Topic: Mining causes fields to turn into stone or dirt looking

So, I had this idea while mining.

What if, like the plants grow, land grew back to it's normal grass look as minerals accumulate.  Basically, as you mine land, it would become dirt or look like stone with maybe loose gravel.  Then as the minerals replenish, or as well over time, the ground would return to it's normal grassy state.

Not only would it look cool, but equally as logical as plants growing, shrinking, and eventually disappearing as they're harvested.

For mining it would be, plant like, in that it starts out grassy, then as you mine it increases in bare, mined out dirt appearance, until it replenishes or in a certain time frame if minerals don't regrow there it slowly returns to being grass.

I dunno, just a thought. I was mining and just letting my mind wander.

Re: Mining causes fields to turn into stone or dirt looking

I like the idea, more dynamic/player-affected world, but would it make geoscanning obsolete? just go out and mine the worn/gravelly spots?

Mining locations need to slowly move over time and their size needs to be increased while their depth reduced.

Then add the effect to terrain. That way each tile could keep track of how worn away it is. Worn tiles would not grow plants. All materials would grow back slower on worn tiles. A 100% worn tile would regenerate (If selected at random to have material grow on it) at 50% normal rate. That means a heavily mined location would become more stripped and fresh new locations (As they moved around very slowly. 1 tile a day/two days perhaps in a random direction if randomly selected to regrow). Liquids would also pool slower into warn tiles at a greatly reduced rate meaning liquid miners would need to switch tiles once in a while or avoid all mining the same tile.

That way geoscanning would be needed to find the new locations of minerals when left for extended periods of time but you could still look for the worn away locations and take a pot luck shot.

It's not perfect but mining is a little forgotten at the moment for an "Optional PVP game".

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Mining locations need to slowly move over time and their size needs to be increased while their depth reduced.

Then add the effect to terrain. That way each tile could keep track of how worn away it is. Worn tiles would not grow plants. All materials would grow back slower on worn tiles. A 100% worn tile would regenerate (If selected at random to have material grow on it) at 50% normal rate. That means a heavily mined location would become more stripped and fresh new locations (As they moved around very slowly. 1 tile a day/two days perhaps in a random direction if randomly selected to regrow). Liquids would also pool slower into warn tiles at a greatly reduced rate meaning liquid miners would need to switch tiles once in a while or avoid all mining the same tile.

That way geoscanning would be needed to find the new locations of minerals when left for extended periods of time but you could still look for the worn away locations and take a pot luck shot.

It's not perfect but mining is a little forgotten at the moment for an "Optional PVP game".

Very good idea. Especially the moving mining locations. As it is, Perpetuum isn't really the dynamic living world that it was advertised to be while it was in development.

Yeah i was disappointed when i found that they were static spawns. Either slowly moving spawns or even new spawns when 1 gets mined out would be much better. Give the miners a more dynamic system much like harvesting has.

What if plants simply regrew in the same location every time?  Yeah, it would make harvesting much more tedious.

->You just lost The Game<-