Topic: Zoom into 1st person view

As in the subject.
Because it is occasionally useful to look up. And I honestly like the scenery.
And allowing to zoom into 1st person view is probably simpler to implement and less controversial than reworking the camera/ground collision in 3rd person view.

Re: Zoom into 1st person view

+1 this would be a nice thing to have smile

But i doubt if the DEVs will do it sad

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

At first I thought this was about Dev Zoom. big_smile

On topic: With the terraforming window you can look any camera angles.

RIP PERPETUUM

I'm not sure you thought this through with the fixed torso orientation while locking something, and the general usefulness of being constricted into a 1st person view in this game. I'm curious how exactly you imagine this?

Added zoom level, where the robot model disappears and the camera obviously starts to behave like it's 1st person. The height of the camera should be set up so you can determine if the guns will hit obstacles or not. Zooming out a level will restore the camera.

Doek: sure I understand that, but how does the connection look like between the (walking) orientation of the robot, the orientation of the torso (which rotates around on the legs as you might know), and the rotation of the camera viewpoint?

In other words: how do you know which way you're walking and which way you're looking? I think you all conveniently forget that we're not a first person shooter game smile

Well, exactly how the camera behaves now, right? I would simply ignore the 'looking' state of the torso.

Doek wrote:

Well, exactly how the camera behaves now, right? I would simply ignore the 'looking' state of the torso.

If you stand still which way is forward then, and which view do you ignore?

RIP PERPETUUM

Direction you are running in is forward, and the way the "head" faces along with the guns when you are locking/shooting someone is ignored.
I assume that is what Doek means.

Khetar wrote:

Direction you are running in is forward, and the way the "head" faces along with the guns when you are locking/shooting someone is ignored.
I assume that is what Doek means.

no, doek means that it should make no difference how the camera acts, just that its located at the robot had and can look upwards.
AFAIK camera turning into walking direction is optional in the options.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Well there has to be a difference because right now you are moving the camera eye, with the target fixed on your robot, and in 1st person view it would be the camera that's fixed and you move the camera target around.

I'm still not entirely convinced that this would be very useful (lots of turning around due to the narrowed-down view), not to mention that it wouldn't be that pretty due to the low resolution ground textures being very close to your viewpoint.

Download and try Fallen Earth (not an advertisement!). See how they did it there. Implement the same.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Last time I checked Fallen Earth IS an FPS-style game with twitch-based gameplay (ie. you shoot where you look), I don't quite see how the two can be compared.

14 (edited by Stream 2014-04-10 19:15:18)

How I imagine it:

Right click drag to move camera target.

Free look when there is no primary target, camera does not auto turn by default, but could be set to turn in the direction of movement - but this is overridden by next point.

When there is a primary target, camera target is locked on it. Camera can still be turned, but will auto-return when right click released - like the radar currently works.

For movement, WASD can be used to move forward/backward/sideways/combinations-of-previous. Just like in a FPS, with the difference that robot legs will turn into the direction of movement but being in 1st person view the player does not (much) care.

Doubleclick to move would still work as before.

Optionally "autorun sideways/backwards" could also be added, this could be useful in all camera modes.

Regarding the ground textures, those who do not like them can always zoom back out. Besides more detailed ground textures would also help show the supposed scale of the bots *subtle hint*

Alright, I won't say this is really high on our list right now but we'll keep it in mind.

while your at it, any way you could make the camera zoom out further then it does now?  Maybe something on par with the TFing plan view?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Last time I checked Fallen Earth IS an FPS-style game with twitch-based gameplay (ie. you shoot where you look), I don't quite see how the two can be compared.

There you can switch between common FPS style and Perpetuum-style control while playing, by pressing Tab or whatever that button is.

The only problem may occur - is targel locking (I'm not quite sure how did they implemented that, didn't played for long). But at first time it can be leaved "as-is", then later non-target mode can be combined with hybrid robots, module critting, etc etc.

Really promising change, think about that.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

DEV Zoom wrote:

Alright, I won't say this is really high on our list right now but we'll keep it in mind.

No problem, did not expect it to have priority, especially at this time.

Also, after sleeping on it, a further refinement on how moving camera view affects bot direction:

- when no primary target and (not moving or in manual (WASD) movement mode), turning the camera turns both torso and legs - changing direction of movement

- when no primary target and (in autorun or autopath mode), turning the camera only turns torso - not changing direction of movement

- When primary target locked, turning the camera does not turn bot at all

While this may seem confusing, the existing camera mode already has a variation of it. Turning camera in autorun mode changes direction of movement, but in autopath mode it does not.