1 (edited by Container 2011-01-08 05:06:56)

Topic: Why We Have Faith in Perpetuum!

Those who are enjoying the game:
Give a shout-out why you continue to play and support Perpetuum long term!
And see this as a game you would play possibly for years.

My reasons:
1) Industry, PVE and PVP are more well-integrated than any other game I have seen.
The alienation between PVPers and industrial players in many games is not here.
People work together for mutual goals.  Crafting system is deep and absorbing.
2) Robot PVP is FUN.
3) Balanced blue-yellow-green races and weapon types.
4) VERY responsive DEVs quick to respond to balancing and developments in the game.
Crackling pace of patching and new features.
5) Time-based EP system means good ability to integrate the game into RL schedules.
IMPORTANT for long-term participation in the game.  You can leave the game and do your RL thing and come back and progress has still been made. No need to grind continually to keep up with 24-7 players.
6) Sandbox nature of the game does not force you into a predetermined path.  You can PVE, Mine, PVP, go to any island, innovate your own way of playing etc.

Come share why you enjoy the game so new players can have insight into this game we know and love.

Acting CEO, Battleaxe (AXE) Corp.

Re: Why We Have Faith in Perpetuum!

All those reasons, plus Conspiracy is awesome. http://conspiracy.hu/

The pvp is fun enough for sure. I'm excited about future mechanics and pvp possibilities.

Fun people from around the world on a single server.

I can get killed at anytime of the day (especially whilst drunk!)

You know I love this game. Eve made me cry out for an opportunity to start at the beginning from a pvp and Market point of view and really give me the opportunity to compete with the people at the top of the foodchain. Perpetuum for me was that chance. Added on top of that is a pvp basis that really puts a decent amount of skill into pvp on top of eve through situational awareness and you really have a game worth having.

What turns me off is the blob mechanics of the game. I realise I'm in a blob that can be countered but joke have always been just a few guys. While corps like M2S reach 140 members we stick to the core of what we are - multiboxing hardcore guys who have a passion for success.

Since closed beta I have cried out for a change in mechanics to make blobbing worthless. Not the current status quo where a skilled entity can take a 'grab what's in the hanger' group to school but where you pick a select group of your Corp because the terrain and situation demand  it.

If perpetuum doesn't get a handle on this right away it will die.

PO needs to differentiate itself and be a game of put together small to medium gang skill. Yes the massive fleet battles are a great PR tool but trust your playerbase. We will create those battles fighting ten twenty man groups vs ten twenty man groups on a battlefield rather than two hundred vs two hundred. The current 'fixes' are simply a reiteration of other games failures unless the implementation is pretty damn perfect. AOE is just an invitation to organised doomsdays and basically makes a blob vulnerable only if that blob doesnt react to the situation.

What it will create is a benny hill situation where the blob is built around speed and hits people from four or five different edges rather than one blob. In reality it takes some of the tactics from the game as the phalanx that worked so effectively in the hokk fight could never work.

I emplore you now make the fundamental changed needed now while the playerbase is still pliant and ready to adapt to them. History has shown that in established games even seemingly minor changes to pvp create massive community unrest.

That element aside what the devs have done is create a fantastic framework from which to build a truly epic game. The territorial warfare and mission systems are basic enough to provide  that root from which a fantastic system can grow.

You have done a lot to make this game truly something that on the long term can really compete with the big boys. The mechanics are pretty much bang on as is the balancing.

Recommendations:

1) start focus groups around the main pvp issues with representatives of the main alliances and significant neutral pvp corps. Nobody knows better than these guys. To implement something significant without their input is to court disaster. One bad patch can sometimes kill a game. In order to prevent accusations of favouritism publish the convos and after the game is live six months get the playerbase to elect these people.

2) work with the community to implement a mechanic that discourages blobs. Everyone agrees that they don't want to fight in fifty man plus gangs. Help them with that.

3) hire people for the graphics. I personally don't care about the graphics but new players do. The one guy you have on it has done an absolutely fantastic job and I owe him plenty of jaeger but it's time to take it to the next level. Islands shouldn't be a mix of cut and paste plants and structures. They should be put together and planned. Teritory is too important to pvp to not be bespoke. If you don't want to hire then create a modelling competition on one of the major sites where successful modellers win a years subscription and perhaps something shiny or money. You will get eight to ten decent models of stuff to implement at least that would benefit the game.

4) expand the Corp and Market elements of the game. These two are fundamental to the games  operation. Both can exist in their current state but there are glaring issues with the Market that will break the game if exploited currently. The barriers to a successful Market should be based on ep and not incomplete Market tools. The corporation tools are the same. When you operate a corporation like M2S with 140 members where the actions you take are the culmination of six months of play and countless hours of work having that vision thwarted or hindered by a lack of tools in the corporation you are supposed to manage is frustrating. Joke has issues which I'm sure are legion in bigger entities. It's our corps, let us manage them our way.

