are defined by the value of the personal achievement you recieve from it, not by any tangilble reward. Hobby games are the same, the point isn't to just stack the little cardboard pieces on the other side of the map, its the process of getting them there that makes the game.

We are pioneers, those that follow will reap the benefit of our work without acknowledgement. We toil for the satisfaction of the game, not for the game itself. Our goals are our own and achieving them is the reward.

We. Are. Pioneers.

Re: Pioneers in this new world

Nice post, I quite enjoyed reading it. You said pioneers 4 times...

Excellent post!!!!!

That is just the problem with the game with some people, they want instant gratification, instant end game top dog, BS

Those who stay to see the world grow, can actually have some input to what happens to the world of Nia.  It's what separates the theme park from the sand box, from expanding your vision or  playing through tunnel vision. Right down to following what is normal or throwing it all out and being different.

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

Nice one

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

Nice post, I quite enjoyed reading it. You said pioneers 4 times...

smile its such a fun word though

nice post smile
thou not always pioneers discover/develop something that will last....hope this is not one of such cases neutral

Necroing this topic, was suprised to see it only four pages back. Anyone still hanging around the forums, but cant seem to find that reason to log on, id reccomend trying it again. Lots of changes these last 3 months. If you need someone to hang with look me up in game.

8 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-06-10 18:48:44)

Stop recruiting in General Discussion.

Not recruiting, im offering fun things to do, for anyone... Even you glimpsey. Hoping to boost morale a little and i think arga had it right with this post.

I was talking with a friend about 5 years ago about EVE and how at that time I had a hard time getting "into" the game.. the one thing he said to me that got me thinking was "I treat EVE like a hobby, not a game"  when I started looking at EVE that way I started to really like the game a lot.  I feel the exact same way about Perpetuum, treat it like a hobby and you'll love it.

Good post op!

Nice post. It brings back memories.  I'm gonna give away my age, but I still remember when Blitzkrieg II first came out (and I played it then).  Only it wasn't the garage, it was the dining room table and it wasn't the dog messing things up the counters, it was my mother.

But, you're quite right about the hobby point. I played EVE for 5 years from launch and hope to be with this one for as long.