1 (edited by Mistress Athena 2014-05-08 19:21:24)

Topic: "Support" Mechs

My Idea comes from playing EVE for many years. I feel this game is going great in many directions, but alot of room for improvement, and expansions.

There are 2 mechs I believe are really missing, proper support mechs, and true full scale haulers.

The Support Mech

My Idea is quite simple, to add a ship similar to the "Industrial Capital" ships in EVE.

It would be a very large, very expensive Mech, that would cost probably around 5x more than anything in the game atm. It would also hover in the air solely.

It's a mech that could carry 2-3 corpmates ground based mechs underneath it. This could be shown as a blue elctricity field attaching between the 2 mechs.

This Mech would also act like the Orca in EVE, where it could install 2-3 Head slots for Nexus boosts.

Variants

There would be 2 different styles.

Industrial focused: Would be lightly/medium armored with a large cargo capacity. Able to carry mining items for the miners, such as Mining Charges, and Geoscanner charges, etc. It could also hover over the mining area, and give Mining boosts to the miners linked with it as well as dropping the mining charges, etc. into crates for the miners to pick up and use.

Combat focused: Would be much more heavily armored, with a smaller cargo, but able to carry some ammo. It could carry 1 extra mech than the Industrial, and give combat boosts to the mechs linked through the Nexus.

Industrial Haulers

The Industrial Haulers would simply be very huge haulers capable of carrying vast amounts of supplies/goods.

This would be good for many aspects. You could trade, and or haul large amounts of supplies to other bases to sell .
You could also use it to transport large amounts of stock you bought on the market to your base. Or use it for Mining Ops.

Variants

It would come in 3 sizes.

Industrial Light:

Simply 4 treaded medium sized Mech with a similar load to the Sequar. 100 U

Industrial Mech:

Larger 4 treaded sized Mech with roughly a 150 U Cargo capacity, with more armor and slower.

Industrial Heavy Mech:

6 treaded extra large mech with roughly 350 U cargo capacity, very large amounts of armor, and able to allow corpmates to drop ore directly into it.

It would also have a 50 U seperate cargo for corpmates to access directly that can hold Mining charges, etc.

Re: "Support" Mechs

A logistics style bot would be nice too, rolling out mining bots to do remote repairs just seems silly. Would be nice if we had an assault and heavy mech/glider dedicated to squad support with bonuses to remote repairs and energy transfers.

As the sequer, lithus and scarab already haul 80/240/720u respectively your proposed industrial hauler's capacity isnt really enough....minimum of 5000u would be more appropriate for a dedicated 'freighter' type bot and it'd have to be sloooow as hell.

Ultroth wrote:

As the sequer, lithus and scarab already haul 80/240/720u respectively your proposed industrial hauler's capacity isnt really enough....minimum of 5000u would be more appropriate for a dedicated 'freighter' type bot and it'd have to be sloooow as hell.

I didn't see the 720 one. You're right however.

The next scale should be 2,160U cargo capacity.
Really slow, perhaps a new mechanic where by it has a build in teleport beacon that can be charged up but locks the robots in position and draws massive amounts of power while charging.

The issue with scale of the robot is an engine problem. The largest robot in the game is a Glider because this allows for "Larger than 1 tile" robot feet. An even larger glider would look silly as the smallest change in terrain would make it look like it had hydraulics.

A very nice idea and something this game could use but I'd like to see it done differently. The ability to carry sparks would be amazing, and also robots that the sparks could deploy from. You load your spark (And robot) into the beast and then get to watch as it carries you around. When you're ready to depart you can just deploy again from any of the robots in the ships storage. Limit this to a configurable option of corp, squad or no one and it's golden.

We'll call it the skyscrapper bot.

+1

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

8 (edited by Celebro 2014-05-11 11:49:45)

Alexander wrote:

The issue with scale of the robot is an engine problem. The largest robot in the game is a Glider because this allows for "Larger than 1 tile" robot feet. An even larger glider would look silly as the smallest change in terrain would make it look like it had hydraulics.

I think Devs said it would be possible to make islands with 4 times the tiles size we have now, that would mean larger robots is still a possibility in the future, but only for that type of island.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

I think Devs said it would be possible to make islands with 4 times the tiles size we have now, that would mean larger robots is still a possibility in the future, but only for that type of island.

I think they dropped the idea after a bit of testing on DEV server, with a giant volcano style island. Since currently every island is an instance running as completely enclosed entity, they had issues of communicating the positoin of players at the edges between two of the instances (they put a giant mountain in the middle to prevent the worst case scenario)

they had issues with synchronizing the connection zone between two of those instances in all necesary aspects:
Radar, LoS, and terrain.

The issue with multi-tile Robots is a completely different one.
for all the dice rolling math on the server, the robots are nothing but vectors added to the hightmap. Remember all the issues they had with LoS just shooting downhill because of that simplification.
With bigger robots, all the existing, tolerateable shortcommings of the engine will turn into no-go's.

when you got a robot that is two tiles long, but only one tile wide - instant direction changes will look extreme silly
LoS calculations - where should they aim at? the end that sticks out of the cover, the center (or actually a point above the center because of said downhill LoS issue) or front?

obstacles - probably the smallest isse, but collision detection between said robot and obstacles needs to be adjusted to prevent ultra silly clipping issues. Theres a similar issue whith higher robots, because structures only have colissions bodies where they toch the ground.

the second smallest issue is probably the step from 2D to 3D, aka how to allign the mech with the ground

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Was too lazy to read the whole thread so dunno if someone already proposed it or not - dedicated nexus bot, that's it.

We have a good little beginning here with a Scarab, however, even that one needs to be rebalanced.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086