Those four points are just a basis of what some of the playerbase thinks. Point one's idea of engaging the playerbase is crucial. While on the one hand keeping your gm's and devs out of the games politics is something that many people find important on the other hand people like Styx, Annihalator,  Akumata, Tamas and RG_SHA are the guys operating on the cutting edge making this game what it is and should be. Keep the staff out if you must (but I think they need to play) but keep the people who influence half your playerbase in the loop. Whatever pvp style or expected fitting you can think of they most likely have an alternative and counter.

Fundamentally though and right from the heart thank you for this game. It has the depth and substance to really be something worth caring for and that's rare.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

7 (edited by Recognizer 2011-01-08 14:25:41)

Jita wrote:

tldr

Trolling people like Jita

*Edit: removed unnecessary quote - Recognizer*

Faith I have.

Players building PO world. Players building its history. This is the main thing why i have faith in Perpetuum.

I play this game because it's a different kinde of MMO.
Currently the most MMO games coming out are the same crap. Buy a Sword grab a Shield and bash a Wolf or a big ugly Dragon in the endgame.

But in Perpetuum (I love the deeper sense in this name) you've given a new never-seen-before scenaio. You don't kill silly Wolfs or Pigs or run arround with a stupid gay-looking gown. You have a cool Robot under your butt that you can easily upgrade with many cool weapons and rock over a spacey planet (too bad that most of the planet I've seen is colored in gray/brown but it's atmospheric).

This is the game for guys who don't wanna ride a horse.
It is the game for the guys who wanna ride a fancy robot that can target more then 1 guy same time tongue

I play this game for PvP. Everything else is just a grind.

Forum drama is also a plus.

i have faith, that jita once will be able to write my name, even when he's drunk...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I have 12 month subs so intend on enjoying this game for a long time

My "faith" is starting to diminish but I'm subbed for a year so we will see what happens

Red Five wrote:

My "faith" is starting to diminish but I'm subbed for a year so we will see what happens

If they re-load your avatar so it shows correctly will that help?

->You just lost The Game<-

Red Five wrote:

Do tell why?

Love the game, got all my friends over and started a Corp. Everyone is enjoying the hell out of it. We have market stuff, crfters, miners etc. The ONLY thing that seems lacking is a PvP place for smaller groups. That aside, the game was a great surprise.

Annabel Lee wrote:

Love the game, got all my friends over and started a Corp. Everyone is enjoying the hell out of it. We have market stuff, crfters, miners etc. The ONLY thing that seems lacking is a PvP place for smaller groups. That aside, the game was a great surprise.

most gangs are 5 - 10 people. How small you want?

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Yeah, you can run around on beta with 5-10 no problem.  Right now speed is the key, and it will be your best friend if you want to survive.  You can choose when you want to fight something bigger and slower, and just choose not to if you want.

Going tanked isnt that bad either, but you could get trapped and forced to fight when you dont want to.  You just have to know what you're doing and know how to keep yourselves alive.

->You just lost The Game<-

I have faith in Perpetuum because of patches like the one deployed yesterday.

I have Faith in Perpetuum cos Reef approves

Annihilator said: Walking careless onto hokko without masking is like jumping into a bathtub with the hungry 30cm piranhas (infestation)
GLiMPSE™'s CoolPoints™ Leaderboard

Stunt wrote:
Jita wrote:

tldr

Trolling people like Jita

*Edit: removed unnecessary quote - Recognizer*

here here, its like scanning the + billion cargos and doing a gankthron suicide ftw lol tongue And watching your buddy snatch the loot = priceless

Bought the 12 months straight up ...

This is what I have always wanted in EVE, played that since 2005 and love it and although I wasn't at the first release I watched it grow. Thats why I got the 12 month Perpetuum will grow and with it will be great changes except this time I caught it from close to the very beginning (had no clue about beta sad ).

Some people don't like it but I love the fact that I gain EP while out of the game it fits my lifestyle perfectly due to my work, and this lets me as far as character is concerned stay up there ... obviously others that are on all the time will have an advantage of finding new play styles and progressing in raw skill, but really at its current stage everything I know from massive fleet battles can pretty much work here too so that doesn't bother me ...

Maybe one thing that wasn't expected was an influx of people with knowledge of how to play a game like this and thats why we have seen some huge turns in alliances and allegiance and control, but hey it's all pretty exciting!

With continued support this game will grow ... either that or CCP will buy them out and link it to EVE LOL tongue

24 (edited by Lyghtcrye 2011-01-23 16:34:28)

Alpha X wrote:

Bought the 12 months straight up ...

With continued support this game will grow ... either that or CCP will buy them out and link it to EVE LOL tongue

Yay for planetary interaction the standalone game! But seriously, I expect this game to do to Eve what WoW did to EQ.

And i bought a year for my accts as well=)

25 (edited by Grazskin 2011-01-24 07:20:33)

I like the pvp aspect of the game. I think they are missing some needed features.

1. Alliance.
2. Restrict player captured outposts.
3. Bounties.
4. BIGGER World.
5. Asset window.