Topic: Missions

Any chance we can go back to selecting the exact missions again?

Liked the missions complimenting what im doing rather than dictating what I do ect.

2 (edited by Martha Stuart 2014-04-11 01:35:16)

Re: Missions

I think the reason they changed it to the current system was because that is precisely what they are trying to avoid.  It was too easy to abuse the mission system the way it was before.  Basically, if they went back to the old system, it would be tokengate all over again.

Plus there is supposed to be a large expansion to the mission system/PVE system coming after steam launch.  The system we have now, is mainly the skeleton of a larger system yet to come.

Optimistic Ah Martha?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

the front end was changed,
now they have to change the backend of missions - and somehow find a way to NOT to turn the main game from "eve with robots" into "korean grind f2p mmo with tit-less robots".

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

the front end was changed,
now they have to change the backend of missions - and somehow find a way to NOT to turn the main game from "eve with robots" into "korean grind f2p mmo with tit-less robots".

You do realize this could be solved by simply adding tits.

To robots.

Personally I would not mind the random selection if the industrial/transport missions were more explicit on whether they will involve being shot at.

Speaking of tits, have you seen the kain yet?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Despite the abuse, selecting your mission was not the root cause of the abuse. I really liked selecting missions though.

The randomization just made it worse than it was, as it's just half done, and I know. You are forced to spin the roulette and hope you have the right items fittings at your disposal on hands, and do some of that long walking time little reward missions we all despise.

I don't like it at all, the way it has been left for Steam release. sad

RIP PERPETUUM

8 (edited by Annihilator 2014-04-11 21:47:31)

i have not much experience with the new mission system yet, but the one transport mission i took on attalica, made me almost lose my sequer MK2 with medium shields...

how much impact would such a mission have on a relative new player?

everytime you interact with one of the mission nodes, a group of demobbing npcs spawns, full aggro and and not slow either...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

random? you mean there is more than one assignment that is repeated? wow RNG really don't work in this game! roll

“I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.”

Whitesnake wrote:

random? you mean there is more than one assignment that is repeated? wow RNG really don't work in this game! roll

RNG doesn't work in places where only one of that mission type exists. AFAIK the mission change didn't add anything new, just changed the selection process.
And as far as i remember, some places had only a very limited number of missions availiable.

Mission implemention means alot of DEV time in themepark style. You have to write a mission text, create mission objectives. Place the NPC spawner on terrain and make sure that the effort/reward ratio is in line with the same mission on the other two islands that have to have the same mission. (i know, they failed with the last part in the past)

it sounds easy on paper, but when i look at that 80 man DEV team at Red5 and how slow they are at that kind of task, and compare it with the 1 DEV they have for mission here, that is also CM, GM, Support, Forum Moderator, etc. ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vf2sDgeu7k

11 (edited by Stream 2014-04-12 21:49:36)

Annihilator wrote:

i have not much experience with the new mission system yet, but the one transport mission i took on attalica, made me almost lose my sequer MK2 with medium shields...

how much impact would such a mission have on a relative new player?

everytime you interact with one of the mission nodes, a group of demobbing npcs spawns, full aggro and and not slow either...

The spawned ambushes are much harder than a static spawn with same NPCs would be. Because of the way aggro (at least for oranges) works.

As a result, industry/transport missions can be as dangerous as same level combat missions. This really shouldn't be the case, I think.
Some of those missions have no combat and there are no reliable indicators whether an industry/transport mission will have combat other than writing down the mission names. Which makes it hard to use the right bot/equipment.

12 (edited by Stranger Danger 2014-04-12 23:29:16)

The concept of roaming mobs is ok, it has its place...however...

there needs to be good locations to drop a can and farm, available for every type of robot and skill level.

Also, hunting roaming mobs is walking intensive...as youll soon hear from the steamlings...this will be a major issue given that one of the games biggest issues is the amount of down time walking.

My point of this topic however, is that in a sandbox like this, I feel having an arbitrary system dictating what to farm via missions is lame.

Im not saying they shouldn't exist perhaps, but right now combat PVE is lacking, and I do miss the predictable mission locations, where I can drop a can go farm them and make some tokens on the side

I honestly feel that perhaps the alpha islands need more beefing up of PVE combat stuff...farming...not run around activating items and going on a goose chase....anything that will minimize the loathing players will have in knowing that they are about to walk for 20min before doing something fun.

Oh and I think mobs roaming a giant circle is meh...id like to see static robot factories with defenses and static mobs, then NPC resource supply depots, also guarded, and caravans going too and from...

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

any bets on how many Steamlings will be complaining about how long it takes to get around this game ?

DEVs fix the Tp & HWY networks. Stop trying to do band aid fixes with mobile TP's

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

14 (edited by Solishian 2014-04-13 10:56:57)

New players wont have those mobile teleporters, they start with 20k NIC, that will be used for extensions and ammo, and after that, they have to get NIC through assignments first.
And nobody will threw out 50k for some teleporter, when the first assignments only give back something like 20-40k, and even if you are lucky with reactor plasma drops, you will still have to pay for repairs and new ammo...
Besides the costs for these teleporter, 2u for one teleporter is pretty huge for new players and the robot they can use.

Why even put enemies into those industrial/transport missions?
Just let them have a little bit longer way to cover with some stations to check. Since you dont get anything to shoot (and loot...), and you have a longer journey, this should keep the balance between the industrial/transport and combat missions.

And change the locations of the missions according to their level, meaning, 0 should be right around the corner of the Alpha 1 Terminals somewhere, 1 a little bit farer away, and 2 even a bit more farer away.
Same with 3 and 4 on the Alpha 2 Terminals, 3 is more or less nearer by, to give you an easy start on that island and 4 will be farer away again.

Mentioned it before in another thread, just see the main terminals as center of the island, and all roads and teleports should go from there to the edges/teleports to other islands.
Put along these roads the new locations for missions, and put in some more missions for every island too.

+1 on the idea on giving agressive robots a real purpose, instead of just having them running around and banging anything that comes onto their path.
An npc controlled outpost or factory could add some spice to the rather stale PvE too, gather some friends and see how an attack on those buggers will work out for you, and may be even get some sweet loot... or your *** kicked hard. big_smile

what is the concept behind "search for artifact and deliver it" in battle missions and "destroy some bots" in delivery missions?
http://savepic.net/5434475.htm

16 (edited by oaisdj98asd 2014-05-08 11:23:05)

/del

+1 for selecting missions.

Selecting missions is too easy to abuse, keep it out.

I miss my golden triangle for rep grinding ;/

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

I still haven't got over losing all my standings...  1 month of counselling from Jita and I still cry everytime I login lol