1 (edited by Cassius 2014-04-10 20:30:46)

Topic: Wtf? Something wrong?

Hmm all 3 of my clients downloaded a 1.93 mb update, and then promptly returned me to desktop. any attempt to reconnect returns me to desktop swiftly. Just now. I guess I will reboot my comp and see if it changes.

Edit: Reboot did nothing but teammate on TS said to run the client as administrator. Strange. Seems to work now.

Re: Wtf? Something wrong?

Prior to this patch when was the last time you launched the client?
Worst case you can probably delete some of the smaller settings and that may fix the issue for you.

Same thing here, all clients crashed to desktop after the update, but they seem to work if run as admin. I bet the patch brought a lil bug with him

I got this as well. Only on one client though so I was able to paste out and replace with the healthy client.

5 (edited by Alexander 2014-04-11 07:25:40)

Just patched the non-steam client and the patch did freeze for a few seconds, close and reopen but it only took longer than normal rather than not happening at all.

** EDIT: It appears that the issue is with the Perpetuum.exe file rather than a corruption with any of the data files **

First try running the game with admin rights (Which it really shouldn't need, grr)

If running with admin rights does not fix the issue then deleting the peretuum.exe, reinstalling perpetuum and relaunching should work. It should/will be able to detect the existing data files and use them (After checking they're a match) saving you a hefty download process.

The last time I logged I was this morning, about 5 hours ago. With no issues.

Cassius wrote:

The last time I logged I was this morning, about 5 hours ago. With no issues.

All I can really suggest is the above, move the gbf files to another directory temporarily and run the client again. Move 1 file at a time and start with the smaller file first. That way you have the best chance of working out what corrupted.

This bug annoys me as well particularly because it doesn't happen anywhere I tried before.

Unfortunately I'll be needing some hands-on testing so if you have this problem and can try to catch me on IRC and we can have a nice long steamy sensual debug session.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

DEV Gargaj wrote:

This bug annoys me as well particularly because it doesn't happen anywhere I tried before.

Unfortunately I'll be needing some hands-on testing so if you have this problem and can try to catch me on IRC and we can have a nice long steamy sensual debug session.

Damn it, I've never wanted a bug to happen to be before.

Same here tried deleting gbf file, did not work? This is the 2nd day in a row this error has happened to me,( download finished then crash to desktop) after a patch. The only way I got it to run again was to uninstall then re-install Perpetuum?

Cassius wants the D.  Debugging that is.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

this has happened to 2 of my clients. i havnt tried the 3rd client yet. but im guessing it will get the same bug lol. i think ill save it for later big_smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

13 (edited by Maalyn the Manic 2014-04-11 00:59:36)

Same thing just happened to me when I was getting the 1.93 MB update. Update completed, went to connect, hung for a few seconds, then promptly CTD with a "Windows detected that this program did not run correctly" window.
I then went to launch the game again (have the icon on desktop) and it froze for a few seconds @ upon connection attempt then CTD again w/o the window.
I finally right-clicked on icon and hit 'run as admin' & game launched properly w/o any issues.     

This game has (to my knowledge) always been buggy when it comes to patches and still has a long way to go b4 it's completely stable. Hope this helps other people if they have issues w/ the update, and from what I seen so far, this game needs all the help it can get.

BTW, does anybody how one can post pics on here? I'd like to upload a pic the error window I got...

Maalyn the Manic wrote:

BTW, does anybody how one can post pics on here? I'd like to upload a pic the error window I got...

Upload it to imgur or some other host and post the link.

if it hasn't already been stated, run your clients in Admin mode.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … in-rights/

DEV Gargaj wrote:

When the client does a patch, it always closes the client and relaunches the client. This time around, you don't get the second launch and each time you open the client, it says, patch complete, closes to relaunch but never relaunches.

Admin launch works and you only need to right click the exe as admin once so there might be a permissions issue with appying the patch.

For me it happend on two accounts, for one I started replacing .gbf, but finally it was the perpettum.exe that needs to be replaced to work, for second account just replacing exe was fine.

Based on feedback I have updated my advise post to suggest delete the .exe and leaving the data files alone.

Also included a suggestion to run with admin mode however this does not seem to be required for every run, just patching? o.o

This happened to me during the last two patches.
Failed update produces perpetuum-exereplacer.exe (or similarly named file) in the perpetuum folder. The fix is simply to run this file. No need to delete anything, run as admin, etc.

The same fix was mentioned in another topic about this bug: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ual-patch/

Please, again, if you have this problem and have some spare time for a debugging session, find me.

I think I may have figured out what is causing this issue and how to fix it for until the Dev's can fix their side of the problem.

(Windows 7 Users)
In order to remedy this problem click Start > Control Panel > Change View at the top right hand corner of the window to Small or Large Icons > Click User Accounts > Click Change User Account Control Settings > Move the toggle bar all the way down to the bottom. Reboot

(Windows 8 Users)

Click Start button, and then click Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings. Move the toggle bar all the way down to the bottom. Reboot

By disabling this it has no real adverse effect on your computer unless your in a Domain environment, which I would assume none of you are. Anyways, once you complete this, reboot your computer for the new permissions to take effect and then give it a try. If this does not solve it for you please post here so the Dev's know. I hope this helps, if not feel free to private message me and I will be happy to help if I can.

Just my 2 cents. So I had my clients run as administrator before this patch, right. Then patch downloaded, okie. Client said that "seems it was installed wrong earlier but now should be fine, restart" and just quits silently. Well hey I've restarted got the same. (sidenote: each try it was downloading that patch again and again). Soon I've realised that I don't see that pop-up window, like "allow this application to run as afministrator, ok/not ok" (or whatever the text is), so I've checked the settings and BAM! that lil' checkbox was unchecked. Turning it back solved the problem.

Windows 7 if anything.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Just my 2 cents. So I had my clients run as administrator before this patch, right. Then patch downloaded, okie. Client said that "seems it was installed wrong earlier but now should be fine, restart" and just quits silently. Well hey I've restarted got the same. (sidenote: each try it was downloading that patch again and again). Soon I've realised that I don't see that pop-up window, like "allow this application to run as afministrator, ok/not ok" (or whatever the text is), so I've checked the settings and BAM! that lil' checkbox was unchecked. Turning it back solved the problem.

Windows 7 if anything.

Following my instructions will keep you from ever having to mess with that again.

The solution is indeed to start the client in admin mode for the time being.

The problem arose from an oversight I made during the compiler switch and I'm sorry about that - with the next patch (next week-ish) it'll be all back to normal - provided that you do the admin-mode update with that one last time.

Yah I had issues after the update.  I had to recopy my links to the game.exe files.  Was a pain till I ran as admin and everything worked again.