Re: Spark Teleports

Personally I don't like timers that stop you doing anything, so I'd rather have cool down timers (I can't spark jump but I can play Perp) to timers during or after jump (where I cannot do anything at all in game)

Smokeyii wrote:

Now, Dev Zoom, in his infinite wisdom decided that the best way to fix the problem with INSTANT power projection to up to 10 outposts anywhere on NIA was to say "OK, you can only haz 5, but we do it in a weird way that only makes sense to Hungarians". And guess what? We've still got people complaining about INSTANT power projection, only now the shoes on the other foot.

This

1,278 (edited by Smokeyii 2014-05-06 03:34:31)

Dazamin wrote:

Personally I don't like timers that stop you doing anything, so I'd rather have cool down timers (I can't spark jump but I can play Perp) to timers during or after jump (where I cannot do anything at all in game)

So, how about no timer on alpha, timer on beta/gamma.

*edit* hell, how about only on beta?

Smokeyii wrote:
Dazamin wrote:

Off the top of my head, I would put a cooldown timer on everything (3-4 hrs maybe) and limit people to 3-4 Spark locations.

HOWEVER this only works alongside a much less rage inducing tp network, which also lets you look at mobile tps.

Ultimately in both cases I think you need a redesign of the tp network before you can do too much with either, since subjecting people to having to move purely with the static tp setup as is, is just cruel smile

Dazamin wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:
Dazamin wrote:

Off the top of my head, I would put a cooldown timer on everything (3-4 hrs maybe) and limit people to 3-4 Spark locations.

HOWEVER this only works alongside a much less rage inducing tp network, which also lets you look at mobile tps.

Ultimately in both cases I think you need a redesign of the tp network before you can do too much with either, since subjecting people to having to move purely with the static tp setup as is, is just cruel smile

I don't like the concept of timers because it encourages "no-play"

what I mean by that is that people will attempt to bait fleets into sparking so they can hit another station that will be undefended.  What you get from this is a fleet in one spot doing nothing and a fleet in another spot doing nothing.,..

the point of sparks should be to encourage fighting as well as providing a means of limiting robot walking simulator.

Again, I think people here are jumping to conclusion based on the fact that 19 islands are not in game.  Add back gamma and the current system is very restrictive.  lv10 = one gamma two betas and one alpha 2...that's pretty damn restrictive.

The real issue is that current spark system favors veterans, and limits new player involvement in current pvp.

From what I can tell, its people who don't like that one alliance is wiping an inactive alliance off the map, made possibly by the ability to have....2 (two) sparks on beta...considering they can spark with no cool down.  Mind you...everyone else has the ability to make use of these sparks.

Hell in the future, a cooldown on sparks is just going to favor people with multiple combat accounts who can just undock and spark while the new players and those with one combat need to wait 4hrs...

Cooldown timers are a horrible idea.  It will reduce battles, it will further favor veterans and people with multiple accounts, and it wont fix the issue of "inactive corps and alliances will get wiped off the map"

Mind you if the game does get really active and a few more power blocks rise up (some are on the fast track right now) and gamma is added back asap....the current system is going to be restrictive enough on fleet mobility.  Its a shortsighted suggestion imo, based more on personal gain given the current powerblock situation, and isn't based in any way on the health of the game or real balance issues.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Stranger Danger wrote:
Dazamin wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

I don't like the concept of timers because it encourages "no-play"

what I mean by that is that people will attempt to bait fleets into sparking so they can hit another station that will be undefended.  What you get from this is a fleet in one spot doing nothing and a fleet in another spot doing nothing.,..

the point of sparks should be to encourage fighting as well as providing a means of limiting robot walking simulator.

Again, I think people here are jumping to conclusion based on the fact that 19 islands are not in game.  Add back gamma and the current system is very restrictive.  lv10 = one gamma two betas and one alpha 2...that's pretty damn restrictive.

The real issue is that current spark system favors veterans, and limits new player involvement in current pvp.

From what I can tell, its people who don't like that one alliance is wiping an inactive alliance off the map, made possibly by the ability to have....2 (two) sparks on beta...considering they can spark with no cool down.  Mind you...everyone else has the ability to make use of these sparks.

Hell in the future, a cooldown on sparks is just going to favor people with multiple combat accounts who can just undock and spark while the new players and those with one combat need to wait 4hrs...

