Topic: Keep terraforming the way it is...

... and give us micro jump drives smile

+1
-Confucius

Re: Keep terraforming the way it is...

Or micro TP module. Same short distance (jump) result. Different concept without new graphics or 2/3D issue. That and list of about 10 new bots. Holding my breath.

But still change terraforming

3 (edited by Inda 2014-04-23 00:46:55)

I definatly want to use becon terraforming, dont delete a feautre what you already have.

Without that lots of sand would through out the window, many-many people (include me) want to plan and make some nice structures, like arena, or anything (Indas fault sentence, and p....).

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

4 (edited by Goffer 2014-04-23 06:47:18)

At the moment terraforming is a pain.
Please change terraforming drastically in the following ways:
- Give feedback as soon as no more change can be performed with the current charge due to steepness rules
- Give this feedback during terraform plan creation or way better don't allow to set up a terraform plan that violates the rules.

Additionally I woul like the following
- allow more steepness for some limited area, else the islands will flat out on long term. I don't like to have walls, but I like to see some small cliffs and more just to avoid having on long term islands than are complete flat.
- allow to "Memorise" a given terrain and restore it later on (even if this violates rules).

Terraforming does not mix well with the core PVP game If it is to stay, it has to be separated into something away from PVP.
Look at how Everquest Next did it: they made a separate building/terraforming game (Landmark), where people can claim pieces of land and build whatever.

So, maybe Perpetuum should have separate sets of gamma islands: one for terraforming and another for war.

6 (edited by Celebro 2014-04-23 15:17:24)

Kaldenines wrote:

... and give us micro jump drives smile

Is not only for balancing reasons, there was an aesthetic concerns as well according to the Devs. Those walls of soil didn't look very pleasing to the eye , I must admit.

Anyhow I liked the idea of balancing gamma by adding more tools to the game to accomplish the same balance, but I guess it's too late now.

RIP PERPETUUM

Keep terraforming the same as Gamma 1.0

Allow changes within +100/-100 m of original ground tile.
This allows for walls, but not the 1000 m monoliths.
Allows for offensive terraforming.
Makes base location and surrounding terrain actually matter.

Limit terraforming to within 3km of Terminal.
No terraforming within 500m of external coastline.
No terraforming within 2500m of external Teleports

Terraforming fixed.

Cassius wrote:

Most locations require you to terraform before you can set terminal on ground.

Mark Zima wrote:

Terraforming does not mix well with the core PVP game If it is to stay, it has to be separated into something away from PVP.
Look at how Everquest Next did it: they made a separate building/terraforming game (Landmark), where people can claim pieces of land and build whatever.

So, maybe Perpetuum should have separate sets of gamma islands: one for terraforming and another for war.

What's next? Robo pandas?

10 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-04-26 06:38:16)

Goffer wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Most locations require you to terraform before you can set terminal on ground.

Surely there are a handful of creative exceptions that can be made to Terraforming Mechanics for this problem.

Example idea: Prior to any terraforming or putting down any terminal designate an "Anchor" spot. Once designated you can terraform that location freely as if there is an existing Terminal. Balance to avoid exploitation, like not being able to place any other terminal until this one is placed.

Generally I like the idea of 3k limit around terminal for terraforming (or some other reasonable radius). We should be able to freely roam Gamma without being locked out by OP terraforming.

Really the only thing I did not like about terraforming was that you could do it ANYWHERE on the island. Just lease that *** in so island access is always possible and leave it creative for both offense and defense.

--------------

Devs you have so much creative leeway in design of your islands. You can create zones where terraforming is possible and not possible. People can build bases or not or place 3 or 6 terminals as long as it's within the zones. Perhaps Ore and NPCs don't spawn in those zones so you have to go out.

Make it CREATIVE and ACCESSIBLE.

Good luck.

11 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-04-26 06:55:40)

Zone Terraforming Concept

Gamma Terraforming does not have 100% island-wide minus some arbitrary radius limits around teleports or whatever. You Devs do not want to see your ENTIRE islands Terraformed into a *** or some other ungodly monstrosity.

So create the islands of beauty that you desire then within those islands designate areas for terraforming and base design. Some areas are larger than others. Some islands have more area designated than others.

Then don't worry about CPU and Grid constraint calculations, or terminal cap numbers etc. Those are constraints on the old 100% Terraformable island model. On the new Zone Terraform islands there will be no way to create Turtle Island unless your zones overlap coastlines and teleports.

And as long as an invading force can terraform enough into a zone to place a Terminal, well ...Game On!

Does this concept make sense to anyone?

and I swear if some STC guy looks at my name or tag and says this is politically motivated or some *** ...I'll ...uh ...RAGE!

Just give them real walls and gates and *** terraforming

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

13 (edited by Syndic 2014-04-26 12:18:44)

My main issue with terraforming is that it's a timebomb waiting to explode as soon as someone with a brain comes up with a "creative use of game mechanics" method for maximum profit/defense/stuff.

And then we're back to where we were.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

You would have to find some way of having minerals not spawn in unpassable territory to do any of that. There is something fun about having to terraform your mineral field down so you can access it. I would hate to remove that feature. But again I want a mining tower to be needed at any mineral field you mine, not just colixium.

All that being said, I vote for the exact opposite of everything Rage Rex says.... smile

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

But again I want a mining tower to be needed at any mineral field you mine, not just colixium.

All that being said, I vote for everything else Rage Rex says.... smile

Thanks Shadow I knew you'd come around eventually.

I don't like the whole mining tower concept. It just incentives building terminals and defenses around mining spots that could otherwise be roamed. Pirates gotta eat, too.

I am assuming that something will be done to prevent terminal spamming and/or terminal deconstruction. That is really a must...

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2