Topic: New devblog: Full Steam ahead

Of course you knew it already, but the official Steam launch announcement is here. Also in the news: gamma reset details and Twitch integration!

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … eam-ahead/

Re: New devblog: Full Steam ahead

So do I get an extra free account, if I connect my account to Steam or do you mean the one I connect is the free one?

RIP PERPETUUM

You don't get an extra account, you will use your existing one and log in with that from the Steam client.

4 (edited by Celebro 2014-04-10 18:18:51)

From blog: 'receive a free copy of the game on Steam'

<- so this is my free copy? But this one was not free, already payed for it hmm . OK, sorry the way it was worded was confusing.

RIP PERPETUUM

Well it's free because otherwise you would need to buy it again on Steam if you want to have it there.

Zoom, if someone purchases through steam will their account be any different from an non-steam account?
Are they interchangeable? Does it matter which client you use?

Alexander wrote:

Zoom, if someone purchases through steam will their account be any different from an non-steam account?

If you buy the game on Steam, you get an automatically generated account that you can only use from Steam (through your Steam user), simply because there is no email+password pair for that. So no, they are not interchangeable, but there is no difference besides this.

On the other hand, normal accounts registered on our website can be used in the normal game client, as well as in the Steam client, provided you link your Perpetuum and Steam accounts, and you own the game on Steam.

8 (edited by Alexander 2014-04-10 20:22:26)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Alexander wrote:

If you buy the game on Steam, you get an automatically generated account that you can only use from Steam (through your Steam user), simply because there is no email+password pair for that. So no, they are not interchangeable, but there is no difference besides this.

On the other hand, normal accounts registered on our website can be used in the normal game client, as well as in the Steam client, provided you link your Perpetuum and Steam accounts, and you own the game on Steam.

I am really happy you guys are getting on to steam but I really dislike the disjointed nature of the way it is being handled.

I can't give you any better options or suggestions as no other company seems to be able to do it any better. A few companies do offer a 'migration' service to move away from steam but it is not automatic and requires having a valid reason for no longer wanting to auth through steam to play.

** Ninja Edit: I just installed the steam client and it installed in seconds. I then launched the game and my virus scanner decided this would be the first game I have ever installed from steam to scan (Causing the application to crash). After re-running the client through steam it works successfully. Not sure what you guys are doing different from other steam games but my virus scanner did not like it **

"Those who already own the game are now able to link their Perpetuum and Steam accounts on our website and receive a free copy of the game on Steam."

yea your wording on it is terrible.   Since all of our accounts are already free, the way you worded it implies that you will receive another account free.   Try not to use google translate.

Gooma wrote:

"Those who already own the game are now able to link their Perpetuum and Steam accounts on our website and receive a free copy of the game on Steam."

yea your wording on it is terrible.   Since all of our accounts are already free, the way you worded it implies that you will receive another account free.   Try not to use google translate.

What they said makes sense when you understand the separation between Perpetuum accounts and Steam purchases.

Sadly because of the recent "Free account forever" thing they've got going on saying a "free copy of Perpetuum on steam" does not sound very free when you understand what it means.

What (if any) are the benefits for linking my perp account to my steam account?
Can I link more than one perp account to my steam account?

Will AC ever allow a single log in for multiple accounts ?
Can I buy Perp Credits through My Steam wallet ?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:

What (if any) are the benefits for linking my perp account to my steam account?

One benefit I can think of is that you don't have to enter your password ever again when logging in, because it uses Steam's authentication. Linked accounts are displayed in a dropdown on the login screen, and you only have to select one and click login. (We're talking about the Steam client here, just to be clear.)

Tux wrote:

Can I link more than one perp account to my steam account?

Yes.

Tux wrote:

Will AC ever allow a single log in for multiple accounts ?

Practically Steam linking does this, though I'm not sure this is how you mean it.

Tux wrote:

Yes, when using the Steam client, clicking on "get more" will use Steam wallet/Steam transactions.

13 (edited by Alexander 2014-04-10 21:17:12)

DEV Zoom wrote:

*Snip snip*

Tux wrote:

Yes, when using the Steam client, clicking on "get more" will use Steam wallet/Steam transactions.

This is a pretty cool idea! Are you doing this before steam requires you to pass all micro-transactions through their system or because you believe this will result in more people feeling safer?
Buying credit using the steam payment system, which they will have done to buy their entire game library seems a lot safer from a consumer standpoint than trusting a slightly less known company with credit card details.

Alexander wrote:

This is a pretty cool idea! Are you doing this before steam requires you to pass all micro-transactions through their system or because you believe this will result in more people feeling safer?

Simple convenience, but there is also a link to our store in the same window.

15 (edited by Alexander 2014-04-10 21:31:38)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Simple convenience, but there is also a link to our store in the same window.

I have now linked two accounts to Steam and this has worked perfectly. Now I run into the question, "how on earth does a Steam only account login to the website/forums"?

I have linked my accounts to steam so now I expected there to be a link with "Steam Login" as I have seen on other websites but I can't find it. Huh?

(Loving the multiple accounts on the steam client for easy switching, shame you can only run 1 steam client at a time.)

AWESOME !!!

Thanks Zoom

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Oh no the first Review on the steam page is from the biggest troll ever. Ouch to all new players to read what Jasdemi wrote.

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website

Alexander wrote:

Now I run into the question, "how on earth does a Steam only account login to the website/forums"?

I have linked my accounts to steam so now I expected there to be a link with "Steam Login" as I have seen on other websites but I can't find it. Huh?

This will come soon enough, don't worry smile

I want pink robot!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Yes.

i was hoping for details on Gamma changes sad

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

i was hoping for details on Gamma changes sad

changes? i thought the thing that will happen is - shut the islands servers down until changes are done.
and before that, the changes need to be decided, implemented, tested.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Is there a time limit before this linking offer expires? 

Is there any potential down-side to linking your existing accounts to steam? 

Will there be implications for running multiple clients at the same time?

The words "This action cannot be undone." make me slightly nervous.

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

Is there a time limit before this linking offer expires?

No, but it only works with accounts that were created before the Steam launch.

Kaldenines wrote:

Is there any potential down-side to linking your existing accounts to steam?

Well, you can't link it to another one then. Other than that, no, I can't think of any.

Kaldenines wrote:

Will there be implications for running multiple clients at the same time?

Not more than the usual, although you can't do it with Steam.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

I meant to ask, do I have to decide about linking now or will the option, on currently existing accounts, still be available after the Steam launch?

+1
-Confucius