176 (edited by Gremrod 2014-04-24 20:43:52)

Re: Dev Zoom, please remove location information from killmails API

Doek wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Doek wrote:

I'm arguing on the premise that EVE's system name is equivalent to Perpetuum's coordinates (like constellations are equivalent to islands).

I think this is wrong, and this is how I see it. (IMO) Islands are constellations and island region names would be a system.

Yeah, I see your point. I realize I should've outlined it like this: in EVE, knowing the exact coordinates is about as useful as knowing the system (you'll just want to cover the gates and go from there). Same with Perpetuum; knowing the exact coordinates is about as useful as knowing the sector. Mostly because of the limited amount of pathways, teleports and outposts in a sector. If you ever hope to get something useful out of exact coordinates (which is why we're discussing this), you probably still end up checking out the same pathways, teleports and outposts as if you'd known the sector.

To be honest I find the whole idea of extensive pattern analysis to get a kill laughable at best, but it doesn't hurt to play devil's advocate.

While I agree paths needed to be taken are the same as if you know the cords or not. But the exact cords in perpetuum doesn't equal anything in EVE API killmails. EVE API doesn't say that Pilot died off Plant V - Moon III and it doesn't say that they died at X, Y, Z cords.

I am not worried about pattern analysis used to get a kill.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Well, maybe it's just in my mind that that is pretty much A = B and C = B so A = C?

In other words; you're saying system names in EVE on kills is fine. You're saying Perpetuum sectors are a pretty decent equivalent to EVE's systems. And you agree that operational tactics are the same for sectors and exact coordinates? Paraphrasing here of course.

178 (edited by Gremrod 2014-04-24 21:01:48)

cords would = Moon location, or a POS location in EVE.

I think the following information would be fine.

Island Name / Sector Name

179 (edited by Doek 2014-04-24 21:11:47)

Gremrod wrote:

Without any gameplay related consequences, that would be an extremely nice thing to have in a game like that...

edit: I quoted before you updated your post. With all things being equal, I would prefer the exact coordinates. And it's not just that, attacker's coordinates are there too. Image a 200 man battle projected on something like this ... that'll make people want to say "wow I'd like to play that!"

180 (edited by Gremrod 2014-04-24 21:19:32)

Doek wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

Without any gameplay related consequences, that would be an extremely nice thing to have in a game like that...

edit: I quoted before you updated your post. With all things being equal, I would prefer the exact coordinates. And it's not just that, attacker's coordinates are there too. Image a 200 man battle projected on something like this ... that'll make people want to say "wow I'd like to play that!"

Doek,

I dig your work and what you have done. I really like the idea. I think this is information that the player should be allowed to choose if they want it included when they are the target/victim of a loss that results in a killmail/data push via API to a kill board.

Love the 3D image view of the island for this.....