Topic: Bigger font option needed desperatly

I am sitting at about 120cm from my screens (the main reason for it is the fact that I run 6 of them and sitting any closer makes using the others impractical), which are all 22'' running 1080p. And with that most of the text outside of chat requires me to move my head forward, and the very small font (for example with server time) requires moving forward and squinting. I don't have bad eyesight - quite the opposite, but simply from this distance font this small is unreadable.

So, can we get the font sizes adjustable, so I can read this without some weird face gymnastics?

Re: Bigger font option needed desperatly

Puciek wrote:

I am sitting at about 120cm from my screens (the main reason for it is the fact that I run 6 of them and sitting any closer makes using the others impractical), which are all 22'' running 1080p. And with that most of the text outside of chat requires me to move my head forward, and the very small font (for example with server time) requires moving forward and squinting. I don't have bad eyesight - quite the opposite, but simply from this distance font this small is unreadable.

So, can we get the font sizes adjustable, so I can read this without some weird face gymnastics?

Did you check to use large font under options? I think it is mainly for the chat window.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:
Puciek wrote:

Did you check to use large font under options? I think it is mainly for the chat window.

That option is what made chat readable, but it doesn't help UI one bit.
If they don't have the time to make UI scale properly with font, mark it as experimental setting (oh hell, even in config file for now) as I do not care if the text will overlap with some elements as long as I will be able to read it without squinting.

Unfortunately the only option is to lower your screen resolution because increasing UI font size requires a complete UI overhaul.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Unfortunately the only option is to lower your screen resolution because increasing UI font size requires a complete UI overhaul.

Lowering the resolution is not an option for LCD monitors as it will distort the visuals, unless you got some low-res monitor from the get go (for example native 720 instead of 1080). And while doing it right would require some overhaul of the UI (not all of it, but also not a five minute task), it is a necessary step as 1080 is here and this is what most people use, and more will use it for gaming with every month as gaming pcs with enough power to output playable frame-rate are more and more affordable.

I have a resolution of 1920x1080 and have no problem reading anything on screen, but my screen is 24" I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Lowering below recommended resolution is far from ideal that I understand.

I hope the Devs could work something out but it might take a while for that to be fixed. Maybe sooner, since Gargaj seems to be on steroids these past few weeks tongue

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

I have a resolution of 1920x1080 and have no problem reading anything on screen, but my screen is 24" I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Lowering below recommended resolution is far from ideal that I understand.

I hope the Devs could work something out but it might take a while for that to be fixed. Maybe sooner, since Gargaj seems to be on steroids these past few weeks tongue

2'' make a lot of difference, it also depends how far you sit from your screen. I am sitting in front of my PC a lot so i have comfy wing-back chair i can rest my back on, not the uncomfortable and painful "recommended" chair where you sit up-straight and about 70cm from the screen (which makes my eyes pop out in pain as it's way too close).

And if that is the case, we can put something special in Gargajs feeding bag wink.

This is not a two-minute fix: The problem is that the GUI DESIGN itself (i.e. the actual skin of Perpetuum) wasn't drawn to be "stretchy" like a website. This was sadly an early oversight that we can't hack-fix. hmm

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

9 (edited by Puciek 2014-05-14 00:40:43)

DEV Gargaj wrote:

This is not a two-minute fix: The problem is that the GUI DESIGN itself (i.e. the actual skin of Perpetuum) wasn't drawn to be "stretchy" like a website. This was sadly an early oversight that we can't hack-fix. hmm

Never said that making it stretchy would be a two-minute fix, just that there may be a hack with font sprites by replacing them with large ones (which would open big can of other issues, but for me that would be more than fine). And nothing to feel not-so-good about with it, oh so many mmos (even the big E) did that mistake early into development wink.

One question remains though - is that somewhere even near the pipeline, or more like on the bottom of a very dusty shelf?

I'm sorry but I don't think overlapping GUI elements and labels all over each other would be "fine". There is a certain limit to hacking the crap out of it too smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't think overlapping GUI elements and labels all over each other would be "fine". There is a certain limit to hacking the crap out of it too smile

Well, I got different requirements than most of gaming population that is why I underlined that for me, personally, such mess would be fine.

Puciek wrote:

Well, I got different requirements than most of gaming population that is why I underlined that for me, personally, such mess would be fine.

Sure, but imagine screenshots of that circling around the internet, representing the game. It might be fine for you, but it's certainly not the best advertisement.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Puciek wrote:

Sure, but imagine screenshots of that circling around the internet, representing the game. It might be fine for you, but it's certainly not the best advertisement.

I promise to release them only as a pair with similar screenshots from time when this issue plagued you-know-which-game and I had sprite hack running there wink.

I get your point though, but that still leaves the priority question which kinda is an answer on it's own.

+1