Topic: Perpetuum: The game that you pay to play but pays you not to?

What's the point of continuing to pay a subscription for something that increasingly discourages you from playing the game and really just leaves you waiting around to be stronger?

I'm near the end of my 2nd week, of a 2x 90 day subscription.  As far as I can tell I have 0 incentive to play the game whatsoever until I actually have the EP to compete in any way in what is ostensibly a pvp game.

Running transport, geoscanning and logging in to my 2nd job to mine for cash to instantly lose in pvp is getting tedious fast.  The bottom line is there are only 2 kinds of very limited pvp here, roaming pvp which requires ridiculous speeds and which you're excluded from with anything less than navigation 10 and lightweight frames at t3 or t4 with ewar bots, and intrusion events which are a joke of random excruciatingly poorly timed mexican stand offs and no real fighting.

There are other issues, like extremely poor latency and random disconnections since the servers are in budapest but the majority of players are not, a fairly high rate of client crashes, etc.  But the main one to me seems like a.) very slow skill gain rate which puts your early access people on insanely high ground b.) the fact that pvp is limited to islands completely dominated by huge corps who sit by the handful of teleports and make it impossible for anything to be done casually.  You're either in the zerg (blob, whatever) or you're dead in seconds.

What are the solutions?  I'm not claiming to have all the answers, but this game was sitting on 200 people constantly online the first week I played and then Rift came out and it dropped to like 100-130 (and I played Rift in the last phase of open beta, it's not that good) or less. 

Reading some of the older posts on mmorpg.com (where I heard of the game myself) it looks like the game had 9k subs then 4k subs now this.  You guys need to do something fast, and I don't think treasure hunting or the paint wearing off mechs is going to cut it and frankly with so few people playing doubling the land mass is going to hurt not help. 

There is another long thread by someone else in one of these other forums saying this is nothing but a bunch of fast metal spiders and doesn't live up to the trailer video at all and that's correct, I heard someone else in game say the game is more like Mars rover online than Mechwarrior + Eve which is how it's billed; that's also correct.  Please make the game more accessible and more like the trailer video and you will have a huge success on your hands, as it stands this ship is mostly underwater already.

Re: Perpetuum: The game that you pay to play but pays you not to?

I disagree with regards to doubling the land mass.

It's more room for new people to inhabit...

They are hoping that the promise of having a little place on the map that you don't see anyone else for days on end will give people the feeling that they have some place to call home... and then more people will come to the game to get their own little piece of home.

I agree on the land mass also but they can add as much land as they want untill corps brake ties and stop forming alliances that blue/green 80% of the servers active corps nothing will change

There is always something that you can get on with. Sure maybe because im freelance i have more to do, but you could be collecting Materials:
Modules and general loot for upgrades, breakdown into commidties for yourself/corp, kernels to help lesser researched indy mates/selling kernels for cash for youself/corp.

Doing any type of assignment to build relation/for discounts on facility usage etc...

As you have only been going for 14 days, all of these are things that are potentially very viable as you will have areas for improvement in them. Even Pure combat chars running assignments is viable because it reduces costs to repairs or other things that you might potentially want to use for moving things about or being useful.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

GLiMPSE wrote:

I disagree with regards to doubling the land mass.

It's more room for new people to inhabit...

They are hoping that the promise of having a little place on the map that you don't see anyone else for days on end will give people the feeling that they have some place to call home... and then more people will come to the game to get their own little piece of home.

Missed this before but i think this is perfect idea. because people like to 'own' or feel like they have a home [look at stEVE for ex. not that i like to mention that, but low/nullsec and wormhole space, all places even solo players have tried to 'call home'] and if this gives players that sense of belonging in Nia i think tis a good thing, as people fight to keep what they 'own' or at least try to keep it.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS