1 (edited by Shadeless 2011-02-10 10:19:21)

Topic: Arena

(credit goes to Balfizar)

Give us an Arena, with ranking, 1 ranking for light bots, 1 for assaults 1 for mechs, 1 for mixed. Make it 1v1, 2v2, etc whatever, i am sure u can think up something nice. Also training arena where people can get cheap bot to practice pvp would be nice. (especialy for small corps)

Re: Arena

I think the arena idea might be good, would be sweet to get some duels going in game 1 v 1 or 2 v 2, maybe make everybody go in with just T1 stuff, etc. Maybe if you don't want to lose your bot when you give up or something you must have a shield equuiped and if you turn it on it means enough and fight is over? Anything to get some more 1v1 pvp going would be great

As it stand small corp have nothing to do in pvp but get in a 4-6 man gang go to a beta island then get *** by twice there numbers........so to give the smaller corps/solo players a chance to have some fun in this blob u then u blob me world a arena would be awsome....u have to wager nic before u join fight winner gets the nic and keeps his bot top player at the end of a week also gets a prize then next week it restarts u can also assign bots point for 2v2 fight and above u can only use so many bot types ect

Shadeless, thats a total fail on all points.

1. Oh my god! Arenas dont have anything to do with pvp except being an artificial element in a sandbox game breaking every rule its setting itself right now.

Other then that: This isnt a skill based game except for preparation and tactics. An arena wouldnt make sense at all.

2. The thing you propose contradicts the game basic rules.

3. They have to do this now because marketing/advertising on the main markets starts.

4. No matter how you adjust interference - it will still always favour the bigger group.

Redline wrote:

Shadeless, thats a total fail on all points.
1. Oh my god! Arenas dont have anything to do with pvp except being an artificial element in a sandbox game breaking every rule its setting itself right now.
Other then that: This isnt a skill based game except for preparation and tactics. An arena wouldnt make sense at all.
2. The thing you propose contradicts the game basic rules.
3. They have to do this now because marketing/advertising on the main markets starts.
4. No matter how you adjust interference - it will still always favour the bigger group.

So your saying there's no Arenas in real life?
Like people don't go play games against each other in an arena?

In the real world I could build an arena and charge people fees to enter into a tournament where they could fight remote control robots, or each other, shoot each other with paintball guns, or play some sport or whatever.  But I can’t code new *** in this game, so I can’t build one, to start such a business, and this isn’t real life, so even if I could, I couldn’t be around constantly to run/organize it, because I have to do things in real life.
So what exactly is so "rule breaking" about this idea

The whole “it’s not real/not immersive” argument against things in a video game mmos, is so dumb.  Yes you can try to keep it sandboxy, but it’s not real life, people need things to keep them interested in the game, that’s what’s important, that’s what keeps people playing.  In real life when you get bored with something, you find something else to do, and that’s what people are starting to do with this game too.

I'm not really sure how you think it's "not a skill based game" except "preparation & tactics" as you say. That's a self defeating statement if I ever heard one.
Doesn’t it take practice and "skill" to develop tactics? You don't just theory craft a new tactic and then magically employ it and win/lose.  It takes practice/organization, all of which develop your "skills".
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't actually done much successful pvping.

I think this is a fabulous idea, and one I’ve heard talked about and received well by a lot of people.  As of now, there is literally nothing to do in game most of the time if your not into mining/industry, aside from roam around and look for *** to kill, maybe find a fight, and then get blobbed at which point it’s time to go spin bots in station until another opportunity arises, or you get bored and go play something else.

A structured pvp tournament arena, with entrance fees that partially go toward a prize for winners would be incredible.  They did it in that other sandbox game (Allaince Tournament anyone?) and it was awesome fun, and people loves it, only problem was they only did it every year or whatever.  It would be incredible to be able to go to an arena for evened out pvp action, and I bet tons of people would be up for it, even people who don’t go out to the betas looking for a fight.

I don't really see how creating an arena type pvp offering would be something that would ruin the game, i think it would be a great way to develop skills in fighting, and saying that this game is not about skills is just stupid, every time i win or especially when i lose in a fight, i learn something, and more chances to learn while on 1v1 would be great.

Maybe its too much of a mainstream idea for some of the Hipster PvPers like Redline but i really believe this should be created, and if the devs don't organize it, we could setup unofficial duels with defenders and certain spots picked out, then the Hipsters could come and try the ruin the party if they wanted to! How can it get less mainstream than that?

the unoffical in game thing has been tried and it doesn't work
the general rule is if someone can greif they will regardless of what everyone else thinks

Yea figured as much, but still, would be great fun if a whole alliance backed it at peak hours, full defense, maybe invite people into their islands as a form of recruitment/get to know us better type thing, who knows? Would be great fun to see

Arena is an easy answer for a more complex problem. The game hardly meets its own criteria yet and an anrena will push it away even further. Im not gonna explain basic design patterns, use you head.

arena will mean u can do small scale pvp against an equal force. We need more content then just roam around islands for kills. An arena certainly would open pvp for many players.

