Topic: Target locking, extensions, and a bit of math . . .

Something didn't seem right.

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/perpetuum … 70309.jpg/

Based on this screenshot the extension reduces the targeting time by 5% for each level. I have 4 levels in it; therefore, I should get a 20% reduction in targeting time.

The base targeting of a Baphomet is 12.5 sec.

Quick math:

12.5 sec - (12.5 sec * 20%) = 10 sec

Looking at the adjusted listing of my stats on my activated Baphomet, you should notice the targeting time is 10.42 sec.

So I even thought, ok, what if it's compounded every level like so:

12.5 - (12.5 * 5%) = 11.875
11.875 - (11.875 * 5%) = 11.28125
. . . . . for 4 levels, you get the point and the final answer was:

10.181328125 sec. Still not what is listed on the adjusted stats.

Doing other math I found this game has A LOT of rounding down done in it's math so I even recalculated compounded and rounded down every answer to 2 decimal places. That gave me 10.125 sec.

So lets find out: 10.42 is what percent of 12.5?

(10.42 / 12.5) * 100 = 83.36%

The reduction is 16.64% then. That means each level of the extension only reduces targeting time by 4.16%.

Tooltip wrong? Where are these numbers coming from? What am I missing?

2 (edited by Annihilator 2010-12-30 00:05:07)

Re: Target locking, extensions, and a bit of math . . .

in most cases its x*(1+bonus) for increasing effects, and
x / (1+bonus) for decreasing effects.

in very seldom and special ones its x * (1-bonus)

not a single unlogical rounding bug...

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … s-x1bonus/

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

3 (edited by Arcanon Marl 2010-12-30 01:11:39)

Annihilator, if it is x/(1+bonus) than why are my lock on time not correct?

I have a starting lock on time of 12.5 second on my Castel. I have Level 5 Advanced Target Locking and a 25% Locking Time Bonus from my Castel.

This should, in theory using 12.5/1.25=10 | 10/1.25=8 should give me a 8 second lock on time, it doesn't though. In-game I have a 8.33 second lock on time.

Nevermind... I figured it out

So instead of doing it how I did it, they are doing it like this.

12.5 / ( 1 + 0.05 * 5 + 0.25 ) = 8.33

------

Though now I see a problem with how they calculate something else now. My Standard Signal Amplifier

It has a base locking time modifier of 25% and the Sensor Correction skill increases that by an additional 2% per level. I have SC-5 which 10%. My modified SSA locking time modifier is 31.9%.

------

Also, why use the method above for finding your lock on time when they use this formula to find your lock on time when using an amplifier?

8.33 - ( 8.33 * 0.319) = 5.68

Because that is my lock on time when I use a amplifier on my mech.

-----

Standard and modified lock times in-game
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Picture … 20time.png

Amplified lock times in-game
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4784673/Picture … 20time.png

honestly, i don't get it

Why this 1+ and 1/ crap? So someone doesn't figure out your equations? A lot of good that did . . . .

"keep it simple, Stupid!"

Why over complicate it, which I assume everyone does and why I tried EVERY alternative I could think of before I post this question. Sure I could have searched a bit better, the post you replied with is helpful, but did not stick out in this situation when I saw it.

This also basically means that first point you get in most any skill was only for it's install value so you can upgrade it, and has little to no bearing on your stats. . . .

its called dimishing returns, and prevents for Bonuses that are decreasing something, to turn into negatives or zero.

its not very uncommmon.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear