1 (edited by Elzana Tori Varess 2011-02-02 15:29:55)

Topic: Math Clarification?

Could I get some clarification on the way math is calculated in PO? I've come across a strange case today while trying to get my Mech cap-stable.

Termis has a base accumulator recharge time of 300 seconds.

I have equipped a standard accumulator recharge for a bonus of -10% off recharge time.

I also have three levels of Energy Management, which is another bonus of 9% off recharge time.

My math works this out as 300 * 0.81 = 243.

My equip screen tells me the time is 245.

My robot info screen, taking into account skills and stuff, tells me it's 246.

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason either the accumulator recharge bonus or the Energy Management bonus is being taken off after the other one, and not applied to the base recharge rate.

My math on that is 300 * 0.91 = 273 * 0.90 = 245.7

Is this working as intended? If so it might be worth clearing up in either the skill or the item description that the modifer applies after the other (so if the item modifier applies after skill modifiers, mention it in the item description) to help avoid any future confusion.

And yes, it matters! At 243 my cap is stable. At 245 or 246 it isn't wink

2 (edited by Seridur 2011-02-02 15:39:24)

Re: Math Clarification?

Bonuses from different sources don't add up, so  they are working as in your second calculation. This way if you could get 25%  recharge time reduction from  4 different sources you wouldn't get instant recharge, but  1 - 0,75*0,75*0,75*0,75= 68,3% reduction.

(there are good things from this method btw, for example range extenders don't just give 10% bonus to the base range, but to your skill bouns to range too)

3 (edited by Seridur 2011-02-02 16:11:27)

just counted that with max skills and prototype weapon tunings you would be able to get 95% cycle time reduction for weapons if it worked like you thought. That's 20 times dps increase smile

Hungarian math.

Siddy wrote:

Hungarian math.

This is correct -- they use Hungarian Math.

http://www.budapestsemesters.com/

Good courses on Hungarian Math are offered here.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/1672/#p1672
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … s-x1bonus/

forum search ftw!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The latter part of my post still stands, in that it would be useful to have an in-game description or explanation of this to stop you from having to go search and then post in every one of these threads, yes? wink

is that a request? then add it to the same request in the request forum wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

*moved to Questions & Answers*

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

I have 5 in energy management and my Termis (without any equip) recharge time is 255 sec. As far as I understand it must be 300 / (1 + 0.03 * 5) = 260 sec. How to calculate recharge time correctly?

While I personally don't know whether this is the formula we use, 300 * (1 - 0.03 * 5) equals exactly 255 smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

While I personally don't know whether this is the formula we use, 300 * (1 - 0.03 * 5) equals exactly 255 smile

Hungarian Math™ at it's finest...

DEV Zoom wrote:

How can I determine which formula to use for different stats? Recognizer says that you should use x/(1+bonus) for cycle time calculation (and it works - http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … s-x1bonus/) but for accumulator recharge time I have to use other formula...

there are only those two... so its not that hard to figure out.

things like cycle time have the dimishing returns formula applied,
accumulator recharge is one of the few that has the linear formula applied.

Zoom and Annihilator, thanks for the answers.