Cooldown timers are a horrible idea.  It will reduce battles, it will further favor veterans and people with multiple accounts, and it wont fix the issue of "inactive corps and alliances will get wiped off the map"

Mind you if the game does get really active and a few more power blocks rise up (some are on the fast track right now) and gamma is added back asap....the current system is going to be restrictive enough on fleet mobility.  Its a shortsighted suggestion imo, based more on personal gain given the current powerblock situation, and isn't based in any way on the health of the game or real balance issues.

I'm not in CIR and I'm not in STC, I don't care who wipes who, you don't like the idea of cooldowns, fine, but don't dismiss anyone who disagrees as just "being mad at how pr0 you are".

One of the basic principles of the game is you can't get everywhere instantly, spark tps override that basic principle with no restrictions (for whichever islands you have sparks on). You think its a problem that I could fake out your force into sparking somewhere and then attacking somewhere else, I don't, I think that's a legit tactic. As we're doing sweeping generalisations it seems to me that lots of people think two sides should decide to fight over one spot, line up facing each other an then throw all their bots at the other side, well this isn't an arena fps. People don't have to play the game the way you want them to (Which incidentally would favour your side).

Cooldowns don't encourage 'no play', because sparks should not be the default way of getting to a fight. It just doesn't encourage 'no thought play', don't need to think ahead, just spark around whenever we like.

Stranger Danger wrote:

I don't like the concept of timers because it encourages "no-play". ...

good that you say that.

like teleport deploy timers
pvp flag timer
syndicate protection timer
molecular instability timer
inflated lock-timer (because your supressed by some vets ewar mech)
death penalty undock timer
safe-log timer
two- and three-timers (multiboxing)

indeed, your sentence up there explains why the game is so popular and PvP is rather avoided then enjoyed by the masses.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

We discussed this over and over.  Even if sparks are removed.  The veteran players will stage alts at xyz terminals..  It will just turn into "attack of the b team"

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

We discussed this over and over.  Even if sparks are removed.  The veteran players will stage alts at xyz terminals..  It will just turn into "attack of the b team"

That's pretty true.

1,285 (edited by Dazamin 2014-05-06 19:10:24)

That's not ideal but its preferable, you are giving something up in order to defend multiple stns, that's different from Sparks, where you're not.

You know.  What I enjoy about spark teleportation is that I can do an industry assignment that requires me to manufacture something.  Then I can (instead of WAIT for who knows how long for the item to be manufactured) teleport to another Terminal and do Assignments there. 

I mean seriously.  If you want a timer, impose one on yourself.  Just start your timer on your phone and don't use the teleport till the your timer is up.

What?  Oh, thats not fair?  Well, shove off and go play EvE if you want a farking timer.  Don't attempt to ruin the enjoyment for others because you aren't happy with something. 

I hope you realize that the GM's were trying to make it easier on the players to move around, do stuff at different stations and assist in Corporation endeavors.  You want to walk on beta?  Well, take the chance that reinforcements will come to decimate your Mech.  Don't whine that you can't do everything you want to do because you want something changed to assist you in accomplishing your whining goal. 

I'm NEW and I do not care what you have to say.  I read it all, the droning is ***.  I will not be lending an ear to rabble as yourselves.  Always whining about something not being in your favour.  WANT WANT WANT!  Get over it!  Its not unbalanced, its getting from A to B in 30 secs not 30min - 1hr.

As I said before ... set your own DARNED TIMER!

id rather a system that encourages new players to get in on the action and deters any form of "lets get their fleet here so we can take this other station without incident"

current system is restrictive enough and is weighted heavily in favor of vets who are able to sink the better part of a months EP into the extension.

Cooldowns will produce less fights, will hurt new players and people with one account most, and wont effect the vets who can mess around with 5 different alts.

Also as indicated in the above post...these suggestions 100% ignore all other aspects of the game that benefit from the current system having no cooldown.

The only change I want to happen with sparks is enabling new players to better participate in using the system without having to nix close to a months ep.  Maybe spark teleport should be a corp management skill for instance, and spark teleports could be dictated by leaders with this skill in terms of how much EP was put into it and therefor how many slots their members can freely use.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

The MECHanic wrote:

You know.  What I enjoy about spark teleportation is that I can do an industry assignment that requires me to manufacture something.  Then I can (instead of WAIT for who knows how long for the item to be manufactured) teleport to another Terminal and do Assignments there. 

I mean seriously.  If you want a timer, impose one on yourself.  Just start your timer on your phone and don't use the teleport till the your timer is up.

What?  Oh, thats not fair?  Well, shove off and go play EvE if you want a farking timer.  Don't attempt to ruin the enjoyment for others because you aren't happy with something. 

