Topic: How viable are support characters?

I've only been in game a few days so please excuse my ignorance. 

My question is about support characters i.e. buffers / healers etc.  I'm assuming that to make on you need to invest heavily in the Nexus skills but before I do that what I want to know (ideally from someone who plays one) is do they make a difference to your squad or will you just be gimped and end up as cannon fodder?

Thanks

Re: How viable are support characters?

Remote Repair Symbiont is one of the most important heavy mechs in a Heavy-Mech group in PvP. But also the main target...

• NEXUS support is... dunno what the major PvP Corps think about them, because it needs heavy EP investments and you need the higher NEXUS mods just to notice the effect.

• also, the NEXUS effects are most efficient in big groups, but everyone complains about "blob"-warfare.

• Playing a Support-Agent means, you can't do anything else for a long time (its a miner/harvester build for 80% of the extensions)

• more important then NEXUS would be your Accumulator size and recharge, your armor/shield tank, your locking time - and your Remote-Repair- and Energy-Transfer- efficiency.

*disclaimer: that are my observations of the supporter build during BETA, i can't tell you much about the support roles atm. The major PvP corps probably wont share their support-strategy here in public

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Xini Nemesis wrote:

is do they make a difference to your squad or will you just be gimped and end up as cannon fodder?

Edited to save space, but Support remote reppers are VERY VERY useful in PVP and will always be valued and needed to win.

Healers are good in any game, nothing different here.

What about other buffage appart from the reppers?  What im hearing atm is that NEXUS isnt worth the points right now for what you get out of it.

Xini Nemesis wrote:

What about other buffage appart from the reppers?  What im hearing atm is that NEXUS isnt worth the points right now for what you get out of it.

It's worthwhile if you run with a competent corp and they need someone to fill that roll. Whether it's you or someone else, most people will want a nexus guy or 2 around.

T1/T2 Nexus isn't worth it IMO, too small of a bonus. Nexus will be good in 3-5 months, but right now, not so good. I feel it takes about 250k EP to lay down the basis of your character to make Nexus worthwhile. If you could get your hands on T3/T4 Nexus modules they are worth it. Right now your better off making yourself 15-24% better on individual extensions, than you are adding 1% to a group. Soon it will be a week or more between extension upgrades and that is when Nexus gets interesting.

DAT FACE!

Annihilator and Lege got it spot on. I couldn't touch Nexus right now with its high EP costs knowing there's so many other extensions which will benefit my squad more (EWAR, DPS, self sufficiency). I'd develop my combat effectiveness first before touching Nexus.