Topic: Blob shields

We need a portable shield that can reflect all ranged and aoe damage in 200m radius. It will be like in starwars - step throu the shield and rip them apart!

Re: Blob shields

a "shielding" bot would be a cool type of support, and could be used many different ways, but simple having a giant impenetrable dome would be way too OP.

3 (edited by Annihilator 2011-01-10 21:54:44)

the topic-title already tells you why it wont happen very soon...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Eh it sounds enticing at first, but it would be ridiculously hard to balance.

1. You cant shoot through it like all shields, but there would NEED to be a cooldown so you cant just micro the shield and the enemy would have no chance at shooting when it goes down.  It would be like "shield going down in 3-2-1 fire.  shields up again"

2. They just dip in and out of the shield and pretty much guarantee they wont get hit.

3. Anyone that comes within the shield can shoot at anyone else inside of it?  Kinda like the star wars shield bubble thing.

4. Balancing the ratio.  If its 1 bot operating this it would nee stupidly high ratio to absorb damage for a whole squad, or need 5 people energy transfering it constantly.  It will likely be either way to easy or way too hard to keep up and I dont trust the devs to balance that correctly.

5. Range.  Too small and you just promote blobbing even more.  Too big and the shield user doesnt have to go anywhere near the front line to protect the group.  It would have to be around 200m to reflect the remote repairer range.

Overall just no.  I dont think it would add any interesting mechanics to pvp and would just be imba for a long time.

->You just lost The Game<-

I was thinking something like a bot with the ability to generate a shield - for someone else.

It would get a accum recharge bonus, and would provide concise tactical support where/when needed. heck you could even make it module based, and have them as head slots, so you could do multiple targets, at the cost/risk of shield failure of course. the bot would have to be a mech or something that could conceivably have some nasty accumulator, but would ultimately be a neat idea.

As if we need anything to encourage more blobbing up on the battlefield......

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

7 (edited by Adom 2011-01-11 02:05:24)

Well. What do you think if:
1. It would be a very expensive 60u device similar to portable teleporter, you can just place it for 5 mins(50k of absorb, may vary with tier).
2. Everyone who cross it border cant benefit from crossing again for 30 seconds(debuff).
3. Personal shields dont work while you inside.

I think of the shield walls ala global agenda.  It blocks fire on both sides and is only a wall so it may benefit your enemy if you deploy it badly.

9 (edited by Adom 2011-01-11 02:50:29)

Yea, thats good point. I would love to see deployable shieldwalls also, so you can corner enemy in canyons. Just imagine tacktical possibilites, its like battle terraforming yikes

And deployable turrets ,gosh...

Damn Neoxx, youve made me dream about jetpaks on robots ... roll

Adom wrote:

Damn Neoxx, youve made me dream about jetpaks on robots ... roll

If your dreams weren't already filled with robot jet pack battles then your life has been a waste until now.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

was thinking about this last night and just wanted to post the idea, seem you beat me to it.

anyways LARGE SHIED GENERATORS ftw!!!!

-large shield generator bot
-so this game won't be a rage and speed limited, to brake it there should be gangs of EW bots that could get in and drain, or drain from distance. then you'd need a gang of light ew to go and pwn those bots so the shield generator bot could survive:)

a balanced and a simple solution for such a shield, just make it prevent any sort of locks.

You want to huddle under it? Sure, but you ain't getting rr-help or using ewar on the enemy (and neither will they ewar you)

15 (edited by Shaedys 2011-01-11 16:48:44)

Vosyen Makarovich wrote:

a balanced and a simple solution for such a shield, just make it prevent any sort of locks.

You want to huddle under it? Sure, but you ain't getting rr-help or using ewar on the enemy (and neither will they ewar you)

Get a few rivlers with energy transfers and nobody will have to worry about dying ever again. So long as you've got more people.

Right... the blob bois what a more effective way to protect their blob from being engaged....

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Shaedys wrote:
Vosyen Makarovich wrote:

Get a few rivlers with energy transfers and nobody will have to worry about dying ever again. So long as you've got more people.

What part of no locks don't you understand? Good luck trying to transfer energy when you can't lock anyone...

18 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2011-01-11 21:41:59)

Rather than shields that blobs can huddle behind them, which forces an attacker to approach them close range (within the shields) to engage, learn to PVP effectively as a mobile group, utilize the terrain, and actually have to use tactics during an engagement.

I think this video shows why Adom wants a shield generator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ewK9qYLZU

This video shows what happens when you DO USE TACTICS.  If you have a shielded area, that you have to enter to engage, it eliminates ranged combat, and allows a group to blob up safely at one point, without consequences.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Rather than shields that blobs can huddle behind them, which forces an attacker to approach them close range (within the shields) to engage, learn to PVP effectively as a mobile group, utilize the terrain, and actually have to use tactics during an engagement.

I think this video shows why Adom wants a shield generator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ewK9qYLZU

This video shows what happens when you DO USE TACTICS.  If you have a shielded area, that you have to enter to engage, it eliminates ranged combat, and allows a group to blob up safely at one point, without consequences.

They wont be able to just huddle behind it.  They wouldnt be inpenetrable.  if they just sat there behind the shield, you would just hit the shield until it goes down and then they'd have 1 less person in the fight (cap dead shielder and maybe the transferers too) and sitting ducks set up for short range.

to utilize it you would have to duck in and out of the shield,  dealing damage to your enemy and drawing fire away from the shield itself.

It really sounds like you assume the shiled is invulnerable and a permanent blob shield....

sounds like - cover the mining ops long enough to teleport out option big_smile

though i really would prefer to deploy some sentry guns to cover my mining ops - stationary and only active as long as a command bot is around.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear