Topic: Let's talk about grouping with friends

So far in this game I do not see a need to be a in a group with friends. It seems like the assign squad thing is a joke and you can make more loot and better rep doing things on your own. Can anyone confirm what happens when you group up as I want to play this game with friends and so far it seems like it is not setup that way.

Re: Let's talk about grouping with friends

Is accepting an assignment as a squad fixed yet?  It needs to be fixed ASAP.  Also, accepting as a squad should allow the squad to see what is targeted, etc by others.

Zabulon wrote:

Is accepting an assignment as a squad fixed yet?  It needs to be fixed ASAP.  Also, accepting as a squad should allow the squad to see what is targeted, etc by others.

I had no idea it was broken? Why would they put out a game that has an essential community building bug?

According to a GM that was talking before wipe (forget who, and it may not be the same now) Accepting as squad only shares the reward, not amount of kills, etc.
I would not mind this if a group got a quest to kill 10 bots, then you go out and kill 10 for the squad, or even having to kill ten per person in the squad, but it ends up needing much more kills.
Before wipe i was in a squad of 2, we had to kill around 30 for each of us to get ten each, it was because the other person was a combat build, i was a merchant build with minimal weap skills. if they tagged it first or did more damage (not sure which) i would not get credit for the kill.

As it is it is pretty useless and yes, far as i can tell means it is better to fight solo than in a group.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

yup, grouping is more trouble then its worth at the moment, as far as assignments go.

With the way that tagging works now this isn't really a issue anymore, just make sure who ever picked up the assignment tags them first, or you both take the assignment and keep seperate targets. Though it would be nice if everyone got the assignment and all kills in squad counted. Anyway with some simple tactics it works well now. In fact if you would of paid attention before the change you wouldn't of needlessly killed 30 extra... kills counted for who ever got the last hit. Now just let them tag and then open fire.

Hadouken wrote:

yup, grouping is more trouble then its worth at the moment, as far as assignments go.

We came to the same conclusion. At this point grouping is pointless.

Nope not pointless if you know how to work it. Not to mention we can take down bigger and better things together so... pointless no.

I cant really comment on this as I am only on level 1 missions and I hope the don't represent how difficult they later pve content is . But I am really hoping there will be more reasons to group in pve later on. Grouping makes the grind tolerable and quick so you can get back to the real fun of shooting each others internet robots.

I want big robot fortresses to invade!!!

"False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade."

Domono wrote:

Nope not pointless if you know how to work it. Not to mention we can take down bigger and better things together so... pointless no.

What the OP is trying to point out is that the advantages of grouping are not enough to overcome the hassle involved.

Unless they are given really clear advantages to grouping up, people tend to go solo. Game mechanics should encourage grouping, because this is an MMO.

Perp hasn't quite got the balance right.

11 (edited by Auspex 2010-11-23 00:27:48)

I have found creating a squad is most helpful when trading a lot with your friends (the squad window keeps a nice list where you can initiate a trade from).

It is also helpful for quick credit transfers

If you were able to see group member's targets... right there is enough to make grouping worth it.

while grouping is probably not so good for combat missions, its good for any other aspect of the game...

grouping is very usefull, maybe not for assignement (not for the lower lvl).
but in group, you can take down more or greater targets to be more efficient

We missing local or overhead bubbles chat a lot.
How you can chat and group with ppl around you, if chatting to them is so complicated that many players even do not see it!?

Aslo, if it's MMORPG then group content should definetly exist. So far, running arond New Virginia isle I saw more empty space then robots to fight.

Tell the wolves that working as a pack isn't as good as solo. Bounty hunter assignments are a very small part of the game.

Working as a group can drastically increase your productivity, profit and fun factor.

Try building up a respectable pile of higher end bots by yourself. It'll take ages. With friends, not long at all.

Bartlebe wrote:

Working as a group can drastically increase your productivity, profit and fun factor.

Try building up a respectable pile of higher end bots by yourself. It'll take ages. With friends, not long at all.

If you accept missions as squad, it actually takes longer to gather since it shares the reward with everyone in the squad, that was the point of the thread, that there is no incentive to being in a group other than the "fun-factor". I still group when friends are about, but "accept as squad" on missions is plain useless.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

18 (edited by Bartlebe 2010-11-25 04:17:54)

Grouping in Eve worked the exact same way. Might not be as profitable but its safer and easier. Also, it can be a way to tackle harder missions or groups than you could tackle normally. Or do things more efficiently with hauling? Did Eve do it differently?

It would be nice to see some complexes or big AI bases people could attack. Those would be fun.

Grouping is one of the cornerstones of MMO gameplay and what folks play online for.  I agree with OP they need to continue to improve this aspect of the game.  It may not be "hard" to alternate tagging the npc's but it is a bit tedious and serves no purpose if you are grouped, win-win to change it so all squad kills count towards assignment objective.

Zhyntil wrote:
Bartlebe wrote:

If you accept missions as squad, it actually takes longer to gather since it shares the reward with everyone in the squad, that was the point of the thread, that there is no incentive to being in a group other than the "fun-factor". I still group when friends are about, but "accept as squad" on missions is plain useless.

Apparently your teamwork is poor then. This issue always seems to come up in other games I don't care how you look at it 2 people can blow stuff up faster than 1 comparable person. If you split the reward in 2 but it takes half the time guess what.... your going just as fast!!! OMG!!! Now granted it helps if you take more than one assignment at a time to keep things rolling so you aren't running back to the terminal constantly.

21 (edited by CenDre 2010-11-25 19:58:41)

My impression of squad missions

Nic splits equal parts to all members.
mission rewards like ammo do not split at all only the person accepting the mission gets them.

If everyone in the group takes missions for the squad it all equals out. the only advantage of doing missions as a groups is the time factor. YOU can run more missions burn more ammo than you could alone, which means more nic in a shorter time.

At Asintec there are 3 destroy/recovery missions close to the terminal and each other. you can run all 3 in a group of 2 in about 15 min. If both of you take them as squad you are getting the same reward as you would alone but 1/2 the time. So you are making 2x the nic and ammo rewards.

22 (edited by Zhyntil 2010-11-25 22:29:45)

CenDre wrote:

My impression of squad missions

Nic splits equal parts to all members.
mission rewards like ammo do not split at all only the person accepting the mission gets them.

If everyone in the group takes missions for the squad it all equals out. the only advantage of doing missions as a groups is the time factor. YOU can run more missions burn more ammo than you could alone, which means more nic in a shorter time.

At Asintec there are 3 destroy/recovery missions close to the terminal and each other. you can run all 3 in a group of 2 in about 15 min. If both of you take them as squad you are getting the same reward as you would alone but 1/2 the time. So you are making 2x the nic and ammo rewards.

Not exactly, you each need to get kill credit for the full amount of kills in the quest, which means each of you have to tag and kill ten kills each for a ten kill mission, total of twenty for 2 people, thirty for 3 etc. It would take you the same amount of time or longer to run them together.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

with the new squad changes, all players in the squad tagging[dmging] a single mob get credit for the kill now.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Steeldragonz wrote:

with the new squad changes, all players in the squad tagging[dmging] a single mob get credit for the kill now.

Ah, thank you. I did not know they had changed it, great news!

Who the $#@% is stEvE?