Topic: roaming npcs, random spawns

Just to make our lives less safe/boring what about making more wandering npcs? I know there are some who moves on a path, but could be more, make them more unpredictable

Also there should be  a chance that they spawn at random places.. preferably near to (afk) miners. They would attack anyone close to them and later they could dissappear if there is no one around. (btw this would be only in beta islands)

What about rare spawns? by chance a much more powerfull npc spawns and have a chance to drop something nice.

Re: roaming npcs, random spawns

the still missing route finding alogrithm prevents the DEVs from implementing roaming NPCs,

needs an overhaul of the spawn system too -> if they would spawn on the same place all the time, they could be camped, or would be predictable.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

If they had a predetermined route, they could pick a random point on that route to respawn them.  They would all spawn in on top of the other ones to reform a group, but if they were wiped out then the next one spawning would be at a random place on their path.

But, this would just lead to people killing everything but 1 of the spawn so it keeps respawning with the last one and just keeping it demobed and aggro'd so it doesnt move.

->You just lost The Game<-

like i wrote already several time - we really need something like an RTS AI, that is mining minerals, transporting goods, building robot squads and roaming around.

or actually three of them, fighting each others AND the players.

that would be beneficial for the pvp and pve part.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

All i want is to spice it up somehow, changing the respawn dynamics (chance to eliminate the whole spawn for a time- or make them appear elsewhere on the map), making surprises like the instead of the 689th 4th star yagel there comes a prometheus or an overlord troiar.

that you should watch your back not to meet a wandering zenith while you farming first level mobs.. etc.

Annihilator wrote:

like i wrote already several time - we really need something like an RTS AI, that is mining minerals, transporting goods, building robot squads and roaming around.

or actually three of them, fighting each others AND the players.

that would be beneficial for the pvp and pve part.

Yeah, that would be neat. probably won't happen anytime soon, but maybe once..

Isn't there a spawn patrol route feature already? Or am I hallucinating the servant grunts outside Asintec walking back and forth?

Roaming might be approximatable by longer, larger patrol routes, and/or "patrolling" patrol routes. I imagine 3-hour, 1-day, and multiple-day cycles on top of one another would look moderately "dynamic" while still offering a significant amount of control to the devs, who probably don't want too much or too little npc density.

you are hallucinating wink

they probably just picking up agro on someone passing by and then running back.

I fear that roaming NPC's would lead to lag again. I noticed that NPC's have been switched back to being unable to move when no one is looking at them as I assume this was causing a lot of lag.

If it wasn't then I'd love to see small gangs of roaming NPC's in the back water paths.

The Game

I agree, roaming NPC's and perhaps rare spawns would be a great idea.

They just can add some random respawn location change, that will add some fun. Imagine - you peacely mining (or doing whatever else) somewhere in quiet, safe place, and the moment after you're surrounded with some high-leveled mobs big_smile

Have a productive day, Runner

random, like a group of small demobbing ewars and heavy dps grophos at the teleporter-scouts?

sure, why not. Teleport patrollers at both sides.. they don't need to be strong and fast, so anyone could avoid them unless they are just sitting there.

Alexander wrote:

I noticed that NPC's have been switched back to being unable to move when no one is looking at them.

lol, I love this logic smile

Thats how it should be though, if no one can see what they are doing turn them off and save some cycles.  If someone comes along turn them on again and just fake anything that 'should' have happened in the meantime. Thats how it should work else its just slowing the server down with unnecessary calculations.

from patch notes:

"Roaming NPCs

New, rare types of alien robots freely roam the lands of both alpha and beta islands, keeping new types of kernels. Watch out though, they might be a tad too much for lone cowboys. "

cool