The 3 big corps could sponser this arena so their forces can gain more combat expirience. And to have some fun when they have time off.

In a open world pvp game putting in an arena is like trying to stick a block in a round hole.

my 2 nic.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

1on1 pvp is mostly determined by equipment/bot type/extensions in my experience, there isn't that much to it as far as gameplay goes.

If it's group based you have the same problem, a group of yellow bots beats a group of blue bots etc.  Plus how do you handle equipment loss and all the rest.  Tournaments I can get behind but not some automated battleground system that tries to homogenize equipment/bots.

Yes, its a cheap trick for bored people and will do more harm then good. No news.

while i would like to have a training enviroment to test out my stuff without losing it,

i remember from other games, that "Arenas" need more effort to work then it looks like.
And i dont want to have any of the few coder-DEVs working on something like that, while there are many many other construction sites that need much more attention.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

How arena will fit in the background story?

I agree that things like battlegrounds can destroy a game, making it easy and boring in the long run. But an arena is a different thing all together, creating a form of dueling system might be a better way to go around doing this, so that people can challenge other people in alpha, and therefore not be bothered by people looking in. I just feel that 1 on 1 pvp is a rare and much sought after aspect of this game, and a way to make it more available would only help people to get better at fighting, and also to see what their weaknesses are, etc.

I still think that it would be better if Devs would just stay ouot of it and that the alliances should host arena events, etc. on their islands. Would be awesome and very much fun

Sure - when the game is more complete in all aspects and then then basis gets overhauled to support tactical/partial targeting a mech and stuff - when theres fluff and housings - when theer is a political system - and when there is a restricted pvp zone - and more complex crafting system - then theres room for an arena type thbngy which would be a nice addition.

Yea i guess so, other things should come first, but restricted pvp areas? I think not smile

i think the point you are missing is that there are people in the game who are bored because there options are either

-kill miners and scouts

-farm kernels

- play world of tanks

so i dont see how giving people something to do effects the game negatively at all

this issues has been hot debate in sandbox type pvp games and have yet to see a solution that works

ffs neox tried to get a tournament going not that long ago but it fell over only because no one trusts anyone else enough to think it work without greifing

all i want to see is a way to add a place i can go to have a fight or 2 , loose some bots for the insurance and play with some people who also want to enjoy the game without having to invest my life into it

im still going to camp moyar , harvest m2s's plants , ignore norpoop and mine epi at hillmanoc the only difference is i can cn play perp while i mine instead of playing tanks

- it should be separated pvp instance
- you should be able to die and resurrect inside without any losses
- there should be places to get ammo and energy, with cooldown ofc
- everything that happens inside shouldn't affect anything outside - how did u came, so should you leave
- call it like VR robot testing place
- ????
- PROFIT!!!

Neocron Neofrag FTW ^^

Have a productive day, Runner

Line wrote:

- it should be separated pvp instance
- you should be able to die and resurrect inside without any losses
- there should be places to get ammo and energy, with cooldown ofc
- everything that happens inside shouldn't affect anything outside - how did u came, so should you leave
- call it like VR robot testing place
- ????
- PROFIT!!!

Neocron Neofrag FTW ^^

im not a fan of no losses i think you should still gamble your bot

the only way id see a no loss arena working is if you limit gear to just standard including ammo

22 (edited by Redline 2011-02-11 12:45:29)

Delita Hyral wrote:

Yea i guess so, other things should come first, but restricted pvp areas? I think not smile

restricted was the wrong term - a third zone where pvp is enabled but is influenced by a political system thus reflecting actions of players coming from alpha and beta meeting in that zone.

edit: the arena currently would empty the game world even more as it would suck up players.

no losses system will attract more newbies to arena. after a couple of fights they will feel brave enough to get in one real

Have a productive day, Runner

There are no real fights atm - we fight over nothing - so its time to get real purpose in for pvp - be its competitive sport like POS or ganking areas. But arenas? Hell no.

Yea the more i think about it the less i like the idea for Dev Made arena, but still, my want and need for Player run pvp tournaments or "Medieval Times" type games run and controlled by Corps or alliances grows.

How awesome would it be for an alliance to say "On "this day" and at "this hour" we will be hosting a pvp arena type situation on our island, the boundries will be set, and you will be protected by heavy mechs and mechs stationed all around the island! Come one, come all to win the grand prize! A Heavy mech of your choice!!!"

Ah, one can dream....