76 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-04-13 22:55:09)

Re: Dissapearing NPC's

I can already see the NPC gate-camp tactic working.

Step 1: Get a tanky bot such as a Tyranos Mk2.
Step 2: Drag red NPCs under a static teleport.
Step 3: When someone jumps in, wait for them to start moving off the teleport and then jump out.
Step 4: Harvest tears.

Edit: maybe I should not have shared that idea...

+1
-Confucius

Yeah it's totally groundbreaking nobody else thought of it.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

78 (edited by Stream 2014-04-13 23:09:14)

Same could also be used with mobile port, just set it up in advance in a busy area/chokepoint.

A few groups doing that could basically block access to a terminal/port until someone comes along with enough DPS to kill the reds.

My suggestion: have red NPCs follow their primary target through teleports. By teleporting after it. If target enters terminal or leaves zone then leash.

Regarding the issue of NPCs (re)spawning at their point unexpectedly. If a red spawn is completely empty (either because the NPCs are dead or teleporting back after leash) then a mini-beacon (that does nothing but shows on radar) should appear for a few min and the NPCs pop after.

So if I have this straight, Devs think it's a good idea to make NPCs follow a player for an unlimited distance AND red NPCs currently attack anyone in range

This is soooo greifer friendly I have to assume you want to introduce some griefing into Alpha. That's not a terrible thing as content is content. But if you are not wanting to see new little Steamlings in their miners being eaten alive by NPCs led around by greifers, then you need to rethink.

But if you want to discourange AFK mining even more, then this could help, especially if the griefer can take the loot from that afk Riv mk2.

Hmmmmm, the more I think about this the more I like it. I may have to log in and test this ...see how many AFK miners tears I can harvest.

Kaldenines wrote:

Step 3: When someone jumps in, wait for them to start moving off the teleport and then jump out.

NPCs don't attack you until you have molecular instability (this is somewhere in the patch notes I just can't be bothered to find it), so plenty of time to escape to the other side if you find yourself trapped.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:

NPCs don't attack you until you have molecular instability (this is somewhere in the patch notes I just can't be bothered to find it), so plenty of time to escape to the other side if you find yourself trapped.

Yes, trapped now on the other side, away from your destination. Grief successful.

Rage Rex wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:

Yes, trapped now on the other side, away from your destination. Grief successful.

This. If you have made a game where the objecive is to 'don't do stuff' because players can *** block 80% of the content, don't be surprised that nobody is playing.

Ioci wrote:
Rage Rex wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

This. If you have made a game where the objecive is to 'don't do stuff' because players can *** block 80% of the content, don't be surprised that nobody is playing.

And the other 20% go to the forums and make up lies to prove their point.

Good thing we have interzone teleports I suppose.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Good thing we have interzone teleports I suppose.

I knew all along that was a scam to get infinite supplies for your sikrit player-account!

... Might have to introduce you to communism.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I honestly think, Dev Zoom actually never played this game before.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Tund Bungler wrote:
Ioci wrote:
Rage Rex wrote:

And the other 20% go to the forums and make up lies to prove their point.

Ok.

My apologies. Didn't mean to create drama. Working as intended.

Just my opinion, nothing more. This game will be shut down in a year.

In all seriousness though, I bet it must be really fun gameplay to get hammered by NPCs next to a teleport for hours while you wait for someone to finally come through so you can get... what exactly? There are a hundred other ways to grief people and you still get along, now you realized there is plus one.

DEV Zoom wrote:

In all seriousness though, I bet it must be really fun gameplay to get hammered by NPCs next to a teleport for hours while you wait for someone to finally come through so you can get... what exactly? There are a hundred other ways to grief people and you still get along, now you realized there is plus one.

So you can get threads like this apparently.

DEV Zoom wrote:

This guy dropped 1.5 bil worth of loot, it was pretty fun

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

DEV Zoom wrote:

I've never had NPC's come up on a teleport gate. I've deployed a few times to mobs but just went back in.

My complaint was in the Alpha1 and Alpha2 tactics to disrupt mining. I saw the research inteface, I used up some of the points, I can make a variety of items up to T3 and can make a modest amount of Bots. I just can't get enoughmaterials to actually do it because half an hour in to a mining op, someone rolls by with a train of reds behind them.

It seems its all in my head though and it isn't really happening so I will be quiet about it from now on.

Ioci wrote:

My complaint was in the Alpha1 and Alpha2 tactics to disrupt mining.

You can't do this on Alpha1 and it will be harder to do on Alpha2 after the next patch, as I explained before.

I don't understand why rats don't rubber and back to their spawn if they are too far away, just like before.

Problem solved.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ioci wrote:

My complaint was in the Alpha1 and Alpha2 tactics to disrupt mining.

You can't do this on Alpha1 and it will be harder to do on Alpha2 after the next patch, as I explained before.

Thank you.

When I log in to the forum and skim, see the generic attack trash I go in to auto ignore and go on the offensive so I missed the patch reply.

DEV Zoom wrote:

They do not have to just wait. For example:
- drag spawn to one of Tellesis interzone ports
- proclaim in general that anyone coming to Tellesis from X direction must take the long way around or tank Y spawn.
- engage in chat pvp with all the people blocked

It is not about waiting in ambush for random player, it is about going "you shall not pass" in a place that many people want/need to pass (and have been able to before). And no I would not expect anyone to selflessy go and clear the port.

Having slept on it, here is a new version of my suggestion for a long term fix regarding Red NPCs (on alpha, but I suppose it could work on other islands too):
1 instead of a single target, NPCs should have a target list up to the target limit of the bot
2 the first player to aggro the NPC is the Primary Target (PT) and locked as such whenever possible
3 players that lock the NPC as a target become its Secondary Targets (ST) and are locked as such whenever possible
4 players that are in proximity to an NPC when it has a PT are ignored, unless 3 applies
5 when PT dies or cannot be detected then a random ST is chosen to become new PT
6 when an NPC that had anything in its target list no longer has anything in it, and no players have it locked (so 3 could be applied) then NPC leashes
7 if NPC leashes by walking back then it ignores proximity aggro for a minute or two - concentrated on getting back into position
8 if NPC leashes by porting back then it gets NPC version of instability - it cannot move, will not aggro and cannot be targeted for 2 minutes or so - this gives surprised players time to escape spawn area. Optionally, same could be applied to red NPCs spawning in a completely empty spawn point.

Points 6, 7, 8 are the important ones, rest are nice to have and can be delayed.

... or they can just turn the red ones on Alpha 2 orange, and call it a day. big_smile

Jita wrote:

I don't understand why rats don't rubber and back to their spawn if they are too far away, just like before.

Problem solved.

As far as i understood it, they haven't been satisfied how you could farm npcs from the edge of their rubberband-range, where they just went back and forth, lock and unlock the player farming them.
Thats ought to happen when you make the NPC AI binary and with the memory span of a fly (zero).

It also creates an infinite pathfinding loop when they switch from player <> spawn point as target every few milliseconds.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Solishian wrote:

... or they can just turn the red ones on Alpha 2 orange, and call it a day. big_smile

Why do you want Easy Mode ALL THE TIME.  Jesus, play the game some and enjoy the challenges presented!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Jita wrote:

Problem solved.

Pretty much this. There has to be a better way. Maybe once the NPCs hit their boundry, they fall back while still attempting to attack the player?

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

I just think this entire change to NPC behaviour has been a swing and a miss.
Revert it back to where they rubber band.

I get a lot of new players running missions asking questions about whether its profitable or not. I recommend them only to run missions for sparks or rep, as a viable reliable source of income it is not.

I think you guys are forgetting how players play mmos, sometimes, and I will be specific with EvE comparisons.
They grind the *** outta Lvl 4 missions, kill rats on belts, run complexes.

Endlessly. For money, for shiny, for gear. This is 75% of their player base that does it, day in and day out.
And individuals can do these activities as well as fleets.

You are on the verge and even at the beginning of a influx of new players. You guys know the importance of this influx. Most of these players have the grind mentality, the "missions are content" mentality. The current mission system offers a painfully slow advancement, slow enough to probably force players away from the game. Not having reliable spawns that can be farmed consistently also cuts into the "grinders" income, bye bye sub.

I'm not one who wants it easy. I wouldnt have one orange NPC in game, period. But the chain the NPCs had was sufficent to create an event for a player, he can approach the area, do his thing and get out. And make money, get items, advance.

Its balance. And its way out of wack right now.  You need to feed the masses, If its too easy they will get fat and lazy, If its impossible to get the food, they will look elsewhere. Its your dollar at stake. Fix this