Topic: Renaming the teleports

Please rename all teleports to match. Example: All internals end in 2, externals in 1. Their mismatching is confusing to all players.

Re: Renaming the teleports

The entire network is a mess. Too many left overs from bygone eras.
Rework the entire network of teleporters and highways.

Alexander wrote:

Bite sized chunks. This is a quick fix that will help new players without tieing up the devs for too long from keeping the servers running.

4 (edited by Alexander 2014-04-26 00:01:30)

Tund Bungler wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Bite sized chunks. This is a quick fix that will help new players without tieing up the devs for too long from keeping the servers running.

I complete agree. I was just adding a long term goal. The short term would be that someone goes around very quickly and renames all the teleporters. In an ideal world changing the names of the teleports would instantly appear on the maps etc but I doubt it's written like this. Probably a lot of hard coding. I hope to be proven wrong!

Edit: This isn't as easy as first appears. Renaming the teleports will mean that any changes to connections later requires a new renaming to be done. A lot of work when you have to do it twice.

[Work in progress of examples as it takes a long time]

Attalica
New Brandenburg => ICS Alpha
Galoly Belil => Blaha
Blaha I => Galoly I
Blaha II => Galoly II
Radholme West => Radholme West I
Zapetsky Pliel => Radholme West II

Tellesis
Kausdam I <=> Kausdam II
Weyster Port I <=> Weyster Port II
Ponmantel => Ponmantel I
Montabis => Ponmantel II

Daoden
Sangutal => Asintec Alpha
Golpagany => Chotassia II
Chotassia II => Dari I
Dari Shoto => Dari II
Hakkabor => Hakkabor I
Ruydado=> Hakkabor II
Matsu Shoto I => Matsu I
Matsu Shoto II => Matsu II

Shinjalar

New Virginia

Hershfield

Tund Bungler wrote:

Please rename all teleports to match. Example: All internals end in 2, externals in 1. Their mismatching is confusing to all players.

This yes.

Alexander Idea:  No.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

7 (edited by Alexander 2014-04-28 18:33:32)

Okay.

What would you do about Chotassia I and II. I'd suggest switching Chotassia I to Chotassia II and changing Golpagany to Chotassia I. The current Chotassia I would become Golpagany.

Same issue with Fort Donnerth I and II but there is no easy solution to this one.

What on earth do you plan to do with Fort Beuvis III? Ghuron III?

The teleporters are all named after the sectors of each island, why not move to the slightly used "North X" and "West X" naming patter. If there is only one teleport just name it after the sector.

+1 to updating the names in some coherent manor.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

well, i always wondered why teleport that only have a single connection (like almost all of them) did not get the name of the target teleporter.

traffic signs on freeway entrance ramps usually show primarily the possible destinations you can reach. the name of the ramp usually only necessary on exit ramps.
(sorry, thats hard to explain in english)

but the most important thing i would love to see - is a travel network that was implemented with a different goal in mind then the current one -> aka usability.
The current one is based upon "lore" and the idea that the game world should not be made smaller by to fast travel methods.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear