Re: Dev Zoom, please remove location information from killmails API

As I see it, if we were so paranoid as some of you guys here, there wouldn't be an API in the first place.

102 (edited by Syndic 2014-04-09 22:14:05)

Hey, if this particular paranoid guy wasn't around then you guys might still be living in blissful ignorance thinking M2S is just super-organized and good at using the market to produce endless streams of "stuff". lol

Then there was that moment when the paranoid guy said moving from 1km to 2km would produce nothing but bigger teleport walls, but that time you didn't listen. Now you gotta wipe 2 years of Gamma. lol

I could list many more examples but my aim isn't to rub salt in wounds, I aim to improve this game for the steamlings. Humor me and listen to your own logic for once - f*ck the 200 vets, help the thousands of steamlings get established and settled in.

The API is good and helps the game. Just get rid of the coordinates so we can't take advantage of it to triangulate stuff for easy kills.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Rage Rex wrote:

Not sure what I think about Specific Coordinate Intel after the fact (real time is obvious disaster). I can see how its an issue now with a low population and not much data to sift through. But assuming Steam takes off my thought is that without 3rd party software it would be hard to find useful patterns. And then if would mainly be probabilities, not certainties about future action.

Well spoken sir. I agree with this. On the surface the idea of coordinates of death being posted sounds like a horrible idea. But putting that information to use to create any sort of advantage seems far fetched. TBH, having the name of the island is still the most important info, much more critical than the actual location of the battle.

Especially if the killin bot business picks up like we hope, the relevant data obtainable from this information will be watered down to the point of being nearly useless if not down right misleading.

I think.....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Actually, it seems the more I think about it. The more I kinda like trying this out. Its not like you can grief noobs on alpha with this or anything. So its really only an issue on beta and gamma. And tbh, giving people more information on where to likely find pvp seems like a great idea. More Pew!

And really if you keep harvesting noralgis in the same place as you were killed at before, then you probly deserve to lose another bot and have your crop burned to the ground....

I was thinking that this could be an issue showing who is hitting saps and who is defending their saps etc. But it really isn't any different than matching up the killboard with the intrusion list to find that same info out. If anything this is easier for new players to figure out.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

105 (edited by Merkle 2014-04-09 01:43:56)

I can only count to 10, must not be me.  Followed by flailing hands screaming reset the server.

Issue to address. API security.  That is all. Move along.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

106 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-04-09 05:04:49)

DEV Zoom wrote:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. The API doesn't include anything (to my knowledge) that sequer.nl doesn't show already to the public.

API access is given to those who actively want to use it "for the greater good" of the community, and provide a public service, not for some shady selfish business.

For those of us with limited (if any) knowledge on API, specifically Perpetuum's API...

Is the data displayed on Perp-Kill and sequer.nl delayed by result of game mechanics or as result of the individuals managing the sites?

If one day Doek swallowed a crazy pill or was infiltrated by nano bots losing all conscious control could he release Kill data in real time? Do the managers of those two sites have actual ability to show that data in real time, even if by design they are delaying it's release?

And if anyone can access data from sequer.nl or Perp-kill what is to stop them from having that data in real time?

For record Doek seems honorable guy. I have no idea who manages Per-Killl. But I don't care how honorable they are its bad bad policy to leave that in player hands. "Good for the Game" is another piss poor standard of fuzziness.

Rage Rex wrote:

For those of us with limited (if any) knowledge on API, specifically Perpetuum's API...

Is the data displayed on Perp-Kill and sequer.nl delayed by result of game mechanics or as result of the individuals managing the sites?

The delay is done on our side and consequently propagates to every API client.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Gargaj can we get PVE kills too?  Also modules and cargo?  And can we get a player API that shows everyone's skill, along with personal assets by terminal?  Seriously though pve kills?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

PVE kills both ways or just NPC-to-player?

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Modules (both dropped and destroyed, separated ideally) for player deaths would be awesome.

Pve kills vs player he means. And by PVE include turrets too.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

112 (edited by Ville 2014-04-09 15:05:33)

DEV Gargaj wrote:

Any PLAYER bot that basically dies in Perpetuum (Online =P ), let it be TO observers, TO turrets, TO spawn deaths.

And modules of those bots killed, unless that's pushing way too much info for the server.

Edit: clarity

Ultimately I would be happy to see when ANY player dies and where.

113 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-04-09 15:45:18)

I don't think knowing the exact location is game breaking but I would prefer if it wasn't made public.  Then again, I would change just about every intel related feature in the game if I could...

