1 (edited by Tibus Heth 2011-01-03 23:27:34)

Topic: I get a wierd juttery laggy movment ? even with 50 ping and 50 fps ?

I have 50 ping and 40+ fps and it still happens, ever since i came to the assin island. its like it jutters the movment is not synced and the worls seems like your looking at one of those flickbooks in a mild sense, kindof like everything is slowed not like fps lagg and i wonder if anyone else has it or knows why is happens  sad

Re: I get a wierd juttery laggy movment ? even with 50 ping and 50 fps ?

So it's a graphical lag? Everything is jaggy, robot movement, camera movement, or when inside a terminal, dragging around windows or scrolling too? Does it happen in windowed and fullscreen mode too?

Its like a kind of fps lagg i suppose but mosue works perfect, camera moves and works perfect, windows open and close perfect its like sluggish jutterings of the game, happened a lot near water i think.

One of my friends gets this as well

I've noticed this too a few times.

For me, it tends to happen in high-traffic areas, but not always- it can happen when I'm the only bot on the map.

Also, it seems to have no connection to lag- there's no difference at all when it happens.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Wasnt there something with height maps or whatever - re-loading too often after crossing a certain node? I remember a thread on this issue. Stuttering is gone after relogging - feels like a mem-leak.

I just got it again but this time i have youtube on internet in background, i was in fullscreen mode and turned off web page and it was fien again. last time i had nothing open when it was jutterign and this time web and i closed it and it worked ? leads me to belive this game does not like windows 7 or and uses a lot of desktop ressources or something like that while playing even in fulllscreen ?

im running win 7 with a core-2 quad and 4 gigs of ddr3.. 768m 9700GSO gforce.  I should have no vid lag and dont in other games of compareable graphics. I get it in both win mode and fullscreen. (perfer win mode -- run 2 accts)  not all the time but it does seem to build up when it does.. I lean twords the mem leak theory, but hasnt brought me to a total crash.
(its happened when running only one account too)

If you mean periodic, very short stops that make the game feel like it's always stopping and starting, we've encountered that during the development and investigated it for a long while until it turned out that closing skype fixed it tongue It's probably caused by some application running in the background.

DEV BoyC wrote:

If you mean periodic, very short stops that make the game feel like it's always stopping and starting, we've encountered that during the development and investigated it for a long while until it turned out that closing skype fixed it tongue It's probably caused by some application running in the background.

I can't speak for the others, but that's not how it is for me.

The closest term I can use to describe it would be a kind of rubber-banding that happens during travel.

Say I'm traveling to a terminal in a sequer- most of the trip will be smooth, and then, with no warning, the bot will travel forward, snap back a few meters as if in rewind, then move forward again. Even the sound oscillates, as if the bot were coming nearer and moving away.

I've never noticed it during combat, the lag meter doesn't change, and it goes away just as suddenly as it started.

As for other apps, usually only Firefox is open, and it's not streaming video or music.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

Savin, what setup are you using for perp? I had this happen to me but only on my new computer with an ati card. My old computer with an nvidia gtx280 runs the game lag free. Both computers have an i7 processor on win 7 premium with 6 gigs of ram. The only differance between the computers is that perpetuum was installed first and ran first on the non laggy nvidia computer. I also installed a new router to use two boxes at the same time, perhaps that has more to do with it?

Just wondering if we share a common factor that lead to the buggy clients. I am assuming that your client was working well at some point and perhaps some hardware or software change brings on the bugs. I can grab a dxdiag when I get home if we really want to get deeper into the cause of the lag.

If there is a dev reading is there anything else I can check between the two client computers to figure out where the lag is coming from? If I can be of an assistance to tracking down the cause I would be happy to help.

Embolism, it's always been there from day one, and is the only trouble I've ever had. As I said, it's not really a problem, just an odd glitch; since it happens while traveling, it hardly affects gameplay.

Anyway, the only common factor I can see in your description is that I am also running it through an ATI card. Maybe it's a question of settings- since it seems connected to travel, I suppose it could have something to do with the rendering of new features.

It just feels like packet loss to me when it happens. I wonder if the video card has anything to do with it. I am going to try swapping cards when I have some time this weekend just to eliminate or verify a cause of the problem.

Any other ideas to try? I have to do tech support for a living and finding two almost similar machines with only one acting up is a gold mine to me.

Honestly, not a thing comes to mind- the machine I'm using for perp is about four years old, still running XP. I'd agree with you regarding the packet loss, except whenever I monitor it, the connection stays exactly the same.

However, I will be switching everything over to a newer machine in a couple of weeks. If nothing changes until then, it will be interesting to see if the same problem shows up.

Check your latency. From what I understand the servers are a ways across the lake. I experience similar 'jitters' when my ping reaches 150-200+

I doubt it's latency, that was the first thing I checked, and there were no changes.

I always have a ping over 150, typically in the 160-170 range, and this stuttering seems to have no connection to it- it can happen at 150 while nothing at all happens at 200.

A fraps recording would really help us here.
(That is, if it can be recorded. If it's an issue connected to the graphic engine then the recording might be different from what you experience in real time.)

That's a good idea- using the recording as a diagnostic for the graphic engine. I'll see what I can do.

probably packet loss.

I'm not sure my problem is exactly the same, but I will add it just in case it's related.

This problem occurred before the patch in December, after which it disappeared. It has resurfaced shortly after the patch last week. I notice it most from 10am-5pm EST, but it still happens occasionally during other times.

I will be moving along in a bot, with ping around a steady 150 (I believe this is about average for US), which is no hindrance to game play. However, every 5-15 seconds my ping will shoot up for a second or two and then drop down to normal.

This event causes my bot to stop moving, and when I attempt to restart autorun, I  jump forward as though autorun were still engaged the whole time, only my screen wasn't updating my movement.

Multiple tracert to perpetuum show no problems, except for 260ms at the last few hops. No other programs or games are affected in this manner, leading me to believe it is not a problem on my end.

Here is a link to a fraps of the occurrence on youtube. Hopefully you can make out what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8SV_qVCR4

You can see that all other objects and players continue to update, while the movement of my bot does not. The sudden jerk of my position is what happens when I press a movement key or autorun after it freezes.

21 (edited by LethalRose 2011-01-23 02:23:11)

Downs,

go to http://www.pingplotter.com/ and d/l the free version.

set it to gameserverb.perpetuum-online.com:17700

forget the port part.

now, play in windowed mode and watch ping plotter as you experience this issue

it will most likely be due to a small amt of packet loss happening somewhere along the route.

I was able  to use a VPN and the issue completely stopped for me.

the sudden jerk is probably just the client/server syncing  up on where you are located.

I figured it to be packet loss or the server being overloaded and receiving delayed responses from it.

Either way, I'm getting it too.  Does server restarts ease the problem for a time or not?

I followed the suggestion and noticed that there is indeed heavy packet loss at the third to last stop before the perpetuum server. Installing a VPN has reduced the hops from 24 to 13, and my packet loss is now negligible. While it may be too early to say whether this is a permanent fix, it appears to be working and I thank you for the assistance.