Topic: Target View Window

With Artillery incomming, and heavy mechs with long range weaponary becomming standard sooner or later,

i suggest implementing a kind of target view, so we can see what we are shooting at.
I wouldn't mind if its dependent on a certain module (like the chassis-scanner)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Target View Window

Would it require line of sight, like a sniper's eyepiece?
Or are we talking about a repeater from some forward eyes?
Or a view from on high - satellites?
Or a lower aerial view, something like a camera ammo that you can load and shoot that sends back snapshots, plunging video, or slowly drifting video from a parachute or similar?

nano-camera bot... just like the one flying behind my robot - no LoS requirement if its dependant on an equipped module

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

So like "fly to" in stEVE?

No.  I wouldnt like everyone being able to see what I'm fitting as soon as I come onto radar.

Artillery will likely require teamwork to spot your target effectively, or at least line you up in the right location if you want to hit a bottle neck or something.   Take that away and you'll just get squads full of artillery blasting away at anything that comes close.

->You just lost The Game<-

If artillery doesn't require triangulation, target painting and weather data collection I hope it never gets in.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

If artillery doesn't require triangulation, target painting and weather data collection I hope it never gets in.

Not to mention ammunition! If there are infinite number of bullets from these behemoths we're all DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEDDDDD!

laser target painting sounds like an excellent option.

I dont think the artillery guys themselves should see the target area. The spotter just paintes the target ... the artillery guys get to select 'target' from a squad interface drop down.

click fire .... boom.

Artillery should also hit everyone ... friendly fire!!!!

Which leaves huge options for spys to have lots of fun.

The spotter mech should also not be able to be 'cloaked' Not sure what the dev's have in mind for covert ops mechs ... but I'd suggest it is invisible on radar ... always ... and only targetable from a range of like 50m. you can still SEE the mech but your targetting computer is useless.

Also would be easy to implement I'd guess. no new graphics ... just prevent locking if the enemy is out side of 50-100m

Firing weapons would release too much energy which would give away your location etc etc

Engine speed reduced to cut down on noise and again energy used in the reactor. blah blah.

Seamus (Rik)