Topic: Electronic warfare

We should make electronic warfare different. Make it fun. Make it actually make sense instead of carbon copy eve.

What I would suggest is making ewar work on modules and not the mech / bot itself.

EW would be replaced by electromagnetic pulse and would cause the temporary failure of your modules, the greater the strength the greater chance of affecting a module. Each module has an ewar hardening strength and rather than losing lock your losing the ability to use some or all of your modules.

Sensor suppressing would be replaced by electromagnetic interference that would reduce the effectiveness of modules across the board. Reps would repair less, guns would shoot shorter distances for less damage etc.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Re: Electronic warfare

oh noes,
jita, where did syndic touch you to request an ewar nerf???:fuuu:

joke aside,

+1

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Interesting idea. Open to exploring it, but it will soon be shot down with a flood of Nerf Rage.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Ewar is already fun.

Ewar is basically can target / can't target currently and I think it would be good to have something different than our competitors.

Imagine the Lithus mk2 you catch that under heavy ewar has a shield failure.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

Ewar is basically can target / can't target currently and I think it would be good to have something different than our competitors.

now imagine that lithus mk2 had equipped a single T4+ railgun with a 500% damage robot bonus and could shoot back while it shield failed...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

7 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-05-17 02:18:40)

Wrong "nerf-ewar-thread" response.

actually something would be interesting.

%%%%%   goes across mods maybe have the guns dont work, maybe  head slots stop working

hmm interesting

Actually, at least OP has fresh idea.

I like the idea of making things bigger. But there is that pesky Single Tile Issue to compete with so we can't have larger Bots as is.

The alternative is to focus inward and get more out of our Single Tile limitations. More Bots is the first solution in my option followed very closely by more mods. If we are going to add "eye" slots and start making mods and bots focus on specific capabilities that could be a good direction. The more we focus on the details of each single bot the 'larger' it becomes despite the Single Tile.

So my above post was premature, thus deleted.

Jita wrote:

For the most part I like the general idea you have Jita, maybe one day it could work.  The shield failure would wreck shield type bots and would be op. Example tyranos is paper when shield is gone, but a plated kain or artemis would still have a big buffer from plates even if the repper stopped working from a ew hit.  But I do like the out of the box thinking.

The problem with ewar here is that combat mechanic in perpetuum is quite simple (compared to eve). In eve in order to land a show you need to have proper traversal speed, range, ammo-size-to-target ratio, turret rotation speed and couple more things. And with all those parameters in place it opens you up for a lot of interesting ewar which already is there (and used in smaller scale engagements very often) like weapon disruptors which lower your optimal range or turret rotation speed.

It's an interesting concept, but I would limit it to guns only. Otherwise like Lucian mentioned it would be OP.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Well you balance it by giving different modules different strengths thereby reducing their ability to fail. Shields are very important but in a combat situation if they only failed a comparatively small amount of time for a small amount of time then it wouldn't be too much risk. Compare that to using ewar to break a lithus and under sustained fire and ewar it provides another option for the small gang.

Perhaps these modules could be added to the game as new stuff, instead of changing the existing ones.

Would have to think more on how it would behave in synergy with the rest of the stuff though.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Jita wrote:

Well you balance it by giving different modules different strengths thereby reducing their ability to fail. Shields are very important but in a combat situation if they only failed a comparatively small amount of time for a small amount of time then it wouldn't be too much risk. Compare that to using ewar to break a lithus and under sustained fire and ewar it provides another option for the small gang.

but wouldn't that kind make it just another universal tool to bring down someone defenseless? a role which Neuts already have?

the idea is not bad, but it sounds hard to achieve a balance between a to high and a to low chance to hit, especially when, as usual, the chance is based on item tier and an extension and number of modules used. (the typical t4 maxed-out downward scaling)

reminds of the old idea DEV Alf had with target hitzones, individual module damage, where modules could be damaged up to beeing destroyed, before the whole robot explodes.

Sounds similar to how hacking worked in earth and beyond, you could have a gun taken off line or an engine or cause the reactor to stop charging ect. Maybe add a new module that did this.

Current ewar is plenty fun and almost balanced.

I'd rather devs focus on more important things than fixing what's not broken.