Re: New devblog: Full Steam ahead

There is no time limit for linking, but you have to own the game on Steam to do so.

There is no time limit for redeeming the game on Steam for current accounts. Basically if you have the option to redeem then you're going to have it indefinitely until you do it.

The only limit is for those who buy the game in our store after the Steam launch. They will not have the option to redeem the game on Steam in the first place.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The only limit is for those who buy the game in our store after the Steam launch. They will not have the option to redeem the game on Steam in the first place.

do i get this right - only existing accounts willb e able to link their accounts to steam,
after steam launch you will either be able to buy the game from steam OR the website directly

the "gift" for the existing account owner is there because they didn't have the choice at the time of purchase?

or does it even mean you want ot discontinue your own webshop for the game itself?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Linking your account with Steam and redeeming Perpetuum on Steam are two different things.

the "gift" for the existing account owner is there because they didn't have the choice at the time of purchase?

That's the point, yes.

Does the STEAM version have any benefits over the stand alone?  Can you run multiple clients simultaneously from STEAM?  I generally avoid STEAM for MMOs as a rule because it seems to often add another layer of potential errors/failure on top of whatever game, although I have a 10+ year old STEAM account.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

No, you can't run multiple clients from Steam, as it is the case with all games under Steam. If you want to run multiple clients, the rest has to be outside of Steam.

The benefits of the Steam client are easier logins, and achievements, if you care for that kind of stuff.

31 (edited by Alexander 2014-04-11 23:15:18)

A few people, most of whom I really don't know, have messaged me on Steam asking how I got Perpetuum before release and that it looks like an awesome game. I am a little blown away as I thought it had all flown under the radar up until this point.

After talking about the game for a while they seem very interested. I've been honest, given them the good, the bad and some of the ugly. When I talked about pricing they all turned away, calling it expensive for them to put down that much money for a game without any trials/demos. I broke down the pricing model, explained the game concept and managed to turn their concerns around. A lot of them said they'd check it out and a few said they'd wait for a deal before buying it (Bloody steam deal culture!)

For the current players who paid 9.99 a month the 29.99 (Or whatever the buying price is) seems reasonable as it's like getting three months game time. However for a new player sticking down that much money based on pictures and peoples opinions may leave a sour taste in mouths of disappointed customers.

New players will benefit more in the long term by activating EP boosters and buying credit to fix EP spending mistakes but they're also being hit by the purchase price. If you want to get more players into the game and keep them I'd suggest not using the "Light at the end of the tunnel" approach to pricing. A long term player is not inclined to buy as much credit given the current items on sales, where as a newer player who wants more EP as fast as possible to get their core levels sorted out (level 5 in basic stats) will be driven to buy boosters.

All I an suggest is going with a 19.99 price point and having someone, even from the community and not a developer, write articles detailing the benefits of buying the game once and it being free forever. Looking at the numbers of other games on Steam, a 19.99 gives you a good position for a massive up to 50% sale possability during the high of the steam sales seasons while relying on educated new players to choose to spend small amounts of booster that they'll later not need.

In total honesty the credit store should not be aimed at new players at all, it should be cosmetic items only like nicknames, paint (if it's cheap enough) and blingy things. If you want to grow the game slowly do so by not heavily advertising, don't make your price into your entry requirements as rich people does not mean smart people.

(P.s. I have been very tempted to just purchase the game for a few of the most interested people that have messaged me about the game just so they'll stop complaining about buying before trying. I sadly cannot afford to do this. sad)

Alexander wrote:

A lot of them said they'd check it out and a few said they'd wait for a deal before buying it (Bloody steam deal culture!)

I don't blame them at all, I follow the same philosophy smile

DEV Zoom wrote:
Alexander wrote:

A lot of them said they'd check it out and a few said they'd wait for a deal before buying it (Bloody steam deal culture!)

I don't blame them at all, I follow the same philosophy smile

I really hope this means you're planning on some nice deals. wink

My previous point still stands that new players are going to be asked to put down a lot of money to start and they are also the ones that gain most from EP point boosters.

Alex we said this when it was announced.  $26.97 or w/e was crazy high.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I love all the theories and suggestions on pricing. I think the Devs have already admitted that they are not even sure how the servers will handle the influx of players.  Maybe they don't want a flood that a lower price would generate.

Rage Rex wrote:

I love all the theories and suggestions on pricing. I think the Devs have already admitted that they are not even sure how the servers will handle the influx of players.  Maybe they don't want a flood that a lower price would generate.

I am very much against price points being the entry level.

"We're worried a 1000 people might buy the game at 19.99 so we best raise it to 29.99 so that only 250 people buy it. When we want more players we'll just drop the price, no one will notice or care!"

The problem is that after buying the game at a higher price and then a few weeks/months later seeing the price drop in a sale just to grab more players I always feel a little disheartened. An idea could be that if the price does ever drop, permanently and not part of a sale, from 29.99 to 19.99 all existing players should be given a little thank you. In this case a tiny amount of credit or a single item from the cash ship.

I always hate it when a company focuses effort on the new players when, in a game like perpetuum, the long term players are the ones who will keep things interesting for the new players.

Its the nature of steam that when you buy something its half price in a month. That's why people wait for sales.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Well, then add something extra to the offer, like an extra 43200 EP (one month EP without booster bonus) and 2400 PC, and make clear, that this offer will only be available for the first steam sale.

Everyone waiting will of course later pay less, but will also get less. wink

http://cheezburger.com/60030721

watch it.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

watch it.

Very cool.

Ville wrote:

watch it.

Very true, now the hard part is applying this model and make it work.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Ville wrote:

watch it.

Paint, for one.

Doek wrote:
Celebro wrote:
Ville wrote:

watch it.

Paint, for one.

paint - questin is "how" ?

will all your robots have the same color when you purchase one
will only a single robot, that should by game design get destroyed very often,
or will it it be somethign you can simply apply?

years ago there was something like the energy credit system announced... i wonder if its still planned to do it that way.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Yeah, just have paint apply to that one robot. No packaging or manufacturing required, just have it as a single-use item.

Then, I would also like a gun of sorts (which you'd have to buy with credits, obviously), that you can fire at any time, which will apply those items to other players on the field. I would also add the original paintjobs on the NPC market, for like 100 NIC, so people can re-apply their original color without repackaging.

I would also like field devices that can be set anywhere, and display a message (like how bookmarks do this, but this should have a detection value) for all to see. Also, let them have a distinct symmetric icon for obvious reasons. Let them last for a day or so.

On Gamma, I see some opportunities here for billboards, signs and such near a corporation's terminal (perhaps requiring colony management roles), lasting indefinitely.

2$ 10 uses

5$ decals (hammer & sickle) 10 uses

Monetize it so ppl are happy to spend money on your game!

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Bullet holes with band-aids on them, $2 for 10 smile

Yes, you guys need to have a steady cash flow so listen to the people here a bit, you will find many good ideas.

As for the price.. $20 is too cheap, make it $30 and give all new players a decent bot to strive for. Give them a decent heavy mech of choice and then they will have even more reason to stay and work for something.

Make use of the steam workshop, you can make people create the decals, while you decide which one goes?

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Toku wrote:

Bullet holes with band-aids on them, $2 for 10 smile

Yes, you guys need to have a steady cash flow so listen to the people here a bit, you will find many good ideas.

As for the price.. $20 is too cheap, make it $30 and give all new players a decent bot to strive for. Give them a decent heavy mech of choice and then they will have even more reason to stay and work for something.

Actually not too bad an idea  - give new starters a mech or HM in their starting corp of choice - but not the ep/extensions .... gives them something to strive for - or sell to improve their wallet at start-up.

Of course a higher purchase price is a good gambol at start-up - if it does not bring in enough response prices can be dropped or special offers made.

I really think the steam release is make or break for perp ... if all goes pear-shaped the devs no longer have the regular income from the vets, and whilst I know the devs are really motivated - how long can they put in so much effort for little return?

I know many people - players and devs place a lot of faith in the steam success - let's just hope it's not the death knell ...

Actually a heavy mech is prolly worth 30-40M on the open market, so it would give them something to strive for but it would also give them the option to sell it for some early starting capital.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Also .....

Why not make the starter island free .... no purchase required - having completed the starter missions and getting ready to TP into the game proper, the new player has to pay the $20/$30 or whatever to actually move on - gives people a 'taster' without having to commit, and if the start experience is interesting enough will lock in account purchases ...