Slightly off topic but...
I remember looking up every hostile player's names while doing sites in faction warfare, in eve, to get an idea of what their fit may be.  Gotta say, it did not make the experience any more fun. 
The choice was, wait for a sloooow third party website to load or try to engage blind and feel stupid while fighting rock with scissors.

+1
-Confucius

Ville wrote:

Gargaj can we get PVE kills too?  Also modules and cargo?  And can we get a player API that shows everyone's skill, along with personal assets by terminal?  Seriously though pve kills?

Show everyones skill, pve deaths, and assets ..... umm, somehow asking for something absolutely ridiculous is supposed to illustrate a problem with this topic how, exactly??

But, its funny, you actually bring up an excellent point. EvE killmails provide the exact fits, including the cargo contents, of every ship that dies in pvp. This particular intel is far more crucial than location of death co ords could ever be. And yet, somehow EvE bravely struggles forward each day in spite of this obvious critical free information available on 3rd party sites without logging into game.

And Lemon to clarify, you are correct that not everyone has unlimited free access to the API data. What I meant of course was that if someone wanted to, specifically a major player in your faction, or any faction for that matter, requested the data for use similar to perp-kill or sequer.nl, they would get it. There's nothing stopping Bandwagon900xxyz for compiling the same data just so you dont have to worry about some secret magical political advantage.

Tbh the API should show who is 'gifting' accounts too!

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Tbh the API should show who is 'gifting' accounts too!

lol

Cassius wrote:
Ville wrote:

Show everyones skill, pve deaths, and assets ..... umm, somehow asking for something absolutely ridiculous is supposed to illustrate a problem with this topic how, exactly??

But, its funny, you actually bring up an excellent point. EvE killmails provide the exact fits, including the cargo contents, of every ship that dies in pvp. This particular intel is far more crucial than location of death co ords could ever be. And yet, somehow EvE bravely struggles forward each day in spite of this obvious critical free information available on 3rd party sites without logging into game.

And Lemon to clarify, you are correct that not everyone has unlimited free access to the API data. What I meant of course was that if someone wanted to, specifically a major player in your faction, or any faction for that matter, requested the data for use similar to perp-kill or sequer.nl, they would get it. There's nothing stopping Bandwagon900xxyz for compiling the same data just so you dont have to worry about some secret magical political advantage.

Sarcasm hasn't caught on in Canada ?

118 (edited by Cassius 2014-04-09 17:32:34)

Ville wrote:

Whats this sarcasm all aboot, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

Cassius wrote:
Ville wrote:

Whats this sarcasm all aboot, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

What in God's green Earth did I just watch and why do I have a sudden urge for Waffles, that aren't blue.

120 (edited by Rage Blackout 2014-04-13 21:18:24)

rofl   Doek  tongue

http://tinyurl.com/nbqntcx

http://sequer.nl/killboard/index.php?a= … l_id=42235

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Because what you perceive is not ridiculous enough to you is beyond ridiculous to us.

its pretty ridiculous

not as ridiculous as sealing off Alpha 2's though

rofl

Please add NPC -> players deaths on API 

thanks

Cassius wrote:
Ville wrote:

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Rage Rex wrote:

The delay is done on our side and consequently propagates to every API client.

Having read the whole thread, your all paranoid! tongue

On a serious note, there can be no 'shady selfish business' as previously mentioned because, as quoted above,  the delay is controlled by the dev's/game mechanics, not by the 3rd parties who have created the killboard sites.

Other cases such as 'omg they know where i farm noralgis' should probably refer to the multitude of threads regarding risk vs reward (or the lack of in some cases) that i've read recently......you live on/own a beta island, it might not be safe you know!

Also Zoom, dropped/destroyed mods in killmails plz yarr

Yeah. Also, I know both me and Mitix had a delay built-in when it was still instantly available.

Good luck finding farms using the killboards - I wouldn't say it can't be done, but it might be easier/faster to just roam beta's and look for them yourself. In the meantime, the statistics are making pretty pictures.

124 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2014-04-18 08:00:04)

Doek wrote:

Yeah. Also, I know both me and Mitix had a delay built-in when it was still instantly available.

Good luck finding farms using the killboards - I wouldn't say it can't be done, but it might be easier/faster to just roam beta's and look for them yourself. In the meantime, the statistics are making pretty pictures.

I really am enjoying your work on ya KB Doek smile keep up the good work!

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Doek wrote:

In the meantime, the statistics are making pretty pictures.

Syndic wrote:

Very often PVP occurs in the middle of *** nowhere

Glad to see all this PvP happening away from TPs and stns, oh wai...