Topic: Are we ever going to get an LOS fix?

Closed Beta
Open Beta

Thats the time you had to fix this problem.
Dont make players respec to missiles, or quit playing cuse of the broken combat system.

2 (edited by Bartlebe 2010-11-21 15:38:13)

Re: Are we ever going to get an LOS fix?

I like the idea of LOS. I wish they could find a way to make it work.

Its one of the things that makes this game stand out so starkly against that other similar MMO that shall not be named.

LoS is even more b0rkked since closed beta.

For the first time in history the low ground now provides the most tactical advantage.

since they seems to have an big problem with this maybe they atleast could ad one 'los' for the lower guns and one for the upper? so not all guns shoot in the ground when the upper ones clearly should be able to hit.
bah i dont know. but im so tired of this.

Priority #1

Make it way more forgiving, whether its setting the calculated height higher or whatever is feasible, but once pvp starts happening more frequently, you are going to have a 2/3rds of your player base raging at you.

well if they cant make the weapons work in this terrain then we need to change the terrain. make it all flat!!   then everyone can kite the npc 'since we cant tank them anyway'

big_smile

The terrain actually needs to be sloped. Right now its like its made of rectangles.

Weapon X wrote:

The terrain actually needs to be sloped. Right now its like its made of rectangles.

I think that the rectangular terrain is necessary for the terraforming, but we can have both.  LOS check should be done on a sloped version of the terrain, i.e. the one you see in the client.  That will slow their calculations down a lot, I suspect.  They are going to have to figure that one out.

It may mean that they need better/more hardware on the server end.  That means capital.  Hopefully our subscription money is earmarked for this.  Then the game can truly grow.

Or, perhaps, it is something entirely different holding things up.

I think your right but they shouldn't be perfect rectangles, more like trapezoids. This may be a limitation of their world builder or something.

Vorgrim Scout wrote:

Priority #1

player base raging at you.

why ? from a logical point of view even if is bad for you when "attack" but is bad for ur "defense". Or you are telling me that ppl are so ....(i dont going to say stupid because that can be rude) and they dont understand that los affect their enemy

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” – Elbert Hubbard

It can still be calculated by the cubes, if only the LOS cubes were calculated 1 level lower than the actual ground.  Basically, the edge of the cubes would hopefully rest near or below the terrain level in most cases except for extreme slopes.

Right now the problem is its like we're fighting on stairs that are raised above the ground level, so if it touches the end of those stairs, it wont hit.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

They shouldn't have released til they fixed it. ~60% of the server is missiles because of it. I was seriously considering lasers. With the terrible LOS, it's not worth putting up with. Hope they fix it on the 23rd.

I agree get this fixed, I'm sick of shooting invisible walls.

I think its fun, adds a temporary additional strategic layer to combat. good luck trying to find a good way to get behind your enemies while also being down hill, avoiding spawns, and being on the correct side of your objective lol. fun for now at least...

easiest way i can think to fix this would be to raise the height of the bots a bit.

DeadTwin Mk0 wrote:

I think its fun, adds a temporary additional strategic layer to combat. good luck trying to find a good way to get behind your enemies while also being down hill, avoiding spawns, and being on the correct side of your objective lol. fun for now at least...

If we follow this concept, then let's add a bunch of random, illogical mechanics that render basic knowledge about how the world works useless.

CenDre wrote:

easiest way i can think to fix this would be to raise the height of the bots a bit.

there is no easy way. and raising the hight of the bots would change anything (the LoS calculation for small bots is way above their heads already.

19 (edited by Dawth 2010-11-28 15:52:24)

I didn't play in any phase of beta, so I don't have any experience with those phases. 

But so far my play experience with lasers has been pretty poor.  I've got 2 friends playing missiles and the difference is enormous.  It seems any incline of any sort just makes lasers(i'm assuming the same for any gun) just behave stupidly.  I can have a clear line of site and I just hit the ground anyway.  And it's not like this happens oh 5% of the time that i'll just shrug it off as bad luck.  It's quite often and it's annoying.

I don't really want to play missiles.  When I started I read that missiles avoided LoS issues, but I figured the LoS system was more skill based than bug based.  So I would simply have to work harder to get my damage in.

At current I don't feel that way, I just feel like my bot decides to shoot the ground at random times when he really should be hitting his target with no issue.

Aside from the laser issue though, so far I love the game.  I just hope to see some changes to the LoS system, because this was a main draw for me to try this game.  I have no doubt it'll get worked out.

I just started using lasers today for a change of pace from the missiles.  spent a couple hours killing stuff, the LOS seemed to be fine. 

I never saw shots fire way above like with missile misses, sometimes I would hit the ground but it usually was just one out of several shots so it looked more like that was the graphic for missing rather then a tiny bump in the ground blocking me. I never had all my shots of the volley eat dirt.

What is the miss suppose to look like with guns?  Are people sure its LOS problems and not just normal misses?

Either way, laser's were fun. I had no problems.  After hearing and reading all the doom and gloom about the LOS I was expecting it to be much worse then what I experinced.  Definetly wasn't gamebreaking for me.

bro this was fixed 2 patches ago...

It still needs some work. While it is considerably better than before, there is still room for improvement.