I hope you realize that the GM's were trying to make it easier on the players to move around, do stuff at different stations and assist in Corporation endeavors.  You want to walk on beta?  Well, take the chance that reinforcements will come to decimate your Mech.  Don't whine that you can't do everything you want to do because you want something changed to assist you in accomplishing your whining goal. 

I'm NEW and I do not care what you have to say.  I read it all, the droning is ***.  I will not be lending an ear to rabble as yourselves.  Always whining about something not being in your favour.  WANT WANT WANT!  Get over it!  Its not unbalanced, its getting from A to B in 30 secs not 30min - 1hr.

As I said before ... set your own DARNED TIMER!

Hi, thanks for this quality well thought out, not at all idiotic post, please come again.

Can't we just get more highways and better alpha Tele network and then just remove sparks all together?

Dazamin wrote:
The MECHanic wrote:

I hope you realize that the GM's were trying to make it easier on the players to move around, do stuff at different stations and assist in Corporation endeavors.

Hi, thanks for this quality well thought out, not at all idiotic post, please come again.

Industry and Market activity needs remote access and control. That is the solution you need not Spark TP with all its baggage. Well thought out? Sarcasm?

1,291 (edited by Annihilator 2014-05-06 20:10:08)

Stranger Danger wrote:

id rather a system that encourages new players to get in on the action and deters any form of "lets get their fleet here so we can take this other station without incident"

current system is restrictive enough and is weighted heavily in favor of vets who are able to sink the better part of a months EP into the extension.

Cooldowns will produce less fights, will hurt new players and people with one account most, and wont effect the vets who can mess around with 5 different alts.

Also as indicated in the above post...these suggestions 100% ignore all other aspects of the game that benefit from the current system having no cooldown.

The only change I want to happen with sparks is enabling new players to better participate in using the system without having to nix close to a months ep.  Maybe spark teleport should be a corp management skill for instance, and spark teleports could be dictated by leaders with this skill in terms of how much EP was put into it and therefor how many slots their members can freely use.

just a thought - since you are talking about new player, and a new player voiced his concerns - why does spark teleportation need to be a feature alpha-beta-gamma ?
why can't they just place the teleporters to beta islands within a 100m range of an alpha outpost, that can be set as spark-teleportation target depending on your relation with that npcs corp there? teleportation between factions is a nother aspect that is rarely necessary (nor logic).

same way, you can spark teleport between gamma outposts that belong to your alliance if they are in range and have a teleport building.

spark porting to your corps beta outpost seem unnecessary, since those outposts are meant to be "homebases". perhaps if outpost power is at max, as incentive to keep it that way...

*edit:*
but the post above makes clear, remote access instead of teleporting there would be the desireable implementation

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Rage Rex wrote:

Industry and Market activity needs remote access and control. That is the solution you need not Spark TP with all its baggage. Well thought out? Sarcasm?

Perhaps a little smile

But yes remote access is where its at for what this dude was talking about.

bump for Masta

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

You know now that i think about it the timer is kinda crazy short.  You would think at least a few minutes like a flag timer.

Ville wrote:

Need a cool down 1 hour or 4 hour.   Being round the world in 60 seconds is bad.

I would like to point out unless this is change you will NEVER have a stable alliances living on islands.  You will always have a "most active players online wins" type territorial control.  It's too easy to form up large tanky heavy mech fleets and very easily assault the other side of the map.  It's too easy.  And it hurts the population, no matter how much you love sparking around a million times it stops growth.  Unless you want the same 8 dudes playing forever, fix the fundamental issues.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Look how small the world is. Anyone seriously wanting to siege anything at the other side of the map won't mind the 15 min travel.

24 hr CD wouldnt be hard to put in and it really isnt that hard to move a fleet across the map

Burial wrote:

Look how small the world is. Anyone seriously wanting to siege anything at the other side of the map won't mind the 15 min travel.

yeah, but what about those who just build a gamma base and never actively live there except for the rare ocassion that its beeing attacked by a large enough force to inflict some damage.

a "siege" would mean that noone would be able to get in, or out of a base - but with spark teleport you can move in and out free as often as you want. You could even go out to do beta saps while your base gets "sieged"

its tad little to much freedom.

thats what the 24 hour CD is for Anni it makes it higher risk to be lazy and jump

Burial wrote:

What a terrible defense to do nothing about this matter at all.

Hey guys they can do it in 15 min, so instant is just as the same....right?

It should be a 23 hour CD.

About a year ago.

I am Perpetuum.