Topic: More space

The suggestion is to make more beta islands.

Why?
It is currently not possible to go from beta islands of one colour to beta islands of another colour without interzoning or going via alpha.  This seems kind of odd and also make roaming beta less interesting since you have to go through non-pvp zones.

Having more space partly deals with the problem of a single alliance being able to control most islands using spark teleports and does not involve nerfing spark TPs. I am not saying this would resolve all the spark arguments but I think it would make it a bit less of an issue.

Having more entrances from beta to gamma will make it harder for larger alliances to control all gamma access points giving more players the opportunity to try things on gamma.

How?
Well, my crazy idea is to turn the old alpha islands into new beta islands, maybe with a few changes (im thinking of Hershfield in particular), and make new alpha islands.

With recent changes alpha islands have become very tame but their terrain and disconnected highway networks still makes them look like some kind of wilderness.  You see people taking some very strange routes that miss all the highways and teleports because they can just use the autopilot.

So why not design new alpha islands that have a regular and logical layout where the obvious routes between teleports are also the ones that have highways.

To save the dev's time and involve the community, there could be a competition in which players design the central (inland) terrain of the island using the available terraforming tools.

The devs could be the ones to pick which islands would be which colour and put strucuters, highways and finishing touches on them.

+1
-Confucius

Re: More space

+1 to more islands and a Hershfield-like Beta or 2.

But seems kinda PIA to redesign whole new alpha layout. Just keep adding islands. Current set does not even need to be 'center'

Oh yeah and give more bot types.

12 Beta Islands! 

yay

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Improve highways on existing islands.

No need to redesign or add more Beta's at this point, Gamma will change the landscape entirely.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I've long been a fan of many more islands but only if there is variety. The world needs to be balanced, sure, but that doesn't mean homogeneous.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/78751/#p78751

The world needs to be humanized in it's design and layout.

Humanity is flawed and imperfect by definition.

Look at how "islands" are laid out in just 1 region of EVE:
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/map/Deklein

So many variations and options, compared to Perp's uniform robotic layout.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

well, does eve have a themepark based mission system that relys on manually placed npcs spawns on a map where pathfinding matters and the mission rewards should scale with the effort and diffuculty ?

if it wasn't for the mission system, a random island generator could create new islands on demand. with a working pathfinding algorithm and a few other rules, they could even create islands with roads on them. Flash TD games are able to do this, so a 2.5D based MMO of this size should be able to do the same.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

well, does eve have a themepark based mission system that relys on manually placed npcs spawns on a map where pathfinding matters and the mission rewards should scale with the effort and diffuculty ?

Not every island needs missions. Don't even all need terminals. I like Ludlow's suggestions, especially variations in size. Clusters of small islands could be fun. Variety.

Rage Rex wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Not every island needs missions. Don't even all need terminals. I like Ludlow's suggestions, especially variations in size. Clusters of small islands could be fun. Variety.

i know, and i agree - but its really the only thing i can think of that is preventing new islands from beeing added (aside of certain server-capacities)

i can totally imagine an "island" that is actually a split island with no direct connection, just two teleporters on each half that lead to other instances.
or a cluster of islands that has only a terminal at the one in the middle, and eventually some outposts on the outside.  Almost like converting maps from TA/SC/FA into Perp islands (who doesn't want a Beta island like setons clutch big_smile)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear