Topic: Suggestion/Discussion: make ewar LOS and AoE

Balfizar wrote:

+1 all ewAr have LOS

So I really liked this idea but thought it would make ewar a bit too vulnerable in large fights where there is a lot of long range dps on the field.

On the other hand what makes pvp in perpetuum great is that positioning and terrain is so important.

So the suggestion is to make ewar effects (ECM and suppression) require line of sight for activation but then be applied in an area of effect around the targeted bot or tile (there could be cool looking animation for it eventually).

The idea is that the ewar mech will have to expose itself temporarily but the ewar ability would be more powerful against a clustered enemy.  This may be particularly effective against setups where each player has one or more follow bots supporting their main character.  Conversely, it would reward people who, for example, use spider rsa between different players (rather than just using a follow bot).

+1
-Confucius

2 (edited by Burial 2012-10-07 14:30:41)

Re: Suggestion/Discussion: make ewar LOS and AoE

Make the effects last a bit longer if just making ewars LOS dependant, so basically: 1. unhide 2. apply e-war 3. hide
It's doable even now.

Your idea is good also but I'm sure there are plenty of drawbacks I can't think of right now. (Like one: How to balance it properly so that it's not too strong when e-waring small area of bots and not too weak when applying it on solo bot: perhaps different modules for single and aoe targets would be best)

3 (edited by Annihilator 2012-10-07 23:57:42)

good that you bring that up. Its funny when you read how Perpetuum is better then EvE because of LoS, though your best manouvering doesn't help you, when your de-mobbed and unable to shoot back at the one doing that to you.

Kaldenines wrote:

So I really liked this idea but thought it would make ewar a bit too vulnerable in large fights where there is a lot of long range dps on the field.

• ECM
    Perpetuum is the only game i know where ECM is as powerfull and an offensive option. Normally its a DEFENSIVE measure. (electronic COUNTER Measures).

If you want to give it AoE - then you should consider this fact. Sensor Jamming could for example not break lock, but create fake targets and decrease weapon accuracy against targets around the ECM user.

This would work "offensive" to bring the fast, close range brawler (nuimqol robots) into their optimal combat distance, and would have dimishing returns the bigger the covered group is (interference, AoE weapons)

• Supression
    The only thing i think that is broken about supression, is the fact that the game is almost unplayable without senser amps fitted, and if your got hit by supression without SA on you, your double ***. SA should be like ECCM a counterfit, not a pro-active one.
    Its ok as single target only, since "interference" is the respective AoE effect wink

personally, i would add an LoS check which makes it work only at 50% effectivity when shot through obstacles.

• Demob
    One of the most anoying factors in PvE and PvP -> there is no real counter to it. Fitting plates will make you slow and hard to repair. That only works for suicide...

Most other game developer know that crowd control effects need to be balanced in way that prevents players to be perma-stunned or frozen.

i would also suggest here that Demob would get LoS check that loweres the effectivity.

• All EWAR
    bring back Falloff for them, after fixing bug that caused the removal of it. make range extending stuff only affect its falloff, not its optimal. especially demobs are on such a low cycletime that it would work with them.

+1 to change something
-1 to simply add LoS

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Take this idea and shove it up your ***.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:

Take this idea and shove it up your ***.

He would still be able to demob you then...even if its up his ***.

Not really sure if something needs to be done, but I do like the idea of having LOS on demobs, just having it so that when your out of LOS its a SMALL drawback.

ECMs are going to be needing tweaking, just because were starting to see some maxed out pilots on the field, suppressors, I see where Anni is coming from on that one.  Make it so you really only need one Amp to be effect in locking time and you would see some improvements.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

If you nerf bat mentality types need adjustments to ECM and suppression strengths that's one thing. But LoS nerf is game changing. *** no to LoS ewar.

Sparking to other games

If you nerf bat mentality types need adjustments to ECM and suppression strengths that's one thing. But LoS nerf is game changing. *** no to LoS ewar.

Sparking to other games

added a point up there. Back in early beta, Demobs had a falloff, which was a little bit bugged.

instead of reducing the effect towards the maximum range, it was increased. fixing such a small error should be easy...

@Merkle: Rex seems to be one of those "soon maxed" ones wink.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ADD LOS TO ECM OR SUPPRESSORS.

They do need to be slightly adjusted, and I mean slightly IE: 5 Percent at high levels.  *Tuners need adjusted as well.

Start Small then if needed nerf more.
I don't see a real benefit to adding LOS to suppressors or ECM.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Divide them on 2 class - light and medium. Adjust Medium ones, same as mech/hmech resistance accordingly. We have EnWar divided in such way, why we don't have ecm/supressing aswell?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

11 (edited by Annihilator 2012-10-08 08:27:22)

Line wrote:

Divide them on 2 class - light and medium. Adjust Medium ones, same as mech/hmech resistance accordingly. We have EnWar divided in such way, why we don't have ecm/supressing aswell?

because for a strange reason (its that way in EVE?), EWAR modules are sizeless HEADSLOT modules.

12 (edited by Line 2012-10-08 08:35:53)

Headslot modules can be divided and limited by CPU/Reactor requirements instead of weight.

Upd.: now, seriously, how DEVs are positioning this game? As a EvE on the ground? Cuz if not, there is no need to copy-paste features from EvE.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

so flippin -1

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

Annihilator wrote:

@Merkle: Rex seems to be one of those "soon maxed" ones wink.

Lol ... Like PvP, Gamma, and any bot other than an Arhke you comment on things you know nothing of  .....

Ewar bots by nature are fragile, even shielded ones (remember Anni in PvP other players may actually deploy Ictuses, unlike NPCs) ... They need their modules to be non dependant on LoS to be useful.

15 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-04-16 22:09:47)

\\\\_  BY THE POWER OF NECROMANCY!  _////

The thing that doesn't seem right about ECM mechanics at the moment is that it's a lock and push "I win (maybe) button".  It would be good if ewar was a force multiplier instead.

What about an AoE pulse once locked onto a tile without a LOS requirement?  Obviously the <EDIT>energy consumption,</EDIT> strength, range, radius and firing rate would need to be adjusted accordingly so this is not suggested as either a buff or nerf, just a change in mechanics.

This would also further inconvenience people who use follow bots either by multitasking on two screens or using some macro/software.

+1
-Confucius

Merkle wrote:

They do need to be slightly adjusted, and I mean slightly IE: 5 Percent at high levels.  *Tuners need adjusted as well.

I love to see Merkle flip flopping on issues.  It amuses me.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

-1, might as well remove ECM from the game. Like cargo scanners.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Your troll-fu my CIR friend, it is getting rusty...

+1
-Confucius

Last time I trolled someone feelings were hurt, squad was dropped, relations were flipped, and I got a stabbed voodoo doll in the mail after 2 days.

I've since taken courses in trollage-management.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

worst idea ever

Long range and short range ecm modules just like demob. Long range need los and short don't.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Ville wrote:
Merkle wrote:

I love to see Merkle flip flopping on issues.  It amuses me.

They still needed nerfed, not LOS.

It doesn't make sense to have LOS with them. 

Successful Troll Is successful!

Actually the best way to do this would be adding in racial ECM's.  With Multi Factions at lower rates.

Tuners still need balanced correctly.  ( Really in favor of Stacking Penalty for everything would fix alot of issues.)
They do need a small nerf, not crazy hack and slash crazy stuff.

But my small nerf and your small nerf might be reality vs crazy.  Who Knows.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

mm yeah like EVE racial ewar stuff

not the worst idea ever

It just works perfect, while adding in the necessary balance.

Would rebalance tuners as well.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

i made a post about some Ewar ideas a while ago but cant find it again. Basic idea was to brake Ewar into 2 types.

Short Range & Long Range like demobs.

short range no LOS

Long range LOS

the thing i couldnt work out as to what was more balanced was if short range was less powerful & long range more powerful but you have LOS issues to contend with so being able to use it effectively would be hard.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue